Orphek Atlantik v4

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,I have been running 3x3+ over an 8ftx2ft x2ft sps and lps tank for 6 months now replacing 400w halides,I have had no problems other than occasional wi-fi loss(my provider) light need time reset but hold program.
I am running at 100% all channels for 5 hours with two hour ramp morning and 4 hour ramp down in the evening.
Colour to my eye is very nice to look at bright with a blue cast,good spread,I can see no shadow ar dico effect tank is quite open though.
They are at 10 inches off water line.
Lps colour and growth has been good ,colour on sps also good but growth is very slow compared with the halides obviously this could be down to
Coral acclimatisation or other factors.
I would not go back.
The only complaint I woul make is other users do not seem to give settings or height info to make a comparison or for guide I have followed lots of threads and tried various searches.orpek info is fun but peer info would be great.
My par is 450 surface,250-300 mid way,100-120 on sand at 23 inches deep.this with an old quantum meter so may be low in blue response.

Maxwell,it would be great to see your settings as your tank is something to behold,been on your build threads but I don't think I have seen
Them.
I have my lights hung about 12" from the water's surface on my 48"x24"x24" tank. When I got my lights I checked the par with the LFS par meter and levels were similar as yours, with all channels at 100%. I currently run channel one at 70% channel two and three at 100%, and channel 4 at 30%. I have 2 v3+ compact fixtures.

Thle009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We should have a Radion vs Orphek tank show off thread. The Orphek owners love their light but I don't quite, and all the Orphek's client tank shots I have seen, none have collector SPS, pieces like WD, Pikachu or Wolverine SPS. I mean cheap Chinese build LED can grow green slimmer and red Montipora. So I'm not convince with the claim that Orphek has the best lights. I would agree that Orphek has the best spread for LED light and my suspicion is why they're being used at the public aquarium, of whom does not grow SPS corals.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried a few of the higher end fixtures. Besides quality of light, customer service/support is the most important factor. I've had wonderful experiences with both Ecotech and Kessil. They know their **** and are always there when/if you need them.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We should have a Radion vs Orphek tank show off thread. The Orphek owners love their light but I don't quite, and all the Orphek's client tank shots I have seen, none have collector SPS, pieces like WD, Pikachu or Wolverine SPS. I mean cheap Chinese build LED can grow green slimmer and red Montipora. So I'm not convince with the claim that Orphek has the best lights. I would agree that Orphek has the best spread for LED light and my suspicion is why they're being used at the public aquarium, of whom does not grow SPS corals.
I would love this however radion will win hands down based on sheer number of users. Ai, Radion and Kessil own the market share for LED lights. For better or for worse. Plus i feel most (read most, not all) those who are into collector pieces of sps would reccomend t5, mh or a hybrid light source over just LED's.

Thle009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love this however radion will win hands down based on sheer number of users. Ai, Radion and Kessil own the market share for LED lights. For better or for worse. Plus i feel most (read most, not all) those who are into collector pieces of sps would reccomend t5, mh or a hybrid light source over just LED's.
That's the thing, I have been told that Orphek is the next best thing T5, so let's see it. As I mentioned before, you can grow green slimmer and pink birdnest just fine with Chinese knock off LED, then why almost a thousand dollars on an Orphek fixture. Certainly not for the customer service. That supporting the little guy argument only worked one way for me and it end with they have my money. Perhaps being small you would want to make happy customers, nothing is better than personal testimony, but I guess they don't see it that way. So if I'm going to spend my money again, it would be with some one who care enough to be responsive to their clients. Plus, I don't spend couple of thousands of dollars to grow macro algae. LOL.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the thing, I have been told that Orphek is the next best thing T5, so let's see it. As I mentioned before, you can grow green slimmer and pink birdnest just fine with Chinese knock off LED, then why almost a thousand dollars on an Orphek fixture. Certainly not for the customer service. That supporting the little guy argument only worked one way for me and it end with they have my money. Perhaps being small you would want to make happy customers, nothing is better than personal testimony, but I guess they don't see it that way. So if I'm going to spend my money again, it would be with some one who care enough to be responsive to their clients. Plus, I don't spend couple of thousands of dollars to grow macro algae. LOL.
On a side note to this, can the lights be proggramed via pc?

Graham hunt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my lights hung about 12" from the water's surface on my 48"x24"x24" tank. When I got my lights I checked the par with the LFS par meter and levels were similar as yours, with all channels at 100%. I currently run channel one at 70% channel two and three at 100%, and channel 4 at 30%. I have 2 v3+ compact fixtures.

Graham hunt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you fragit nice to see some feedback and compare notes,I wonder why so little user info is available,it's taken me a long time to put faith in onboard presets,leap of faith really but it would seem that because leds are dual chip and spread over a large area in my case 24 inches the par and point source power is not such a monster as I had expected,which I find encouraging.
Regards graham.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you fragit nice to see some feedback and compare notes,I wonder why so little user info is available,it's taken me a long time to put faith in onboard presets,leap of faith really but it would seem that because leds are dual chip and spread over a large area in my case 24 inches the par and point source power is not such a monster as I had expected,which I find encouraging.
Regards graham.

Yeah I was a little surprised at the par levels too. I don't have many corals in my tank right now. Just a couple LPS, a monti cap, and a Heliopora. I just increased my settings today. I'm running channels 1-3 at 100% and channel 4 at 80% and getting 35k-40k lux an inch or so above the waterline. That should convert to about 600par at the waters surface below the surface who knows.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was a little surprised at the par levels too. I don't have many corals in my tank right now. Just a couple LPS, a monti cap, and a Heliopora. I just increased my settings today. I'm running channels 1-3 at 100% and channel 4 at 80% and getting 35k-40k lux an inch or so above the waterline. That should convert to about 600par at the waters surface below the surface who knows.
Seems rather low par for being 100% intensity..?

Graham hunt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi yes I was pleasantly surprised at par levels as I could lower fittings to 10 inches rather than 15 inches as expected it measures evenly front to back and side to side.it measures half of par from14k 400w halides and as said growth is much slower but I think colour is to me much nicer and I don't miss the heat and bulb changes
I did try ati hybrids for a couple of years befor the orphek(4 xt5) par was much the same as now spread was worse colour and constant faults ,also having to remove the acrylic sheid to save the t5 ballast giving much the same heat as halides was for me a disappointment,poor design of original led reflectors being acrylic burnt out on both fittings it toook along time for ati to replace one very damaged fitting and I had to pay for knew clusters and aluminium reflectors for other fitting.
Please remember my par meter is very old and does not I think have very good blue response so figures given could be higher with knew meters.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the decision is made. Only one available but I'll be able to see if I really need a second one and can always keep my current lights up! But the order is made, and should ship monday!

Screenshot_20170506-111045.png

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see the results
That makes 2 of us! I only will have about a month with the light before I have to leave for 3 weeks so I hope I can get the light set correctly. I'm probably gonna try and run the great barrier reef project that everyone likes on the lx6

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats!!

Very nice light. Despite the fun we have online debating various lighting merits, realistically we are at the point where chemistry, flow and nutrition are what makes the tank and lighting (within reason) is pretty minor.

Thle009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only did active duty, so I don't know much about reserve life. I imagine it's harder to juggle work and being on deployment. Good luck.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back