Orphek Icon upgrade

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After complaining about Orphek's terrible Gateway control for two years I finally bit the bullet and bought the Icon control upgrade.

Wouldn't you know it, i now can't connect to the light via bluetooth. I followed the step by step instructions but when i got to the point where you should be able to scan for bluetooth devices i only get an option to use WiFi. And that won't connect either.

Has anyone else expeeienced this and were you able to work through it?

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
False alarm. I found another, super secret set of instructions on the net and it worked. Why they are completely different than the instructions they send with the kits is a mystery.

NealH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the url for the instructions you used that worked? I haven't been able to control my lights for over a year since my gateway stopped working and orphan couldn't get it to work. I'm planning to order the upgrade and it sounds like I need better instructions!

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you like the upgrade? Did you do the led panel as well? Is it worthwhile if I still can use the gateway?

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you like the upgrade? Did you do the led panel as well? Is it worthwhile if I still can use the gateway?
I didn't do the LED board upgrade. Just the control circuit. First impression is that it's a huge improvement but not perfect. You can definitely tailor the light spectrum in ways you never could with the gateway. The instruction for the physical upgrade were straightforward. The supplied hard copy instructions were just wrong, which is disappointing. Once i found the super-secret instructions it went fairly easily. Dialing the new control in on a smart phone isn't ideal. If you have a tablet use that so you can see the cursors and buttons. It's too much for a small screen.

Overall it's worth the money and effort. For those people looking at Atlantik Icon lights, the new control makes this a hard value to beat.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me it was this one. orphek.com/orphek-atlantik-icon-hotspot-sharing/
Thank you for posting this. I could not get mine connected ether, followed these instructions for the first one worked perfectly, would not work for the second, used their auto scan for number 2. Not sure why it would not connect on auto scan for the first one.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgraded my first light last night. Did the controller, led's, and the aluminum top. Took a little over 3 tubes of thermal paste for regular sized light. I used old cc to smooth the paste. Looking forward to powering up and checking out all the new features and spectrum.

I have a few adjustments to make before I can hang it. My hanging bolts are now too long for my design as the new aluminum top is thinner than the acrylic one of my g4 Gen 2. Since I have custom install the stock bolts don't work.

Second thing is trying to find out what is the adhesive used to mount temp probe. The original temp probe placement doesn't allow you to reuse due to lack of cable length. New kit has new one, but need info on adhesive.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I pinged James about the adhesive. He gave me the idea to wedge the new probe in the slats and it works real well. I think I will make a small article on the upgrade procedure and what I learned for saving time.

Overall, I really like the light. Its a major upgrade from the V4 gen 2. This light is very crisp white forward with the helios program. People moving from MH's will love love love this light. I cant wait to break the tank down now and put my new rock scape in and get some sticks under the lighting. I havn't put the PAR meter on this yet. I think I will over the weekend after I get all my new bars installed. I'm doubling up on the blue.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back