Opinions on this vendor response?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently placed a good sized order from a new vendor that I haven't used before and I was supposed to receive it last Wednesday but it still hasn't arrived.

The other day I asked him where do we go from here as the corals will most likely be DOA, this was his response minus the company name:

"I am sorry for UPS's delay and understand your frustration. Please still follow our previous steps (regarding photos, etc) as we outlined previously.

Unfortunately, shipping delays are something that is completely out of our control as outlined in our Shipping / DOA Policy:

" we are not accountable for damages during shipping due to FedEx/UPS personnel, weather, or acts of god unless FedEx/UPS approves the claim and issues a credit. In the event of a loss or damaged package, it is the buyers responsibility to pursue a claim with FedEx/UPS."

It is part of the risk of ordering online. In previous times (pre-covid) there was much less delays however its hit or miss. UPS still has a pretty good track record. While we previously shipped via Fedex, which was less expensive, the delays were outrageous. We are in the final steps of outlining an optional insurance policy that customers will have the option to select for situations like this. However, since we have not formally posted the insurance option, I will still replace/credit your order assuming there are losses, again we just ask that you properly document.

I apologize for the inconvenience on behalf of UPS"

This response is fairly undesirable to me and may make it hard for me to order from this vendor again in the future. IMHO a vendor should honor the corals will arrive in good condition no matter the circumstances and if there is issues they should handle the issue on their end and it shouldn't be the customer's issue to deal with.

Am I wrong?

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently placed a good sized order from a new vendor that I haven't used before and I was supposed to receive it last Wednesday but it still hasn't arrived.

The other day I asked him where do we go from here as the corals will most likely be DOA, this was his response minus the company name:

"I am sorry for UPS's delay and understand your frustration. Please still follow our previous steps (regarding photos, etc) as we outlined previously.

Unfortunately, shipping delays are something that is completely out of our control as outlined in our Shipping / DOA Policy:

" we are not accountable for damages during shipping due to FedEx/UPS personnel, weather, or acts of god unless FedEx/UPS approves the claim and issues a credit. In the event of a loss or damaged package, it is the buyers responsibility to pursue a claim with FedEx/UPS."

It is part of the risk of ordering online. In previous times (pre-covid) there was much less delays however its hit or miss. UPS still has a pretty good track record. While we previously shipped via Fedex, which was less expensive, the delays were outrageous. We are in the final steps of outlining an optional insurance policy that customers will have the option to select for situations like this. However, since we have not formally posted the insurance option, I will still replace/credit your order assuming there are losses, again we just ask that you properly document.

This response is fairly undesirable to me and may make it hard for me to order from this vendor again in the future. IMHO a vendor should honor the corals will arrive in good condition no matter the circumstances and if there is issues they should handle the issue on their end and it shouldn't be the customer's issue to deal with.

Am I wrong?
Am I reading, at the end that he said he’d credit any losses with documentation? Most vendors do say they aren’t responsible for shipping delays, though most take care of it anyway. I find his last paragraph acceptable, but contradictory to the section about UPS.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea looks like they say they will credit or replace losses.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, vendors are only able to ship via Fed Ex or UPS. Vendors can only say that they left in good order. Beyond that is out of their control. I feel your pain as I have had loss in shipping as well.

I honestly see no issue with the vendors response.

Last edited:

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a pretty good vendor. He was stating his policy that you agree too (whether or not you actually read the terms and conditions and regardless of where the disclaimer is posted...(gotta keep on that thread a little)...but then the vendor gives you a one time exception saying that he is going to eat the costs. Sounds like a pretty darn good vendor. Please feel free to share the name as that is a vendor that I would be willing to do business with.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all is good as seems all you got to do is take photos ( probably while they still in bag and within first 1- 2 hours after receiving them ) or whatever the terms are around documentation.and he says he will REPLACE or CREDIT your order,but more than likely you will either lose your shipping costs or have to pay more shipping costs if he sends same corals out again so I don't see no problem at all.

But for me I've never ordered any livestock and don't think I ever will because of situations like this as seems like can be a headache if get doa and got to pay twice for shipping which could get delayed again.but I do read alot say don't order in winter and look upcoming weather conditions for the week the shipment expected where you live and where the vendor is and order if weather good along the line where the parcel will travel to get to you including any hubs ^_^

Goodluck

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Am I wrong?
seems like a pretty appropriate response

craig_19xx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i must agree with the folks here, i think you jumped the gun on your conclusion... He clearly states he will honour the order, he just wants the proper documentation wich is totally understandable, as how many people do you think have tried to get a refund on an order that actually came alive. Lots of shady cats out there!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently had an expensive coral order that died the 2nd day in my aquarium. The vendor gave me a full credit. When I later used the credit and bought different frags, the vendor included an additional frag - a nice sized piece of the original coral I had ordered. All frags have done very well, including the extra green one below.

Give them a chance…

1641764664819.jpeg

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently had an expensive coral order that died the 2 day in my aquarium. The vendor gave me a full credit. When I later used the credit and bought different frags, the vendor included an additional frag - a nice sized piece of the original coral I had ordered. All frags have done very well, including the extra green one below.

Give them a chance…

1641764664819.jpeg
Dare I ask who is said awesome vendor? Feel free to DM me. (why does that sound so dirty?!?)

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, all of the shipping issues really highlight the benefits of buying directly from other reefers in your area. I'd hit up the pnwmas website to find sellers you can drive to in the PNW.

Fwiw the seller's response seems extremely fair to me. You will get a refund and that's generally a best case scenario. It sucks when animals die in shipping. It's just better to buy locally right now.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really feel that in a situation like this where neither party is to blame, the vendor should at least make it a 50/50 loss. They will still come out ahead of the buyer because of the profit.

Both parties then assume the risk of shipping.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have highlighted the part of the response that I'm having an issue with.

"We are in the final steps of outlining an optional insurance policy that customers will have the option to select for situations like this."

In my opinion insurance on a shipped live goods order should be mandatory inclusion in shipping costs and not an additional option at what I would assume to be an additional cost.

My interpretation of the response was the package wasn't insured and future shipments would be insured at an additional expense.

Although I am happy they are going to replace the order

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have highlighted the part of the response that I'm having an issue with.

"We are in the final steps of outlining an optional insurance policy that customers will have the option to select for situations like this."

In my opinion insurance on a shipped live goods order should be mandatory inclusion in shipping costs and not an additional option at what I would assume to be an additional cost.

My interpretation of the response was the package wasn't insured and future shipments would be insured at an additional expense.

Monday morning QB. The policy was clear at the time of the order and you accepted the risk. You could have inquired about insurance and about using your own shipping account and paying the insurance as opposed to claiming it should be mandatory after the fact. Who makes it mandatory and who enforces it?

Did you use the wrong term and meant to suggest it should be customary instead of mandatory? If so, I would agree with you, given the shipping industry has changed their liability policies for delays due to covid and weather. So does the vendor who is taking steps to deal with that.

Free will has consequences. Fortunately for you, the vendor is covering your loss if there is any.

Good learning moment. Know the terms of your transactions, a few minutes of due diligence will spare you of misunderstandings.

Last edited:

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really feel that in a situation like this where neither party is to blame, the vendor should at least make it a 50/50 loss. They will still come out ahead of the buyer because of the profit.

Both parties then assume the risk of shipping.
You mean, in a situation where the vendor clearly states their policy, they should instead pay half of the losses? I can understand if you wish that to be the policy to begin with but that’s not this situation.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You mean, in a situation where the vendor clearly states their policy, they should instead pay half of the losses? I can understand if you wish that to be the policy to begin with but that’s not this situation.
I would never purchase from such a vendor in the first place.

I’m just saying I feel it’s wrong to throw all the burden on the customer.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never purchase from such a vendor in the first place.

I’m just saying I feel it’s wrong to throw all the burden on the customer.
With the exception of Live Aquaria..I believe that Literally every live stock vendor on here has said policy. Some make more exceptions but they could..but willing to bet this is part of all terms and conditions.

Ok. I did a quick check..not ALL of them are this way..but many of them are. I guess Caveat Emptor

Last edited:

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You aren’t crazy man. The seller’s response was definitely not one that would ever lead to me buying from him. Even though he agreed to honor it if you jump through his hoops, no honest businessman spends 3/4 of an email pushing blame on the shipping company and quoting fine print. That’s a last resort maneuver. If there was some big heated exchange prior to this and this was his last resort - I’d get it. As a response to an opening email.. unacceptable.

Let the others on here championing his response give him their business. I’ll be avoiding this vendor like he has COVID.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back