Ordered a BRS 4 stage RODI plus kit.

Marine2149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was getting extreamly high KH and CA. I was informed it was due to using tap water, which I heard was highly unrecommended. Although I did watch some videos of "experts" saying it's not ideal but ok I went ahead and said F it.

I bought instant ocean reef crystals and conditioned my tap with prime. Little did I know until after someone suggested I test my tap did I find out my local water comes out at 8dkh. Found out real quick when I added salt that it also adds an additional 8dkh. So I found out why my dkh was abnormally high.

So I decided to look for an RODI kit. I was on the fence about whether to just buy water from my local fish store or get the kit. I was eyeballing the BRS kit since everybody said it was good. After reviewing prices and realized I was just going to get water from my lfs until I found this bad boy (4 stage plus kit) on eBay for $114. I ordered new filter kit for 30 from BRS and now we'll see what happens.

Any DONTs I should think about once I get it. I plan on hooking it in my washer room since the spigots are located there.

Any suggestions are welcomed and thank you.
Screenshot_20200712-054719.jpg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a "Don't" for you...

Don't buy your water from the local fish store. Most give you water from their system and use new water to replace what they've given you.

Make your own. RODI is a good investment if you are serious about the hobby.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can build your water saver kit to add to it if your water pressure is over 60psi. You will be to make your water insanely fast and you will waste a lot less. If you have a garden, save the waste water for it.

Idaho Lone Wolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI water is your best option and having your own system is cheaper in the long run. I recommend putting a float valve on your water container so it will shut off when the container is full. That will help keep from getting water all over your floor when you forget to shut it off the RODI system and your container overflows. In the future you may want to consider adding a second RO membrane to double your water output and lessen your waste water. Bulk Reef Supply has good videos to watch regarding RODI systems. Good luck.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the current TDS of your tap water?
What is your pressure of your water supply?
Do you have a water softener?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely agree you need something to stop the RO production so you don’t overfill your container. Float valve is a good option. I chose to use the XP Aqua Flood Guardian instead. Seemed more versatile to me since I can make any amount of water I want simply by changing where I place the sensor. But if you’re always making same amount then a float valve will definitely work

OP
OP
Marine2149

Marine2149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waster psi is unknown.

TDS, I stop keeping track since it's well I we 180. I live in AZ and water hear is super hard due to the desert.

jstncoffman

Nothing happens overnight in this hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was getting extreamly high KH and CA. I was informed it was due to using tap water, which I heard was highly unrecommended. Although I did watch some videos of "experts" saying it's not ideal but ok I went ahead and said F it.

I bought instant ocean reef crystals and conditioned my tap with prime. Little did I know until after someone suggested I test my tap did I find out my local water comes out at 8dkh. Found out real quick when I added salt that it also adds an additional 8dkh. So I found out why my dkh was abnormally high.

So I decided to look for an RODI kit. I was on the fence about whether to just buy water from my local fish store or get the kit. I was eyeballing the BRS kit since everybody said it was good. After reviewing prices and realized I was just going to get water from my lfs until I found this bad boy (4 stage plus kit) on eBay for $114. I ordered new filter kit for 30 from BRS and now we'll see what happens.

Any DONTs I should think about once I get it. I plan on hooking it in my washer room since the spigots are located there.

Any suggestions are welcomed and thank you.
Screenshot_20200712-054719.jpg
I have the same one @ 150GPD love it, I also added twin DI's can be mad at something that works!!

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waster psi is unknown.

TDS, I stop keeping track since it's well I we 180. I live in AZ and water hear is super hard due to the desert.
You will probably need to upgrade to a 6 or 7 stage then. You can just get the new reactors. You do not have to purchase the a whole new system.

jstncoffman

Nothing happens overnight in this hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waster psi is unknown.

+1 on the upgrade, super easy and affordable for what your getting, also a closed loop sediment filter on your water mixing staion helps tremendously, you would be super surprised what it pulls out of the water, even after you just mixed your salt

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the page for their upgrades. Not sure what all you would need. Getting a comprehensive water test done would be a great idea. Plus, getting the drinking water upgrade kit would a great boon for the whole family.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waster psi is unknown.

I would find out what your water pressure is. If it is not 80psi I would get a booster pump. Do not get a piggyback membrane with your TDS being that high.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Marine2149

Marine2149

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I looked into it and apparently the water saving upgrade kit has a maximum TDS of 300 ppm. Arizona water seems to be around this Max. I'll do a comprehensive test and compared to the city charts

Thanks everybody for all the input and the direction. This is really making the hobby enjoyable.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back