ORP Calibration Fluid - 225mv?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

This week I added an ORP probe to my tank. Been having some weird issues so I added an ORP probe hoping it might provide some clues. My question is why does GHL use the 225mv calibration fluid? According to @Randy Holmes-Farley most aquarium authors recommend a value of 300-450 (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/index.php). In addition, all other ORP probes that I've seen use a calibration fluid closer to the values recommended by Holmes-Farley (400mv).

Can you tell me why GHL recommends 225? Is there any harm in calibrating my probe with 400 solution?

At the end of the day I don't think it matters tremendously as I'm just trying to correlate incidents in my tank that make it rise or drop, but I am very curious.

Thanks,
Ben

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - you decide by your self when you configure the calibration. But - I do not know if GHL accept 400 - have not tested

Sincerely Lasse

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add, before you calibrate the ORP probe, allow it to stabilize in the sump for a few days. I always wait a week. Seems unlike a pH or conductivity probe, it needs to soak before you calibrate them. Not 100% sure why, just my findings.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back