Orange shoulder tang color question

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on my end from the original post (I believe it was nearly more than a year ago?)
The Orange shoulder remained "yellow-ish" for the duration of this entire year. But started a bout a week ago the fish suddenly begin color transition, the head gets blue and the body grows darker, finally looking more like an adult orange shoulder. There are two major changes to the tank during this time:
1. I began soaking nori sheets in selcon for an hour before I feed
2. Added a goldflake angel, convict tang, and a clown tang. All smaller than the OS and are mingling well with existing tank members.

Personally I am leaning towards the attributing the color shift based on selcon's nutritional benefits. But I also wonder by adding more "submissive" fish to the tank pushing the OS up in the hierarchy helps boost its confident to finally shift in color.
Thoughts?
I don’t believe it would have anything to do with dominance or hierarchy
I got mine it still had a little yellowish but the back half was starting to change to a different shade

now it will go from different shades of grey to almost jet black with a florescent orange “shoulder “
As you can see by the pictures he’s not the largest . And I would argue the yellow tang and juv emperor are the dictators of the system

Attachments

• 477FD7A4-8D68-43AA-839C-29746E2E0809.jpeg
    477FD7A4-8D68-43AA-839C-29746E2E0809.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 28
  • 560458F1-CA06-45E0-92D6-B1060FCE51E0.jpeg
    560458F1-CA06-45E0-92D6-B1060FCE51E0.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 239A1F38-9F8A-4CA0-8D74-DEF09A60057A.jpeg
    239A1F38-9F8A-4CA0-8D74-DEF09A60057A.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 35

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on my end from the original post (I believe it was nearly more than a year ago?)
The Orange shoulder remained "yellow-ish" for the duration of this entire year. But started a bout a week ago the fish suddenly begin color transition, the head gets blue and the body grows darker, finally looking more like an adult orange shoulder. There are two major changes to the tank during this time:
1. I began soaking nori sheets in selcon for an hour before I feed
2. Added a goldflake angel, convict tang, and a clown tang. All smaller than the OS and are mingling well with existing tank members.

Personally I am leaning towards the attributing the color shift based on selcon's nutritional benefits. But I also wonder by adding more "submissive" fish to the tank pushing the OS up in the hierarchy helps boost its confident to finally shift in color.
Thoughts?
I’ve found that it is more to do with the Submissive fish. Every tank I’ve seen them in generally has them on a perfect diet but they seem to be a submissive fish to the bosses.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe it would have anything to do with dominance or hierarchy
I got mine it still had a little yellowish but the back half was starting to change to a different shade

now it will go from different shades of grey to almost jet black with a florescent orange “shoulder “
As you can see by the pictures he’s not the largest . And I would argue the yellow tang and juv emperor are the dictators of the system
You may find, although your most boisterous fish are the emperor and yellow tang, that doesn’t mean they are the bosses. My CBB is my most aggressive fish but nobody messes around when it comes to my Foxface. He may be peaceful but it’s very clear he’s the big boss.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does it feel to live my dream? :(

My orange shoulder tang could not look more yellow. Especially since adding the 6500K T5.

One of the reasons I removed my yellow tang was in hopes it would make the orange shoulder the most dominant to make it change. It was a fail.

I cannot get this fish to change colors. I’ve tried everything I could possibly do.

IMG_8195.jpeg

(The desjardini was added 2 weeks ago for hair algae. The yellow tang was removed a few months ago).

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does it feel to live my dream? :(

My orange shoulder tang could not look more yellow. Especially since adding the 6500K T5.

One of the reasons I removed my yellow tang was in hopes it would make the orange shoulder the most dominant to make it change. It was a fail.

I cannot get this fish to change colors. I’ve tried everything I could possibly do.

IMG_8195.jpeg

(The desjardini was added 2 weeks ago for hair algae. The yellow tang was removed a few months ago).
Lol my feeding is outrageous and you already know the nutrients problems I'm dealing with now. However keeping my fish happy and healthy is priority #1. I don't think you can have 3 acanthurus species without alot of food and flow.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Other.

Back