Opinions needed on API test results plz!

OP
OP
Fish Tank Face

Fish Tank Face

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Fish Tank Face

Fish Tank Face

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the time being. And as a indication whether there is ammonia or not .
you aren’t looking for accurate measurements

imo according to the old way . You’re almost there .

any plans of what you’re stocking when it’s ready ?
I'm JUST starting to think about that. :) I'll probably start with some small designer clowns while the tank is new. But it's big enough for a good assortment, so I'm sure I'll spend several months thinking about it!

OP
OP
Fish Tank Face

Fish Tank Face

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_0849.jpg
    IMG_0849.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0846.jpg
    IMG_0846.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 33

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
API ammonia test kit will always show a minimum of 0.25 with salt water, and that is fine. Your tank will be cycled within 2 weeks of adding an ammonia source. Just wait it out. Bottled bacteria is a waste of money unless you get this one (You don't need it since you see a nitrite reading). https://fritzaquatics.com/products/fritzzyme-turbostart-900-saltwater.

My guess is that you will see 0 nitrite reading within 3 days, and at that point, your tank is cycled.

I couldn't find the Hanna Nitrate HR checker online for the longest time. Finally, I found one at the LFS at my new place.

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I find is that bottled bacteria will kick start the ammonia process. For example, if dosing ammonia you should see nitrite register on your test the next day. If you have a PH probe and alkalinity test on hand, you will likely see the PH has dropped as bacteria converted the ammonia.

But, the process to convert nitrite to nitrate will take weeks to become sufficient/meaningful.

So as @brandon429 is saying, the front end of the cycle is almost a non event. Congrats, it’a done!

Personally, I don’t like to keep dosing ammonia or food because you are just accumulating nitrate which will take some time to start processing. Instead, I would want to wait 10 days then return my buffering to a normal level and finally add fish. The buffering being a bit of a technical observation on my part and maybe not necessary.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't mean to confuse you. between me and @brandon429, I would take his advice. I am pretty sure I am just paraphrasing what you would find on his thread anyway.

I don't know what is in his thread but after seeing what he wrote in here, I agree.

In 17 years I've never tested for ammonia or nitrite. The LFS did the first two weeks of my very first tank. Then a local reefer reached out to me on the forums and explained what Brandon is talking about.

I've never tested to cycle a tank since then.

OP
OP
Fish Tank Face

Fish Tank Face

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that live rock? Beautiful tank btw
It’s caribsea life rock. (dry but tinted purple to give it an “insta-stablished” look). My nano was started with real ocean live rock and funny enough, it still doesn’t look as pretty as this stuff!

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s caribsea life rock. (dry but tinted purple to give it an “insta-stablished” look). My nano was started with real ocean live rock and funny enough, it still doesn’t look as pretty as this stuff!
Is that the stuff that’s supposed to be coated with dormant bacteria? looks great.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prediction here just so that as seneye owners grow day by day (we see more new owners more than ever now) we get to check this prediction one day as one of the owners cycles with only fish food:

I bet any system ghost fed for two weeks is cycled and can demonstrate the requisite controls on that machine. The bottle bac was the accessory, I bet that much wait time alone lends a cycle such that bottle bac wasn’t needed. Bottle bac gets things ready in 1-3 days...source for claims: every posted seneye log on this site.

here is a classic 30 day ghost feed only no bottle bac bringup

he was done before that date, we just don’t know by when. It’s why I don’t think two weeks at ghost feed only is a bad time guess, a basic cycling chart sets the ammonia control at ten days.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back