Opinion on lights

Bernard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been in the hobby for a couple years now. My first set of decent lights were Vegas. Loved them but heard all the hype on the radions so I started on piling up gear for my next build and grabbed some gen 3 radions. Been using them about 2 months. Not as easy to use at the Vegas in my opinion. Mush more eye appealing though. I don't find my coral colors pop as much with the radions. Now to top it off I have aquifer a set of pacific sun r2 Hyperion 3x150 watt lights. So started reading again and these do not have a ton of info out there but what The little I could find had really good things to say and were compared to the radion pro.

So I currently have all 3 lights and need to decide which on to sell. Radions are on a 120 rimless and I think I'll keep them there as the further plan is to have that fish only. Just think they look the best for design.

Would like some feedback from people that have owned these light and opinion on which to put on a 220

Thanks

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell what your criteria are for deciding? Is it a budget thing, or how the fixtures look, or...?

OP
OP
Bernard

Bernard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more just the best for a mixed reed. For the next build it will eventually have a canopy so not really concerned with the design.
Just undecided on which I should put on it for the best growt and color of my coral.
inalready own all three so not really concerned about the budget. Actually going to sell which ever I don't use

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I don't know what you see in any of these lights vs the others. What even made you buy any of them in the first place? Hype? A particular feature? Price? How the fixtures look?

In case it was hype, none of them are "The Best™" for corals, if that's what you're looking for. "The best" thing is more dependent on other factors like nutrients and stability along with lighting. Any of the lights you have (as well as many that you don't) will grow corals excellently when applied properly.

If you don't otherwise care about the lights or have any specific goals for them or criticisms of them now that you've used them, I'd say the obvious move is to sell the more expensive fixtures and keep the less expensive ones.

Redirect the funds to another cause like a new doser or more corals. :)

(I would cycle them all out for different lights altogether, but that's a different answer to another topic. ;) )

OP
OP
Bernard

Bernard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol.
Yes first set (Vegas) was due to cost. Radions id say was the hype but also just really like the eye appeal.
The pacific sun was I actually had no intentions of buying just kind of happened.
What would you cycle them out to?

Thanks for all the good info so far.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a good chance what I'd exchange for would be be DIY. But if not DIY...

Do you like the "shading and drama" created by the spot-type lights you have presently?

Or do you have any urges toward T5 because of how homogenous the light is?

Your 220 is 72x24x30"H?

OP
OP
Bernard

Bernard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had t5's. I've had only led. I don't have the knowledge or time to do a diy. That would drive me crazy.

Correct on the size.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a very easy DIY....if you can operate a twist tie and screw in a light bulb, it shouldn't be too hard! And would only have to cost around $200.

One good commercial option is the CurrentUSA Orbit Marine Pro 72" dual kit. Two strips you could suspend over the tank a little. They'd provide even coverage across the whole tank. $1080 for the pair, according to a quick google.

Have you actually tried all three lights over this tank, BTW? Seems like they are different enough – especially the Pacific Sun's – that you should be able to form some preferences about them. I kind of imagine the Pacific Sun's giving more even coverage, with less shadows.

Since you have all those fixtures, I'd be doing side-by-side comparisons with all the lights.
  1. Run all three of one brand and make notes.
  2. Then switch one light to another brand and note the comparisons you make.
  3. Switch that same light out for the other brand and note the comparisons there too.
  1. Repeat with all three of another brand, and make notes.
  2. Switch one light for another brand and note the comparisons.
  3. Switch that same light out for the other brand and note the comparisons there too.
Repeat...

Make sense?

Using a light meter during the comparison will help a ton.

OP
OP
Bernard

Bernard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes a lot of sense. I haven't tried them on the tank yet. The 220 is in process. Still working on building the stand and few other things to get. Had the Vegas on a 120 for about a year. Have only had the radions hooked up a few months. And just got the pacific sound a few weeks ago. They do seem to cover way more area than the other over a 4' tank.
But in fairness to the lights the pac sun has 3 sets of leds so it would be like 3 fixtures of the others. So yeah I think I'll try the side by side comparison as you've explained over the 220 when its up. Thanks a ton. Great suggestion.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check back in with your thoughts – I'd really like to hear what you think seeing them first hand. :)

OP
OP
Bernard

Bernard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do. It'll be a few more weeks before set up to do test but I will update.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 31 54.4%
  • NO

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back