Opinion: Should I prazi my tank?

breefrost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debating if I should take action: my panther grouper has been itching on the sand bed, only occasionally the past couple months, but lately it seems more often he has an itching fit (swimming on his side against the sand 1-3 times). Id bet hes doing it more than once a day.
No other visible issues or changes in behavior from him, and no other fish have been having any issues at all.
I havent added a fish since March, the last time I added snails was in July, added chaeto in August. I freshwater dip everything before adding and iodine/revive dip all frags.
I run a UV sterilizer in the sump but its probably not 100% effective. Also run a skimmer and chemipure elite carbon.

Id like to do a freshwater dip to see if that helps but he’s proving very difficult to catch, and I really dont want to rip this tank apart or keep stressing him out.
I do notice more pods running around all over the rocks, Im wondering if maybe theyre annoying him but not necessarily doing any harm.
I dont want to go nuclear by treating the tank with prazi, but apparently its very safe to use on a reef tank.
Id appreciate any thoughts of wisdom
Thanks

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 50+ (I know its not ideal but its a predator tank, I do weekly 25% water changes)
pH 8.3 (i use seachem marine buffer)
Salinity 1.023ppt
Temp 76F

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have put prazi in my reef tank as well as many others. It wouldn't hurt, but I have no clue if it will fix the problem you are mentioning.

OP
OP
breefrost

breefrost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have put prazi in my reef tank as well as many others. It wouldn't hurt, but I have no clue if it will fix the problem you are mentioning.
I think its the pods - he seems to be spending more time hovering than in his cave. Prazi would wipe out the pods right? Or is there a natural predator that he wont be able to eat?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its the pods - he seems to be spending more time hovering than in his cave. Prazi would wipe out the pods right? Or is there a natural predator that he wont be able to eat?

Pods won't be killed by prazi. (Edit: typical) Copepods wouldn't cause an issue though.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a species of copepod that shows up in aquariums once in a while that is considered a micro predator, it can rise up off the rocks and bite the fish, causing flashing and scratching. I usually see it in very old tanks though. Prazi won’t treat for that. If the panther doesn’t have frayed fins and/or cloudy eyes, I doubt it is flukes, and I wouldn’t dose with prazi.
Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back