Opinions sought: RedSea R-S G2 700, Waterbox Reef 190, CADE 1500, or custom

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally people don't know more than one larger system at a time, so I realized a purely objective viewpoint is hard to get to. However, some opinions would help, so feel free to espouse them freely :).

I'm finally replacing my AGA 90g. Its been through a lot but kept up nicely over its 15 years of operation and one move. (Yikes).

Space wise, the ideal tank size is in the 60"x24"x24" area. I'm only considering options using aluminum or steel framed stands (from mass market options).

Contenders:

Waterbox Insignia Reef 190.5
~$4k
Pros: Closest to the ideal size, short lead times, not a lot of things I don't want.
Cons: What am I sacrificing? Customer support? The expanding tab locks in the stand don't have a lot of redundancy.

Red Sea Reefer-S G2+ 700
~$5k
Pros: Thicker glass, eurobraced, more fasteners in the stand framework with gussets add redundancy
Cons: 27" deep is pushing it. Bad rap from seal-gate in the past.

CADE 1500 Reef
~$5k
Pros: Seems well liked. Flat back look is nice. Built in separate stand electrical cabinet is nice.
Cons: Don't love the glossy doors. 26" deep is not ideal. Wasted space in the display tank for the ATO reservoir (I'm already plumbed from a self-refilling 20g RODI container)

CDA Custom
$8-10k
Pros: Much better build tank with extra reinforcements, welded steel frame, external or hybrid overflow. I can get the exact best size. Responsive vendor. I can get a canopy.
Cons: Price. Whats a budget anyway.

Ruled out:
IM 170 EXT - 30" is too deep. I'd love the space, but the space won't love me.
Red Sea Reefer G2 625 - No metal stand, even though dimensions are more ideal.

What else am I missing here? Any other contenders?

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the Red Sea S-700. You won't have any seem issues because these have all been upgraded:
* Aluminium stand with 2-3 front struts for support
* Thicker glass with corner bracing on all seams
* Euro bracing along the top
* Aluminium support lip for the "floating" feature

I've got the 750XXL v3 and it has all of the improvements except the euro bracing, and no issues.

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the Red Sea S-700. You won't have any seem issues because these have all been upgraded:
* Aluminium stand with 2-3 front struts for support
* Thicker glass with corner bracing on all seams
* Euro bracing along the top
* Aluminium support lip for the "floating" feature

I've got the 750XXL v3 and it has all of the improvements except the euro bracing, and no issues.
I recently bought a slightly used 625 v3. Does the this tank come with those improvements too. Have you heard any issues with this tank model.

And to the thread. If you got the money and it's going to stay in one place like a decade, I would get the new red sea or custom built. Sounds like red sea improved their build quality with the new tanks?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a slightly used 625 v3. Does the this tank come with those improvements too. Have you heard any issues with this tank model.
I believe it has thicker glass and corner bracing (look for triangle plastic in the corner). It may or may not have an aluminium brace for the stand that fits on the longer aide of the cabinet (if it doesn't, order one from Red Sea ASAP). As for the aluminium lip to protect the "floating" feature, just feel under the front glass above the cabinet doors. If you feel metal - you have it. If you can feel the glass - you don't.

Gregory Stephens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three red sea roller mat 1200's and they are nothing but a problem. I got a custom tank. The guy who sells it to you will care. Life reef will never give you any support.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the opinions so far. I’ll take a deeper look at my space and see where I end up.

Custom is always nice, especially when you can get something in a 3 month lead time and not years. As you can tell I keep tanks forever. But it’s also a nice vacation somewhere in price difference

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back