Optical Liquid Level Switch to Apex Breakout Box Help

webmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey team,

I am trying to make a DIY thing where I connect a float and optical switch both to a breakout box. I have seen some drawings online as to the wiring the optical switch, but I would like to get some help from someone who has done something similar or who knows more about wiring these and can offer some visual aides.

I appreciate your help.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Optical switches are not directly compatible with breakout boxes because these need a power source to energize the internal diode. You would need an FMM module to utilize this type of sensor.

OP
OP
webmanny

webmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely understand and agree, but I was thinking that I could provide it energy via an alternate 5Vdc and have the output open and close the breakout box port. I have looked into the FMM module and I may end up getting one, but I want to give this a try. I really enjoy building things and I feel that there is no logic reason why I would not build something to make this work. I may be wrong, but hopefully someone else here has done something similar and can jump in with some advice.

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@webmanny Any progress on this?

I've been thinking about doing this and the current idea was the following. The breakout box detects if a switch is triggered when the signal is pulled to the ground. So you need a safe way to pull it to the ground using that Optical sensor if you connect both grounds (the one from the breakoutbox with the power supply from the optical sensor). You could power the Optical sensor using the Aquabus power supply.

I do wonder if you could just use an optocoupler to pull the signal to the ground. Worst case you should use relays which would always work.

OP
OP
webmanny

webmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did try a few different things, but I never found a safe and reliable way of doing with DIY. Finally, I found this board on eBay, which already has everything.

I use this for my ATO container, to find out when it is near empty and also when it is full, so I remember to turn off the RODI filter.

Check out item 302060477802 on eBay.

Screenshot_20191011-065211.png

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an idea on how to do it but it requires some DIY work. Though it would be a nice project as it allows to connect lots of sensors even though the breakout box only has 6 inputs. Will post the link here when I create the post in the DIY section.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did try a few different things, but I never found a safe and reliable way of doing with DIY. Finally, I found this board on eBay, which already has everything.

I use this for my ATO container, to find out when it is near empty and also when it is full, so I remember to turn off the RODI filter.

Check out item 302060477802 on eBay.

Screenshot_20191011-065211.png

So that relay is just open/close? I only see one relay so am not sure how that would work with breakout

OP
OP
webmanny

webmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this diagram will help. This is how I connected everything to my breakout box and I use it today. However, I realized that this version is 220V. The one I got is 12Vdc. Everything else is the same.

l1600.jpg

OP
OP
webmanny

webmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an idea on how to do it but it requires some DIY work. Though it would be a nice project as it allows to connect lots of sensors even though the breakout box only has 6 inputs. Will post the link here when I create the post in the DIY section.

I'm very interested in seeing your solution. It sounds very interesting.

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can find a way to use the 6 ports of the breakout box and have the Apex interpret it as a 6bit signal, I would be able to create 32 inputs on just that single breakout box connector. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/can-i-program-apex-neptune-to-handle-a-6bit-input.654757/

If that works, I need an easy and safe way to simulate a contact trigger for that breakout box. I wonder if an optocoupler or something like that works to avoid having to use 6 relays. Should be possible with just a transistor/mosfet I suppose.
New thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...ensors-except-the-flow-sensors-for-15.654759/

Last edited:

Ramez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this diagram will help. This is how I connected everything to my breakout box and I use it today. However, I realized that this version is 220V. The one I got is 12Vdc. Everything else is the same.

l1600.jpg
Hi there, do you mind clarifying the below:
1- is the Break out Box supplied by 12V or 24V, should I buy this relay in 12 or 24V?
2- Can you explain how you connected it to the breakout box, wires from and to the BOB from this module?
3- Which sensor is low and which is high?

Thank you !

OP
OP
webmanny

webmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, do you mind clarifying the below:
1- is the Break out Box supplied by 12V or 24V, should I buy this relay in 12 or 24V? No, the breakout Box is just a switch that is normally open. The power is just to drive the optical switch box.
2- Can you explain how you connected it to the breakout box, wires from and to the BOB from this module? I connected one of the NO wires and one of the com wires to the BOB.
3- Which sensor is low and which is high? You will have to play with it to find out

Thank you !

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back