OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren’t crazy man. The seller’s response was definitely not one that would ever lead to me buying from him. Even though he agreed to honor it if you jump through his hoops, no honest businessman spends 3/4 of an email pushing blame on the shipping company and quoting fine print. That’s a last resort maneuver. If there was some big heated exchange prior to this and this was his last resort - I’d get it. As a response to an opening email.. unacceptable.

Let the others on here championing his response give him their business. I’ll be avoiding this vendor like he has COVID.
Idk, I guess there are only a few of us left that believe in customer service. If they sell shipped live goods insurance should be included in the shipping costs. I have no issues with sending them photo even though they agreed with me that the corals are dead now.

I guess I'm just an average arm chair quarterback and I'll be staying with my tried and true vendors from here on out that I've dealt with over the years

Last edited:

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I understand the email, I also understand where your coming from. It’s all in how it is read and interpreted. To me, that’s a pretty decent response but also a very direct response. It’s not a cushy bubbly response.

That said, I don’t think he’s saying the package wasn’t insured, but that they’re trying to add an additional insurance option that a customer can purchase that covers shipping delays and other things outside of the vendors control and they will handle everything else. Although the photos thing will likely still come into play too.

If you wish to share the vendor you can, if not, that’s up to you. But I have found like others, the initial policy is a very common policy among vendors

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the vendor offered additional insurance options? And if they did, would buyer have purchased it. Hard to tell without knowing the detais.

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the exception of Live Aquaria..I believe that Literally every live stock vendor on here has said policy. Some make more exceptions but they could..but willing to bet this is part of all terms and conditions.

Ok. I did a quick check..not ALL of them are this way..but many of them are. I guess Caveat Emptor

There is insurance that covers the shipping cost as well as livestock losses if there is a delay for any reason.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren’t crazy man. The seller’s response was definitely not one that would ever lead to me buying from him. Even though he agreed to honor it if you jump through his hoops, no honest businessman spends 3/4 of an email pushing blame on the shipping company and quoting fine print. That’s a last resort maneuver. If there was some big heated exchange prior to this and this was his last resort - I’d get it. As a response to an opening email.. unacceptable.

Let the others on here championing his response give him their business. I’ll be avoiding this vendor like he has COVID.

I wonder if the vendor offered additional insurance options? And if they did, would buyer have purchased it. Hard to tell without knowing the detais.
They didn't

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vendors legally are fully responsible for your order getting to you as ordered. For dry goods this even includes cases where you didn’t purchase insurance. (Spoiler alert insurance is for the shipper not the shippee).

some rights you can not “sign away”.

simplest thing to do call you credit card and report not delivered as ordered and that you are attempting to return.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not order from this vendor again. While it is not their fault that the package was delayed I gaurauntee any coral I sell to people locally as long as I have more frags for one week after they pick up. I’ve purchased from several locals that do the same. I get he’s covering you but that should be standard policy industry wide regardless of circumstances.

As far as shipping why should the buyer have to pay for shipping twice for a package they didn’t receive? One LFS near me had handled this by no longer using UPS or FedEx but a third party. Especially with outrageous prices some corals command how can you justify making the buyer pay a second shipping charge when their first one was for nothing? Major shipping companies care more about losing business from a coral vendor than they do from us

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vendors legally are fully responsible for your order getting to you as ordered. For dry goods this even includes cases where you didn’t purchase insurance. (Spoiler alert insurance is for the shipper not the shippee).

some rights you can not “sign away”.

simplest thing to do call you credit card and report not delivered as ordered and that you are attempting to return.
Do you have a source for this claim? I find it very doubtful that there would be a federal law to this effect. I could be wrong though so just supply the statute.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't like being told to pursue a claim against UPS/FedEx knowing that only the shipper can do so.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unless you have a Chase credit card who often sides with the vendor...

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is insurance that covers the shipping cost as well as livestock losses if there is a delay for any reason.

Wow. Are all pacific east packages in insured this way? Is it an added line item like a box charge?

This must make it way easier for seller's to provide helpful resolutions to difficult situations.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my problems have arisen from shoddy shipping policies and poorly-trained courier employees, and not livestock vendors. I've had one FedEx order screwed up because the agent didn't believe that they could ship livestock, and then ranted at me instead of working things out with the shipper.

I had another order arrive, mostly DOA, because it took three days for the courier to ship in-Province (at the expedited rate). In that case, the courier (Purolator) refused to accept responsibility for anything and didn't even refund the shipping fees. I've dealt with the vendor many times, and he's great, so I couldn't let him eat the cost, even though he offered to do it. I live in a remote area, and the option is either a ten-hour drive and two hundred dollars in gas costs, or elevated shipping fees. Unfortunately, shipping remains the most reasonable option.

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Are all pacific east packages in insured this way? Is it an added line item like a box charge?

This must make it way easier for seller's to provide helpful resolutions to difficult situations.

We insure all packages we ship and absorb that cost. When there is a claim, we deal with it, not the customer.

brightlifeaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand how your problem is that the vendor told you they are working on in insurance policy, that very few like Pacific East have, since Covid shipping has changed drastically in terms of delays and yes I think vendors should evolve to insured packages or at least have the options but before purchasing if you don’t like their policy or etc don’t order from them and the vender is breaking his policy to credit you and yet your still upset

brightlifeaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk, I guess there are only a few of us left that believe in customer service. If they sell shipped live goods insurance should be included in the shipping costs. I have no issues with sending them photo even though they agreed with me that the corals are dead now.

I guess I'm just an average arm chair quarterback and I'll be staying with my tried and true vendors from here on out that I've dealt with over the years
Only a few that belive in customer service??? stated that their policy doesn’t cover carrier delays and decided to cover it anyways, and stated they are working to add insurance. Before Covid there were minor delays in packages for these businesses so the insurance wasn’t necessary as they were so low they can take care of the customer, like reef chasers did, now with so much more delays they are trying to get an insurance plan, how is that bad customer service? Im just trying to understand where they went wrong

Last edited:

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only a few that belive in customer service??? Reef chasers stated that their policy doesn’t cover carrier delays and decided to cover it anyways, and stated they are working to add insurance. Before Covid there were minor delays in packages for these businesses so the insurance wasn’t necessary as they were so low they can take care of the customer, like reef chasers did, now with so much more delays they are trying to get an insurance plan, how is that bad customer service? Im just trying to understand where they went wrong
I don’t think he mentioned reefchasers (unless I missed it). I know another member did in response to a different question but didn’t think Skinz had posted the vendor

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back