ORA: Full Spectrum vs. Actinic Glow

TheAquaNut_Fl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this day in age, what is more desirable to us hobbyists? Is it the new designer corals with flashy names and vibrant coloration found under that "actinic glow" or the classic showstoppers that set the foundation for generations of reef hobbyists before us?

What category of reefer are you; Full Spectrum or Actinic Glow, how long have you been in the hobby and what would you like to see more of in the future from Aquaculture producers like ORA?

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use metal halides on my tank still so, of course, my vote is for the Full Spectrum. Red planets, pink lemonades, pearlberrys, strawberry shortcakes, etc. are just awesome corals everyone should have. However, there are some new corals that look great under full spectrum, SC Orange Passion and Vivid Confetti are two examples of the "new and flashy" corals that look great under full spectrum.

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this day in age, what is more desirable to us hobbyists? Is it the new designer corals with flashy names and vibrant coloration found under that "actinic glow" or the classic showstoppers that set the foundation for generations of reef hobbyists before us?

What category of reefer are you; Full Spectrum or Actinic Glow, how long have you been in the hobby and what would you like to see more of in the future from Aquaculture producers like ORA?
I run both full spectrum and all blues later in the day. I have mainly SPS and quite a few classics, along with quite a few actinic glow style designer named frags. Been in the hobby since 2004.

OP
OP
TheAquaNut_Fl

TheAquaNut_Fl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use metal halides on my tank still so, of course, my vote is for the Full Spectrum. Red planets, pink lemonades, pearlberrys, strawberry shortcakes, etc. are just awesome corals everyone should have. However, there are some new corals that look great under full spectrum, SC Orange Passion and Vivid Confetti are two examples of the "new and flashy" corals that look great under full spectrum.

Feel free to post photos of some of those recommended corals in your system under full spectrum!

OP
OP
TheAquaNut_Fl

TheAquaNut_Fl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run both full spectrum and all blues later in the day. I have mainly SPS and quite a few classics, along with quite a few actinic glow style designer named frags. Been in the hobby since 2004.

I love the idea of a "full spectrum" system not only in a lighting sense but in the variety of corals that I keep so, I can appreciate your approach on reefkeeping and I'm sure many others do too!

Do you remember what coral drew you into this hobby and what kind of lighting it was under?

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a frag of orange passion and Walt Disney, they both look sooooo dang good under a 20K Radium.

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of a "full spectrum" system not only in a lighting sense but in the variety of corals that I keep so, I can appreciate your approach on reefkeeping and I'm sure many others do too!

Do you remember what coral drew you into this hobby and what kind of lighting it was under?
Can't really say for sure what corals drew me to the hobby, maybe zoanthids. Although I do like zoas and palys still, I'm heavily addicted to SPS, but have a love for all corals.
Some frags under 12K:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back