Orange Spotted Goby

Campfiregirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow fish lovers,

I am super curious if anyone else has had a serial killer Orange Spotted Goby?

Here's the story....So we bought a Tiger Pistol Shrimp before buying a Goby. We had it for a few months before introducing our Orange Spotted Goby. We always saw the Pistol Shrimp at feeding time, and there was always a new hole around where he lived. After introducing the Goby, we never saw him again.

So yesterday we decided to buy another Tiger Pistol Shrimp, we found his carcass this morning with all it's insides gone.

All tankmates:
Orange Spotted Goby
2 Clowns
Yellow Tang
Molly Miller Blenny
Striped Blenny
Fighting Conch
Various snails

Anyone have any ideas as to whom is the culprit?

Thank you in advance!

Strad12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orange spotted goby as in Guttata goby or orange spotted jawfish? I have a guttata and a pair of clowns in my nano, and I never had an issue when I had a candy-striped pistol shrimp paired with the goby

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish is an Amblyeleotrosis guttata, or Orange Spotted Prawn Goby.

Campfire Girl acclimated the shrimp the same way she acclimates her fish, by floating and adding tank water over a period of 20 minutes or so. The shrimp went straight to work digging a home under the rocks that the Goby lives under. The shrimp was 1/2 devoured when found this morning, under the same rock he thought was his home. Since this is the second time this happened, and the Goby is the only fish that resides in that area of the 90 gallon display, he seems to be the most likely culprit.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 mins is fast for a shrimp. They are not fish and are much more sensitive. I still doubt it was the goby.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 mins is fast for a shrimp. They are not fish and are much more sensitive. I still doubt it was the goby.
You sure you don't have a lobster? I have a lobster AND a pistol shrimp in my tank. But that is an exception not the rule.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back