Orphek Bar on ATI Fixture

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks!

I hope you all had a great Xmas!
I have a question that I'd like to ask you, perhaps you have some experience with this...

I have an ATI Sunpower 60" fixture which has 6 bulbs of 80w each over my 72" wide tank.
I recently bought an Oprhek LED Bar for some color pop, it's the UV/Violet Spectrum option.

I want to attach this bar to my ATI fixture, and I am concerned with two things:

1) The Orphek Bar weights 4.4lbs. Should I be concerned on having the extra weight on one side only of my ATI Fixture? My ATI fixture hangs from the ceiling.

2) What is the best/suggested way to attach the bar to my fixture? Have you done it before? If so, how did you do it? I am well aware that I will have to end up drilling my fixture...

If any of you could help me, I'd be very glad, pictures will be even better...

Thank you all for the support!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would consider using industrial strength velcro.
I use some I found at Lowes on a few different pieces of equipment.
I do have to stop using it to hold equipment on my painted walls.
When I remove the velcro from the wall it removes the paint with it.

Since you are using the hanging kit, it's easy to just slide the cable a little more towards the front to make the fixture level.

OP
OP
K

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 orphek bars on my 60" ati fixture. i just used screws to mount them to the side. level the fixture by using the hanging cables on the fixture
Hey Savannah, thank you for your help!

I am really confused as how should I attach the bars, would you mind explaining a little bit better how you've done it? Also, what bars did you get (color wise) and how do you like them?
Thank you so much buddy!

OP
OP
K

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider using industrial strength velcro.
I use some I found at Lowes on a few different pieces of equipment.
I do have to stop using it to hold equipment on my painted walls.
When I remove the velcro from the wall it removes the paint with it.

Since you are using the hanging kit, it's easy to just slide the cable a little more towards the front to make the fixture level.
Thanks for you reply buddy!

I am not sure I'd trust the velcro to hang a fixture above my tank, are you sure that's safe?
Also, not quite sure I understood your last sentence about sliding the cable?

Thank you!!!

Saltysav96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best pic i have at the moment since im at work . I am running the UV on the backside and skyblue on the front side.
I really like them .

Screenshot_20181226-113109_Gallery.jpg

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would get the reefbrite XHOs.
they make them in 60" and it would sit flush with the fixture on both ends.

Its beyond me why Orphek didnt make the 60" along with the ones they did.
72" tanks and 60" fixtures are so common now...

OP
OP
K

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would get the reefbrite XHOs.
they make them in 60" and it would sit flush with the fixture on both ends.

Its beyond me why Orphek didnt make the 60" along with the ones they did.
72" tanks and 60" fixtures are so common now...
I appreciate your questioning as this is also something I wondered. But thsi is irrelevant to the post lol :p.
I did ask Orphek about it to which they replied saying they are working on it and will have it in a near future.

OP
OP
K

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best pic i have at the moment since im at work . I am running the UV on the backside and skyblue on the front side.
I really like them .

Screenshot_20181226-113109_Gallery.jpg
That's cool. So you've drilled your fixture as I thought so... How did you screw the nut inside of the fixture? Also, do you think it would be a problem having only one bar hanging from the ATI fixture, weight wise?

I am planning on getting another bar later on...

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your questioning as this is also something I wondered. But thsi is irrelevant to the post lol :p.
I did ask Orphek about it to which they replied saying they are working on it and will have it in a near future.

Fair point.

that is what they told me too when i asked them 6 months ago. lol

but yes - you are right - irrelevant.

Saltysav96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's cool. So you've drilled your fixture as I thought so... How did you screw the nut inside of the fixture? Also, do you think it would be a problem having only one bar hanging from the ATI fixture, weight wise?

I am planning on getting another bar later on...

I didnt use bolts. just small self tapping screws. having 1 will be fine. you will just need to level the fixture using the hanging cables on the ati. i only had 1 to begin with and then went back and got the other a week later

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for you reply buddy!

I am not sure I'd trust the velcro to hang a fixture above my tank, are you sure that's safe?
Also, not quite sure I understood your last sentence about sliding the cable?

Thank you!!!
Velcro probably isn't the best, but it sounded like you were reluctant to drill into the ATI fixture.
The velcro I use, is so strong it's difficult to peel apart in bigger pieces.
I've had a strip of it holding a 24" long diy led strip over my 50 gallon tank.
It's been there for 4+ years.

The mounting cable adjusts so that if there is a weight on one side you can move it so the light is level.

fwiw, I have the 60" xho led strip coming Friday from BRS.
I plan on mounting it with the supplied brackets that use existing screws and holes, on my ATI 8 x 80 watt fixture.

OP
OP
K

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt use bolts. just small self tapping screws. having 1 will be fine. you will just need to level the fixture using the hanging cables on the ati. i only had 1 to begin with and then went back and got the other a week later
Gotcha, what size screws did u use? Also, what size holes did u drill? I am asking this cause I am not sure what is inside of the fixture where I'd have to drill... I just want to make sure I won't damage the fixture when drilling it... Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
K

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velcro probably isn't the best, but it sounded like you were reluctant to drill into the ATI fixture.
The velcro I use, is so strong it's difficult to peel apart in bigger pieces.
I've had a strip of it holding a 24" long diy led strip over my 50 gallon tank.
It's been there for 4+ years.

The mounting cable adjusts so that if there is a weight on one side you can move it so the light is level.

fwiw, I have the 60" xho led strip coming Friday from BRS.
I plan on mounting it with the supplied brackets that use existing screws and holes, on my ATI 8 x 80 watt fixture.
Gotcha, makes sense. I'd use velcro over screws any day, just not sure if I'd be able to align the bar in an angle to face the tank properly, in this case, since the unit comes with the mounting supports, I am leaning towards drilling the fixture.

And yes, you are right, I am reluctant about drilling my fixture. Just seems to be a thing that I will have to do anyways.

Aquanino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Velcro (industrial velcro) and it stuck really well to the Ati Powermodule, after a day with the heat the Orphek was hanging off. I did also attach the cables the Orphek came with to the Ati as insurance, it was hanging slightly off the fixture when I found it and thankfully didn’t go for a swim in the tank. The way Savannah16 has done it is the best way. I also have the sky blue in the front and waiting for the UV to arrive in the country which will go in the back. When I tried the sky blue on the front only, the weight was pulling the Ati to the front and I had to adjust the cabling a bit to get it to balance.

OP
OP
K

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Velcro (industrial velcro) and it stuck really well to the Ati Powermodule, after a day with the heat the Orphek was hanging off. I did also attach the cables the Orphek came with to the Ati as insurance, it was hanging slightly off the fixture when I found it and thankfully didn’t go for a swim in the tank. The way Savannah16 has done it is the best way. I also have the sky blue in the front and waiting for the UV to arrive in the country which will go in the back. When I tried the sky blue on the front only, the weight was pulling the Ati to the front and I had to adjust the cabling a bit to get it to balance.
That makes me feel more comfortable when using only one bar (for now).
How did you attach your bar to your ATI?

Also, thanks for the input!

Aquanino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
faec2a0802332e2a67bf32d8c2e5fe4a.jpg

This is a pic with the Velcro. This is my frag tank which I am still busy with. Over the festive season I couldn’t get the cupboards, slotted trunking etc so excuse the mess. :)

I only required 6 out of the 10 bulbs so I inserted the Orphek into the light unit. I drilled one hole on the one side (the other side has slots) and I have clipped the cables that the Orphek came with on either end of the ATI. I then added hooks along the length of the ATI to run the cable through to keep the Orphek as close as possible to the ATI as it hangs down a bit, it’s a mission to get it completely tight. I picked this Powermodule up as a bargain so didn’t mind putting holes in it the way I did. Another reefer here in South Africa also got the Orpheks but he did the same way as Savannah16. Will try and find the thread and send you the link.

OP
OP
K

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
faec2a0802332e2a67bf32d8c2e5fe4a.jpg

This is a pic with the Velcro. This is my frag tank which I am still busy with. Over the festive season I couldn’t get the cupboards, slotted trunking etc so excuse the mess. :)

I only required 6 out of the 10 bulbs so I inserted the Orphek into the light unit. I drilled one hole on the one side (the other side has slots) and I have clipped the cables that the Orphek came with on either end of the ATI. I then added hooks along the length of the ATI to run the cable through to keep the Orphek as close as possible to the ATI as it hangs down a bit, it’s a mission to get it completely tight. I picked this Powermodule up as a bargain so didn’t mind putting holes in it the way I did. Another reefer here in South Africa also got the Orpheks but he did the same way as Savannah16. Will try and find the thread and send you the link.
Thank you sir! Unfortunately I need all my six bulbs, this is a neat setup tho

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back