OP
Matthew Dambra

Matthew Dambra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news my friends and fellow reefers following along,
Due to my melanarus wrasse being a fat pig he tried to steal what was left of some reef roids in the scolys mouth and actually broke its mouth so its been a significant set back. The coral is not dead yet but definitely not doing as well as it had been previous to this incident.

jsh mee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I woke up yesterday morning to find this one a little trashed in part of one side. :/ Any ideas what could have caused it? I put a little egg crate box over it in case a fish started nibbling. Nothing has changed in my tank (no fish added, no parameter shifts, no new equipment), and it hasn't moved from the spot it healed up so fast. Here's a pic from this morning.
395a351f59c05331b8be016071bd7de0.jpg

jsh mee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news my friends and fellow reefers following along,
Due to my melanarus wrasse being a fat pig he tried to steal what was left of some reef roids in the scolys mouth and actually broke its mouth so its been a significant set back. The coral is not dead yet but definitely not doing as well as it had been previous to this incident.
How's it doing now?

OP
OP
Matthew Dambra

Matthew Dambra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I woke up yesterday morning to find this one a little trashed in part of one side. :/ Any ideas what could have caused it? I put a little egg crate box over it in case a fish started nibbling. Nothing has changed in my tank (no fish added, no parameter shifts, no new equipment), and it hasn't moved from the spot it healed up so fast. Here's a pic from this morning.
395a351f59c05331b8be016071bd7de0.jpg
For it to deteriorate that fast in only one spot id probably say fish or hermits are the culprit but you never know

jsh mee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For it to deteriorate that fast in only one spot id probably say fish or hermits are the culprit but you never know
Yeah, that's it. I made a makeshift egg crate box held to the glass with a magnifloat to keep it suspended, and it started healing up right away. I still don't know who the culprit is though. >:(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using REEF2REEF mobile app

OP
OP
Matthew Dambra

Matthew Dambra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's it. I made a makeshift egg crate box held to the glass with a magnifloat to keep it suspended, and it started healing up right away. I still don't know who the culprit is though. :mad:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using REEF2REEF mobile app

Hopefully you can find out who the problem child is haha, but glad to hear its doing better now

OP
OP
Matthew Dambra

Matthew Dambra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update and hopefully a picture later today. I have started dipping my Scoly in Seachem Reef Dip and it seems to be helping out quite a bit. In conjunction with continuing to target feed and also putting a make shift cage around it so my melanarus wrasse doesn't continue to damage it. (melanarus continues to try and rip food from the scolys mouth)

Segalplayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this Scoly today for $25. They told me not buy it and didn’t want to sell it to me, then after much negation I was able to get it. Will be feeding reef roids , phytofeast, and will be using the LPS amino acids and vitalizer. Super excited to see how this goes and hope I am able to bring this piece back!

17d103bdcc4109fbabe7457be9f5897b.heic
64a7b2895fde1d2087f1092bcd20e6ce.heic
eb26b15b52e2f050ee022bfa5d21071e.heic

Segalplayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar to acans. Medium light around 50-100 par and medium flow seems to work well. They’re not too picky though.

Also wanted to say, great peice! I nearly lost a scoly while I was still figuring out my dosing schedule with two part and nopox. I kept dipping and clearing it of detritus and dead tissue then finally once conditions improved it made a full recovery - I was quite surprised! Very durable animals, don’t give up on them. Since then I’ve started collecting more. I have a pink, green and an ultra Aussie orange/yellow/pink/green one. Wanting to get a blue variant next

How often did you feed it? And how often did you dip? Planning on feeding every other day?

OP
OP
Matthew Dambra

Matthew Dambra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often did you feed it? And how often did you dip? Planning on feeding every other day?

I have been removing it from the tank and target feeding it every day that i can, dipping it once a week to help it fight off any sort of infections.
With my work schedule ive been feeding it two days on and one day off
Recovery is slow but hopefully will continue in the right path

Segalplayer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been removing it from the tank and target feeding it every day that i can, dipping it once a week to help it fight off any sort of infections.
With my work schedule ive been feeding it two days on and one day off
Recovery is slow but hopefully will continue in the right path

You dipping in coral rx and seachem or just seachem?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back