Orange spot filefish

Greg@LionfishLair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've kept OSFF for about 4 years, and my wife weaned them from scratch. I've never seen her work that hard weaning fish. Once established, they're pretty hardy.

We got a few browned-out acros cheaply from a friend who had an online coral biz to tide them over, then experimented with different foods by smearing them into dead coral skeletons. My wife used to hide beneath the covers and peek out a tiny hole to watch and see if they picked at anything. Each little peck was a tiny victory. Eventually, we learned what the fish liked and they began eating from the water column.

Sometimes you can find CB specimens that are already eating prepared foods. They're pretty easy to keep.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've kept OSFF for about 4 years, and my wife weaned them from scratch. I've never seen her work that hard weaning fish. Once established, they're pretty hardy.

We got a few browned-out acros cheaply from a friend who had an online coral biz to tide them over, then experimented with different foods by smearing them into dead coral skeletons. My wife used to hide beneath the covers and peek out a tiny hole to watch and see if they picked at anything. Each little peck was a tiny victory. Eventually, we learned what the fish liked and they began eating from the water column.

Sometimes you can find CB specimens that are already eating prepared foods. They're pretty easy to keep.

hah, i think i just found your wife's thread on 3reef, those filefish are gorgeous man:

A little info about my fish: Orange Spotted Filefish- Oxymonacanthus longirostris. - 3reef Reef Aquarium Forum

Greg@LionfishLair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be her...altho our real focus is on keeping and studying venomous fish (Scorpaeniformes), we still dabble in other "oddball" species as well. :smile:

OP
OP
dmorrison

dmorrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear you can successfully wean them onto foods other then cheap sps. Do they pick on any other corals besides the sps?

Greg@LionfishLair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't keep ours with any corals, so I can't answer that...we gave up reefing a few years ago for no reason other than we find weird fish more interesting. However, from what I understand, they really aren't too hard on corals as peeps do keep them in reefs.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back