Orphek OR Series Light Bars

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid for a 24" refugium light on May 18th, and still haven't gotten a shipping notification. How long do these typically take to send after payment? a month seems pretty long!
It took about that for mine I believe. Pretty sure they are built to order. Once shipping notification came light arrived pretty quickly. Can always shoot them an email. Their customer service was fantastic

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mounted my OR120 to the current USA tank mounts.

I was considering building an 80/20 mount, but the current USA mount looks clean + easy. I could just order two for my frag tank and hang the light bar directly. Did you need any custom hardware? It looks very clean.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I paid for a 24" refugium light on May 18th, and still haven't gotten a shipping notification. How long do these typically take to send after payment? a month seems pretty long!
It took about that for mine I believe. Pretty sure they are built to order. Once shipping notification came light arrived pretty quickly. Can always shoot them an email. Their customer service was fantastic

+ 1, I ordered mine around the same period and just received a DHL notification today. Customer service has been excellent to me.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm confused about the UV it doesn't show 380 leds but it states it goes down that low. I have the Atlantik V4 and I'd love to add a bar of 380 UV as a moonlight effect to just get pure florescence as channel 3 on the atlantik is still a little more in the violet spectrum

I think my only suggestion in the V4 would have been to make the 4 380 UV leds their own channel

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t believe this is my first time seeing these! What a price point for such a quality piece of equipment. I may end up jumping on board and adding to my t5 setup. Currently running 8 bulb t5 6xblue+ and 2xpurple+. I’m thinking the UV would be a great addition. Just out of cutiosity, what’s the ship time on these?
Corals growing well as is, but they look so much more amazing after lights out with my Orphek flashlight. Would love to have that effect all the time.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering building an 80/20 mount, but the current USA mount looks clean + easy. I could just order two for my frag tank and hang the light bar directly. Did you need any custom hardware? It looks very clean.
There are slots in the center of the top of the light/heat sync where a hex head bolt will slide in. I just got some stainless bolts, wahsers and wingnuts and worked perfect.

The light comes with some mounting hardware. I just took one of the bolts to match up the head size and got some a bit longer. Worked perfectly

Light does come with some hardware for both canopy and ceiling mounting

Last edited:

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t believe this is my first time seeing these! What a price point for such a quality piece of equipment. I may end up jumping on board and adding to my t5 setup. Currently running 8 bulb t5 6xblue+ and 2xpurple+. I’m thinking the UV would be a great addition. Just out of cutiosity, what’s the ship time on these?
Corals growing well as is, but they look so much more amazing after lights out with my Orphek flashlight. Would love to have that effect all the time.
I think it was about a month from the time my customer service rep had answered all my questions l, placed my order then arrived.

It was around 4-5 weeks from order to ship date

elFloyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In January I spoke with the Ophek Sales rep to order two Reef Violet. He warned me those were very purple and suggested the Blue Sky. After looking at the LED arrangement I decided the Blue Sky did not have many LEDs in the actinic range. Sales Rep suggested Orphek could modify the Reef Violet to make them less purple and still stay in the actinic zone.
Reef Violet has: 18 - 410nm and 6 - 430nm
Custom will have: 9 - 410nm and 15 430nm​

The Orphek OR series is made when ordered, so no additional charge for the custom configuration. I ordered two OR90s in the custom configuration to support my 8 x 84w Pacific Sun fixture.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In January I spoke with the Ophek Sales rep to order two Reef Violet. He warned me those were very purple and suggested the Blue Sky. After looking at the LED arrangement I decided the Blue Sky did not have many LEDs in the actinic range. Sales Rep suggested Orphek could modify the Reef Violet to make them less purple and still stay in the actinic zone.
Reef Violet has: 18 - 410nm and 6 - 430nm
Custom will have: 9 - 410nm and 15 430nm​

The Orphek OR series is made when ordered, so no additional charge for the custom configuration. I ordered two OR90s in the custom configuration to support my 8 x 84w Pacific Sun fixture.
Yes they absolutely will customize. When I spoke with my sales rep he asked if I was looking more for pop or par as that would dictate the lenses that they would install on the light.

I am very happy with the uv light. I am yet to see it's results with any stocking in the tank but my expectations are high.

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my refugium light today, thanks @Orphek

3ED60859-88D3-464A-A1C0-1CA1377B3067.jpeg

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since Orphek has to custom make these, I think I have my LED selection figured out for an OR120, 36 LED bar. If you don't care how I got to my numbers, skip this section. I typically agree with the BRS suggested spectrums from when they test LED units. I have multiple AI Prime HDs and I like their suggestion that closely replicates CoralLab SPS AB+. So... I rewatched the BRS video on the Orphek Atlantik V4 and grabbed their suggested intensities for that light: Ch1 @ 70%, Ch2 @ 100%, Ch3 @ 100%, and Ch4 at 40%. I then took the LED counts per color per channel and factored in the intensity that BRS suggested (rather than adjusting the power of the LED, I reduced the theoretical "count" for that LED color). Fun fact, if you could have fractions of LEDs, you could achieve the BRS suggested spectrum with 62.4 LEDs. Each count of LEDs then had to be reduced by a factor of .5769 because I only have 36 LEDs to work with, not 62.4. Once all of these were reduced, I then matched the Atlantic V4 LED color to the closest color available in the OR line. 20000K and 5000K were both considered 12000K, 500nm and 525nm were both replaced with 490nm, 380nm replaced with 410nm, etc.

This brings me to my desired LED count compared to the Reef Day Light (RDL) Spectrum that Orphek has configured:

Color -- My Count - RDL Count
12000K - 5 -------- 8
660nm -- 2 -------- 2
595nm -- 1 -------- 4
490nm -- 4 -------- 2
460nm - 13 -------- 8
430nm -- 3 -------- 4
410nm -- 8 -------- 8

I'm surprised by after all of that, I got to an LED count where there's just a few less 12000K and 595nm, with those extra spots allocated to mostly 460nm and some 490. In my first post on this thread, I couldn't decide between a Blue Sky or UV/Violet to be paired with a Reef Day Light. I think I've achieved a middle ground with the custom LED count so I can get two OR120 with the same LEDs.

So after all that, what do you all think of getting rid of some of the 12000K and 595nm and replacing them with 460nm and a few 490nm? (Besides that I'm insane but without them being adjustable, I want the spectrum to be close to what I like without having to add other supplementary lights.)

I'm anxious to talk with Orphek and see what the experts there have to say as well.

jpgraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since Orphek has to custom make these, I think I have my LED selection figured out for an OR120, 36 LED bar. If you don't care how I got to my numbers, skip this section. I typically agree with the BRS suggested spectrums from when they test LED units. I have multiple AI Prime HDs and I like their suggestion that closely replicates CoralLab SPS AB+. So... I rewatched the BRS video on the Orphek Atlantik V4 and grabbed their suggested intensities for that light: Ch1 @ 70%, Ch2 @ 100%, Ch3 @ 100%, and Ch4 at 40%. I then took the LED counts per color per channel and factored in the intensity that BRS suggested (rather than adjusting the power of the LED, I reduced the theoretical "count" for that LED color). Fun fact, if you could have fractions of LEDs, you could achieve the BRS suggested spectrum with 62.4 LEDs. Each count of LEDs then had to be reduced by a factor of .5769 because I only have 36 LEDs to work with, not 62.4. Once all of these were reduced, I then matched the Atlantic V4 LED color to the closest color available in the OR line. 20000K and 5000K were both considered 12000K, 500nm and 525nm were both replaced with 490nm, 380nm replaced with 410nm, etc.

This brings me to my desired LED count compared to the Reef Day Light (RDL) Spectrum that Orphek has configured:

Color -- My Count - RDL Count
12000K - 5 -------- 8
660nm -- 2 -------- 2
595nm -- 1 -------- 4
490nm -- 4 -------- 2
460nm - 13 -------- 8
430nm -- 3 -------- 4
410nm -- 8 -------- 8

I'm surprised by after all of that, I got to an LED count where there's just a few less 12000K and 595nm, with those extra spots allocated to mostly 460nm and some 490. In my first post on this thread, I couldn't decide between a Blue Sky or UV/Violet to be paired with a Reef Day Light. I think I've achieved a middle ground with the custom LED count so I can get two OR120 with the same LEDs.

So after all that, what do you all think of getting rid of some of the 12000K and 595nm and replacing them with 460nm and a few 490nm? (Besides that I'm insane but without them being adjustable, I want the spectrum to be close to what I like without having to add other supplementary lights.)

I'm anxious to talk with Orphek and see what the experts there have to say as well.
Impressive. I'm looking forward as well to hear what they say. I'll be ordering my lights soon so please post when after you speak with them.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer: In no way do I think I can design a better LED light than Orphek. What I'm looking for is an LED combination that is more pleasing to MY eyes.

I've started discussions with Orphek on the custom OR 120s. So far it's mostly been about making sure the two bars provide adequate PAR over the 48" x 24" x 10" frag tank so I'm waiting on PAR numbers from Orphek. I had some time this afternoon to play around with where I would want each LED and came up with the below. The top bar is the standard Reef Day Light.

or_config.JPG

It's helped me to see visually what the fewer and more spread out 12000K look like. Only one 595nm now so I had to keep that near the center. Without looking at the LED counts, I can definitely tell that there are more royal blues in the bottom bar. The rest of the colors I think are pretty evenly spaced but I'm open to suggestions! Once we confirm PAR and start to discuss spectrum, I'll be sharing this layout with Orphek.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disclaimer: In no way do I think I can design a better LED light than Orphek. What I'm looking for is an LED combination that is more pleasing to MY eyes.

I've started discussions with Orphek on the custom OR 120s. So far it's mostly been about making sure the two bars provide adequate PAR over the 48" x 24" x 10" frag tank so I'm waiting on PAR numbers from Orphek. I had some time this afternoon to play around with where I would want each LED and came up with the below. The top bar is the standard Reef Day Light.

or_config.JPG

It's helped me to see visually what the fewer and more spread out 12000K look like. Only one 595nm now so I had to keep that near the center. Without looking at the LED counts, I can definitely tell that there are more royal blues in the bottom bar. The rest of the colors I think are pretty evenly spaced but I'm open to suggestions! Once we confirm PAR and start to discuss spectrum, I'll be sharing this layout with Orphek.

I have a 7" deep frag tank that my Atlantik v4 is over at 50% on all channels I get about 280-300 under the fixture and slightly less as you get away from the fixture.

This is at a hanging height of 14" at 100% the par is around 600-700

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just received my daylight 36" Lightbar with 90 degree lens. The 60 degree would be more PAR, 120 degrees less. Running the light about 4" off the water on a AquaMax 12G frag tank with 10" height. A quick test with my Seneye showed 350 - 450 PAR at the surface, it varied depending on the LED color temperature. I think I had 200 PAR at the frag. Those are loose numbers, I just wanted to make sure my 3 frags weren't getting cooked. If time permits, I might do more testing.

Not sure your goal on PAR, but 24" makes me wonder. If you were using T5, you'd use quite a few bulbs.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back