Opinions

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions based on experience are anecdotal, with people often failing to isolate factors and mistaking correlation with causation. I think it is perfectly acceptable to view claims as preposterous without actually having done them yourself if they strain credulity. It is then the obligation of the claimee to provide ‘proof’.
You can't be using those complicated words for use simple folk, LOL!!!;)

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore me.

My tank's 99% perfect and 20yrs of built up knowledge I will just keep to myself .......as half of you cant keep a coral nor a fish past 12mos. Keep those LFSs in biz rebuying stuff! Haha Haha Haha Haha

I will just continue to monitor all the pretentious people like half of you on R2R or RC on all your failures

Nothing is perfect and did anyone mention you act really childish

Last edited:

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore me.

My tank's 99% perfect and 20yrs of built up knowledge I will just keep to myself .......as half of you cant keep a coral nor a fish past 12mos. Keep those LFSs in biz rebuying stuff! Haha Haha Haha Haha

I will just continue to monitor all the pretentious people like half of you on R2R or RC on all your failures

$14.99

Last edited:

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What may work for one person, through actual experience, may not work for someone else. A lot of this hobby is situational.

Having said that, there are general "knowns," or givens, for certain things that apply across the board. Things that you don't need to do yourself because you know what the outcome will be.

Even if somebody says they got "x" result by doing "y," they could be exaggerating. You won't know with 100% certainty regardless of if the person says they did it through experience or not.

Unfortunately, it seems that reliable, scientific, books on this hobby have all but vanished. That, for the most part, is what folks sould be referencing for the basics.

As for the advice, you either take it or you don't. The decision is always up to the individual.

Last edited:

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

In reading the op original post, this is how I would view it. Now I’m not up to par on all the fish stuff I know that but don’t claim to, (well I have expressed opinions on things I have used in our research lab etc) anyway back on topic lol.

The op original post I see as this, medical doctor prescribe medications, not always based on experience but based on research and signs and symptoms. It’s also known that medical doctors always say do not self medicate and or change the dosage with out talking to us first. This is the whole reason why doctors call this practicing medicine. They may or may not have the experience, if they have the know the signs and symptoms and basic research. (Yes it’s more complex than what I have written, but to the sake of cheese puffs I’m cutting it short).

Even though the medical doctor may be correct the patient has the option to follow or not follow said information. Our hobby is the art of practicing man made reefs, we may never know who is write and wrong. In the same sense as medication signs and symptoms are different for, every human, and some meds will and will not work for one person or another. Why would reefing be any different, they are live ecosystems, and every tank is actually different. Yes they all have water, yes they have living things in them, well every human has a brain, most every one has a heart or type of heart (if they have an artificial one). But they in reality are different, emotionally, physically, and mentally. Some meds that a friend says worked great for them aka aspirin, may not work on their friend they may need Something much stronger such as norco for their severe migraines. Do they both have headaches yes, do the same meds always work no.

The whole point of being a community and friends and just have the openness to listen is the fun part. Just because you don’t agree doesn’t mean you can’t learn something new by the others idea or reason behind it. I will always listen to those who have ideas, regardless of my views or opinions, because of two reasons, 1.) it’s what a good person and friend does, 2.) I may just learn something new, and I for something I love as this, yes I want to learn as much as possible. Another example is I had to to take differential equations in my undergrad courses, why? I haven’t used them since I have graduated my post graduate. But lol I still know how to do them, (still hate them), I learned vectors in class also, super neat subject and fun, still haven’t used them in real life but I learned something new, I grew my knowledge base. One should never be afraid to learn something new and or even conduct their own research on the subject matter.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore me.

Bereating and insulting half the people on the forum isn't very useful, and your attitude in this thread will be frowned upon by most. If you truly have 20 yrs of knowledge, maybe share some of that knowledge to benefit the community instead of writing opinion posts and polls all the time?

People like me can learn something from people like you who have been around a while. I'd rather see some substantive posts about your experiences rather than questioning everyone about their own, and certainly don't like the condescending tone. This is a pretty easy-going community compared to some others.

Like Mama said: "If you ain't got nothing good to say, keep your mouth shut" (Please read that in a heavy southern accent, as the good Lord intended) :)

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bereating and insulting half the people on the forum isn't very useful, and your attitude in this thread will be frowned upon by most. If you truly have 20 yrs of knowledge, maybe share some of that knowledge to benefit the community instead of writing opinion posts and polls all the time?

People like me can learn something from people like you who have been around a while. I'd rather see some substantive posts about your experiences rather than questioning everyone about their own, and certainly don't like the condescending tone. This is a pretty easy-going community compared to some others.

Like Mama said: "If you ain't got nothing good to say, keep your mouth shut" (Please read that in a heavy southern accent, as the good Lord intended) :)
The only thing you will learn from this guy is how to hit the ignore button. I usually don't get involved in posts like this one but when someone goes off and says the things he did it irritates me. All forums have trolls, he just showed everyone that he is likely a troll. He might have knowledge in reef keeping, he might not. But his bedside manners suck and even if he was knowledgeable, I would be reluctant to take his advise based on this ridiculous thread alone.;Vomit

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny stuff.....While we are on the subject of breaking up threads let do more.
We can start with "tank builds" Let make this into 3 items.
A) People that actually built a tank.
B) People that assembled a system.
C) People that only did interior decorating.
This is where I am at right now. I would like to do a "build thread" but I didn't build anything except the interior of my tank. Canister filter, hob skimmer, powerheads, lights, heater, tank and stand.

Coral Passion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing you will learn from this guy is how to hit the ignore button. I usually don't get involved in posts like this one but when someone goes off and says the things he did it irritates me. All forums have trolls, he just showed everyone that he is likely a troll. He might have knowledge in reef keeping, he might not. But his bedside manners suck and even if he was knowledgeable, I would be reluctant to take his advise based on this ridiculous thread alone.;Vomit
I have always thought it is a bad idea to censor any individual, including their opinions. If some one says somthing stupid you should be able to tell them so and hopefully stop the spread of false information. By muting them you stop yourself from challenging bad ideas, leave those who are less experienced and more open to accepting bad advice making the wrong decision.

The mute button imo is not really needed as those who break forum rules through abusing others should be band and not muted.

All opinions should be heard, not all opinions are valid. Let ones character be defined by his words and actions.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always thought it is a bad idea to censor any individual, including their opinions. If some one says somthing stupid you should be able to tell them so and hopefully stop the spread of false information. By muting them you stop yourself from challenging bad ideas, leave those who are less experienced and more open to accepting bad advice making the wrong decision. Opinions are heard but the rules are what make this a great forum.

The mute button imo is not really needed as those who break forum rules through abusing others should be band and not muted.

All opinions should be heard, not all opinions are valid. Let ones character be defined by his words and actions.
To be fair the censorship done here are when members break the forum rules they agreed too so I disagree with you there.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you truly have 20 yrs of knowledge, maybe share some of that knowledge to benefit the community

I DO! and a lot of posters say I'm wrong....then when I challenge their challenge by asking if they ever have tried it "my way".....they just give theoretical critical responses

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal apologizes to you @saltyfilmfolks bc you're one of the cool open minded people on here

Thanks man.

We’re all learning here. Opinions, as we know can shift with new knowledge. It’s human nature.

But yes. I agree, some opinions stink , but not as much as they are sometimes delivered. Humans.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I DO! and a lot of posters say I'm wrong....then when I challenge their challenge by asking if they ever have tried it "my way".....they just give theoretical critical responses
Maybe it's how you respond? Many ways to run a reef and no way is better than another. You insulted half the people here that love this community. Your threads can be somewhat condescending. You come at people for disagreeing with you and because they haven't tried it your way there wrong and you insult constantly......

Coral Passion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC Reef did you add this into a quote of my post ? I cant remember putting it in? Well it needed to be said so well done.
d128c2143e9f6d340459ce92d8ae5c93.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back