Opinions

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it’s just me but I think this thread is .... I don’t really know how to word it. Provocative, maybe? There are MANY things in all areas of life that are so obvious that experience is not necessary. Swallowing fish hooks (random, I know), crashing your car against a tree, stabbing yourself with a kitchen knife. It’s pretty obvious that a 12” fish shouldn’t go in a 15” tank. I don’t need experience to know that burning my house is a bad thing to do. Maybe these are extreme examples but the idea is universal. I guess I don’t see the point... there are people that need advice and, if I can, I will give it. My advice would be based on experience, education, info gathered from others that are more experienced than I or maybe just plain common sense. I think we all know that not every suggestion made by every person is always goin to be 100% correct 100% of the time. That’s why when we ask a question, we ask the entire board. We want multiple opinions.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the OP's original suggestion for splitting a forum is pretty silly... but he is entitled to his/her opinion.

Just because I haven't tried to do it your way doesn't make you right and me wrong. That's a totally conceded theory. And I've seen other reefers do things that work well for them that didn't work for me (and vice versa). This is a hobby with so many facets and a flow chart to success that has so many diverging branches that's for many newbies it's impossible to follow or decide what to do. I think that's why so many beginners in this hobby fail and quit.

Around my local club is an old saying:
"In the marine aquarium hobby, if you ask a question you'll get a dozen different opinions from the first 10 replies!"

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

In reading the op original post, this is how I would view it. Now I’m not up to par on all the fish stuff I know that but don’t claim to, (well I have expressed opinions on things I have used in our research lab etc) anyway back on topic lol.

The op original post I see as this, medical doctor prescribe medications, not always based on experience but based on research and signs and symptoms. It’s also known that medical doctors always say do not self medicate and or change the dosage with out talking to us first. This is the whole reason why doctors call this practicing medicine. They may or may not have the experience, if they have the know the signs and symptoms and basic research. (Yes it’s more complex than what I have written, but to the sake of cheese puffs I’m cutting it short).

Even though the medical doctor may be correct the patient has the option to follow or not follow said information. Our hobby is the art of practicing man made reefs, we may never know who is write and wrong. In the same sense as medication signs and symptoms are different for, every human, and some meds will and will not work for one person or another. Why would reefing be any different, they are live ecosystems, and every tank is actually different. Yes they all have water, yes they have living things in them, well every human has a brain, most every one has a heart or type of heart (if they have an artificial one). But they in reality are different, emotionally, physically, and mentally. Some meds that a friend says worked great for them aka aspirin, may not work on their friend they may need Something much stronger such as norco for their severe migraines. Do they both have headaches yes, do the same meds always work no.

The whole point of being a community and friends and just have the openness to listen is the fun part. Just because you don’t agree doesn’t mean you can’t learn something new by the others idea or reason behind it. I will always listen to those who have ideas, regardless of my views or opinions, because of two reasons, 1.) it’s what a good person and friend does, 2.) I may just learn something new, and I for something I love as this, yes I want to learn as much as possible. Another example is I had to to take differential equations in my undergrad courses, why? I haven’t used them since I have graduated my post graduate. But lol I still know how to do them, (still hate them), I learned vectors in class also, super neat subject and fun, still haven’t used them in real life but I learned something new, I grew my knowledge base. One should never be afraid to learn something new and or even conduct their own research on the subject matter.

It been said before but I like Sarah

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bereating and insulting half the people on the forum isn't very useful, and your attitude in this thread will be frowned upon by most. If you truly have 20 yrs of knowledge, maybe share some of that knowledge to benefit the community instead of writing opinion posts and polls all the time?

People like me can learn something from people like you who have been around a while. I'd rather see some substantive posts about your experiences rather than questioning everyone about their own, and certainly don't like the condescending tone. This is a pretty easy-going community compared to some others.

Like Mama said: "If you ain't got nothing good to say, keep your mouth shut" (Please read that in a heavy southern accent, as the good Lord intended) :)

He won’t share his 20 years of knowledge, because (1) he’s selfish, and (2) having a fishtank for 20 years isn’t the same as building a reef for 30 years. He might have some fish and corals in a glass box, but that doesn’t mean his ‘experience’ is actually worth anything. Remember, petco ‘technically’ is a marine fish store... just saying!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh dear, that was a bit 'dense' wasn't it ..... I'll leave you to pick your own definition of dense LOL. I was attempting to point out the inherent falacy of the original post - that having done something is inherently more credible than a logical view. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. I don't have to go out and play in traffic to know that it is a bad thing to do. Folks do things on their tanks and then claim a certain set of benefits. But perhaps they did a bunch of other things at the same time; or the benefit that was claimed would have happened independent of that which they thought provided said benefit. So, if something strikes me as inherently ridiculous, whether I have tried it or not, I take a skeptical position. It is, in my view, the 'responsibility' of those making the claim to provide credible evidence. In most cases they either cannot, or do not, so it becomes anecdotal. It is for this reason that so many things that were 'all the rage' at some point don't persist because they actually don't do what the shills said they did.

I've been keeping reef tanks for over 30 years and have certainly 'fallen' for more than my fair share of silly notions. I'd like to think I'm mostly immune to new ones ...... mostly .....

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C’mon guys.
This thread is dead and this guy is as well, we all know!
AF845E30-5793-486A-8A4B-1A0DC223724D.jpeg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did we get to the part where we all hug and accept each other for our differences no matter how flawed they appear superficially?

Dude I’m past the hugging what about just a beer :D

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup - I'm just doing some morning reading over a cup or two of coffee while spooling some Stevie Ray Vaughn and America...

Oh - how about them A's :)

Bro, I’m telling you it’s all over moneyball 2

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I'm going to watch that movie tonight there Diesel. Thanks!

Classic movie.
I’m on the screen at 2:30.
It will be a important game.
Wonder if B.B. will be watching or on the treadmill

Last edited:

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the oldies under us, there was a thread a few years back and that went on forever.
It started the same way from a poster that couldn’t find his satisfaction on R2R
I believe it called something like stop team or stop mods.
This is similar imo

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back