ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see reef discussions broken up into two subsections:

1) Poster's opinion based on their own real life personal experience

2) Poster's opinion based on their own logical thoughts and but actually have NEVER tested their opinion

There's a mounting group of opinions that go into pages and pages of paragraph after paragraph of blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah....

but when you ask the poster if they have ever actually TRIED whatever theyre so logically against....many times the answer is:

"Ahhhh no , I've never tried (x). I just know logically its (y).... (y) is your answer, I'm convinced....and (x) is completely inaccurate"

Really Dr Phil? You're giving advice on hair styles when you're bald yourself?

Tired of it

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol,
Why not three or four.....

A smart reefer only believes half of what he reads,a wise reefer knows which half.

All I’m saying is don’t categorize this hobby, it been this for years and see how far we’ve come.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My profession is a Commercial/Industrial Ref and Hvac technician and one thing I have learned and use everyday due to the ever changing industry is " the more I learn, the less I know". I brought this up because no one knows it all or has done it all. Some have done more than others and that is were I get my info from. Opinions are part of the learning process, you just have to be humble. Because you learn something doesn't mean you know everything. Like it has been said on this forum before, if you ask several people how to do something, you will get several different answers and they will all say that theirs is the correct way.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly noncommon sense examples only reveals the face of one owns arrogance

Same can be said about your thread....you asked for opinions correct? This thread reads in a drama induced response which seems to be what you've been looking for in all honesty

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to try everything I can on the market and see for myself. I have seen many claims of such and such working. When many times when I try the method or device it only half way works or causes another problem that wasn't even brought up. I am wary of anyone making a claim for a product or who is using a product because it was given to them. I see this happen all the time in the hobby especially on Youtube video's.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting topic! You know what they say, "opinions, everybody's got one".

IMO after being in this hobby for years this forum has been a wealth of information as well as LFS etc, some good and some bad.

I take in all the info, do my own research, and do what I think is best for my tank. Sometimes things have gone south, but most of the time that has worked for me.

The good people on here for the most part are in this hobby because they love it and are passionate about it. They want everyone to succeed. Those are the people worth seeking out when you need help! [emoji6]

Last edited by a moderator:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Counterargument... I recommend food soaking praziquantel and metronidazole to treat intestinal worms/internal flagellates, and I have personal experience using both medications to treat those issues.

However, when it became apparent that prazi resistant worms were a "thing" I began digging for alternative treatments. Based upon peer reviewed journals (and anecdotal evidence) I discovered that levamisole, flubendazole, fenbendazole could be used in lieu. I am currently experimenting with fenbendazole, but based upon what I had read I was confident in recommending it before I had actually used it myself.

Now, I made it clear to others I was recommending it without real life experience; but I thinking having to put that information in a different "subsection" is going a little overboard. ;) Probably just saying you are recommending something without actual experience is sufficient. :)

sailplanes2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an Opinion. There's a really useful forum tool some might want to use occasionally. This is based on my personal experience reading recent threads by this user.
tempsnip.jpg

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Counterargument... I recommend food soaking praziquantel and metronidazole to treat intestinal worms/internal flagellates, and I have personal experience using both medications to treat those issues.

However, when it became apparent that prazi resistant worms were a "thing" I began digging for alternative treatments. Based upon peer reviewed journals (and anecdotal evidence) I discovered that levamisole, flubendazole, fenbendazole could be used in lieu. I am currently experimenting with fenbendazole, but based upon what I had read I was confident in recommending it before I had actually used it myself.

Now, I made it clear to others I was recommending it without real life experience; but I thinking having to put that information in a different "subsection" is going a little overboard. ;) Probably just saying you are recommending something without actual experience is sufficient. :)
Yea I agree with that! Just say what you recommend, but make it clear that you haven't tried it yourself! Nothing wrong with that! Or if you do try something and it didn't work out.....please share that too! [emoji16]

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back