ORA Stubby Clown (What's your thoughts on them?)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
3-4.jpg

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a local breeder that sometimes ends up with stubbies here too, but they don't have the pronounced hump.

ct_vol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime I see those dern things I cringe... I'm not a fan... I think of the Hunchback of Notre Dame...

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL! Thanks....

They do not look that bad in person trust me. You can hardly even tell. They are cute because they are so little. :D

ct_vol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! Thanks....

They do not look that bad in person trust me. You can hardly even tell. They are cute because they are so little. :D

If it makes you feel any better, I think its a fantastic pic... Just don't care for the subject... lol ;)

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care for mutations either, getting a line of reproduction for color and pattern is one thing but getting one reproducing for a mutated line is sad to me.....There has been alot of that in the FW cichlid hobby. To the point where they have parrots that have no tail or other fins....That is a shame.....I will say it is cute but shouldn't be a line of reproduction....

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea I don't necessarily agree with the breeding, but they seem to be very happy and are very healthy.

LorenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QFT, this is not the case of breeding for species improvement.

How would this go over if someone started breading dacshunds with hump backs? There would be protesting.

I don't care for mutations either, getting a line of reproduction for color and pattern is one thing but getting one reproducing for a mutated line is sad to me.....There has been alot of that in the FW cichlid hobby. To the point where they have parrots that have no tail or other fins....That is a shame.....I will say it is cute but shouldn't be a line of reproduction....

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

How would this go over if someone started breading dacshunds with hump backs? There would be protesting.

You cant really say much with Rhino Clowns in your tank! :hammer:

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Exactly......Whats QFT? One of the shops here in Kalamazoo will not order Parrotfish for there cichlid section just because of the monstrosity that they are. The less they are purchased the less likely they will continue to be bred. But that is a futile fight I would think, unless it can become a movement...For ORA to do that is really sad knowing that they are "trying" to preserve the species and have more aqua cultured fish in the market.....Personally I think any mutation like that should be culled.....But that is just me.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now I feel bad! :) To be honest I really had no idea what they were and didnt even notice the hump till I got them. I thought stubby meant short. I don't agree with it either is my official stand. :)

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was surprised to see ora selling fish that should have been culled IMO. I used to breed Malawi Cichlids and when the babies were deformed like that they were culled. IDK, maybe im some sort of purist but i didnt see it as right.
Either way nice pic and i hope your fish leads a long life.

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how people have been getting so irked lately about breeding mutations, guess they don't like what's become of the goldfish and all its well known mutation bred lines...

LorenK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QFT = Quoted for Truth.

That being said, a mutant clownfish is still higher on the feel-good chart than a wild caught clown.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how people have been getting so irked lately about breeding mutations, guess they don't like what's become of the goldfish and all its well known mutation bred lines...

I don't care for those either actually, to see a fish bred out that can barley see or swim or it's body is so large compared to the fins that it struggles is unfortunate. If there is a fish that is bred in the manner to which it is being improved like longer life, increased immunity to disease or something that is one thing.....But that is an argument for another day and not for us to debate in Revs thread.....Sorry Rev it has gotten off track...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back