OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a few hundred pound of natural sand from the Texas coast. These sand were under water right where the waves crashing in.
I got a few nice pictures of my Regal and my Flasher
FlasherWrasses2018042201.jpg
McCoskeri2018051501.jpg
RegalAngel2018051301Larger.jpg

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to restock my tank, and trying to arrange time to get my animals back from my friend. He is busy and I am busy. Our schedule is such that he is busy when I am not and vice versa.
I also ordered about 100 lbs of crush coral to add on the top of my sand. This keep the Goby happy and give all my fauna a place to live. The fine sand from the Gulf is great and full of live, lots of worms. I highly recommended it for anybody who live near the beach, at least to increase the diversity of their sand bed.
Over the last several weeks, I have been collecting Flasher and Fairy wrasses. I got a sad and emaciated P. cyaneus that I am trying to rehab. A female P. octotaenia Red Sea Eight line, that I have high hope for. Hopefully she will be a stunning terminal male that she have potential to be in 6-12 months. I also got a P. mccoskeri, P. carpenteri and P. flavinanalis.
Below are pictures of some of them. The McCoskeri , IMO, is certainly the best of the three, even if he is the smallest of the three. That bright red analfin and the blue dorsal just put him over the top in comparison to the other two.

Carpenteri and Flavinanalis
FlasherWrasses2018042201.jpg

McCoskeri
McCoskeri2018051501resized.jpg

McCoskeri2018051502.jpg

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great...are you worried at all for the wrasses once you reintroduce the carpet nems(specifically the Haddoni)? I have had very little luck with any kind of wrasse surviving for a length of time with a S. Haddoni, S. Gigantea, and S. Mertensii in my tank. I believe the Haddoni is the culprit of most of my losses.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that I will not have much mortality due to the anemones. Will not have the numbers of anemones like I have in the past. Maybe 2 Magnifica, 2 Gigantea and two Haddoni. It will be a mixed reef otherwise.
dbraun15,
Can you give details of your experiences? Several anemone keepers told me that they did not have problem with Gigantea and Wrasses. My Leopards did not have problem with the numbers of anemone I had before but I lost all of my Orchid dottyback to my Anemones.

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost numerous fish to my Haddoni--several wrasses(mystery, leopard, lubbucks)/small tangs(orange shoulder, chocolate)/foxface...I know the Haddoni was the culprit of these as I have found remains/regurgitated remains next to the Haddoni. I haven't had any issues(that I know of!) with my Gig and Mertern's. I have a pair of True Percs who use all and go from nem to nem, but only lay eggs near the Mertens. The Haddoni has cost me upwards of $500 of fish, but I have had it for about 10 years and it's been a fixture of the tank and hard to get rid of. I do have to be careful adding fish in the future.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? Do you have night light? Does your light abruptly turn off for the night? Is there anything around your tank, traffic included that would spook your fish?
I have lost a few fish to the numbers of anemones that I have also.
Thanks

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
220--no moon lights, but lights ramp down. No traffic or anything like that...my tank is in my "man room" and my kids are teenagers who enjoy the tank as much as I do. I have had some fish for several months/even years and then get caught by the Haddoni. Generally, I have had luck with more mature fish(at time of introduction) versus juveniles. I need to add more fish, but am always weary of losing them. Here is my tank for reference.
IMG_2375.JPG

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIT, I have a 65 gal at the office. Have Gigantea and two Magnifica in it for several years. So far, the only fish I lost was a small Pacific tang when the person who did water change spook him.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great!

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your QT regimine for the flasher wrasses?
I have two QT systems. A 28 gal cube and a 40 gal breeder. I am in the fish acquisition mode now so I need both. New fish go into the 28 gal cube either by themselves or with other new fish that I think won't give each other problem. This tank is fish free most of the time with a lot of rock and macro algae. It is full of fauna and pods, and a very well function DSB. DSB really help eliminate pathogen, especially Ich. IMO, tomites just get eaten up by the sand bed fauna. Once I got the fish to eat and gain weight, they get into my 40 gal breeder with other compatible fish in there. Essentially, this is just a DSB reef with skimmer, sump, fully light and full of algae. They live there until they are fat and eating aggressively. Only then, I get them to my DT.
Normal I don't treat any of my fish for anything. Both of these system are light by Radion. The 28 gal does not have skimmer, and the 40 gal have skimmer. I change water for these tank by getting water from DT. New water go to DT, then water from DT to these tanks.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 4 of my anemones home today and a few Goniopora. By the time I finished put them into my DT, light is turning out. Plus newly moved anemone never look good so I will get picture tomorrow or this weekend. There are still 5 more anemones at my friend's tank, plus all the clown fishes. Th e4 I took today were easy, I just move the rock. The one we have not moved yet will be much more difficult. It is essentially impossible to catch the clowns once the tank is disturbed.
I got a bunch of SPS in the QT system. Once the anemones settle, I will get the SPS to the appropriate places, not claimed by the anemones.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back