Osmolator 5017

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bluetang77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5017 that recently started acting up. When I plug in the power to the unit lights flash too low too high red at a steady pace then the power turns off completely. After unplugging and replugging to power the unit resets shows the green light for a few seconds starts filling and after about 10-15 seconds does the same flashing thing then off. I am convinced that the pump must work since for the 10 - 15 seconds it pumps water, therefore it must be the controller. Is there anything I can do to remedy this? Why did it start doing this? Is it toast? Any experience with this issue and/or fixes would be appreciated. Thank you.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is it? Generally on newer units a too high and too low light on together is the water damage indicator. The usual culprit is plugging in a power supply tip that previously landed in water. If it is minor it can usually be repaired.

OP
OP
bluetang77

bluetang77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is it? Generally on newer units a too high and too low light on together is the water damage indicator. The usual culprit is plugging in a power supply tip that previously landed in water. If it is minor it can usually be repaired.

Looks like 2011 when i opened it. Yes it was acquired 2nd hand but worked well. Ive attached some photos. I dont recall dropping the cord in water or anything but splashing does occur from time to time. Never large amounts of water though. Andy
20200625_174036.jpg
20200625_174030.jpg

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look closely where the optic sensor cable enters, the board has water damage there, likely water followed the cable in. A drip loop in the cable will prevent that going forward. This should be fairly easy to repair. The board has a water damage/short detection feature as a safety, it is very sensitive. Without this, a short could cause a catastrophic overfill as it could jam the controller on, so it instead defaults to a water damage mode if there is any short on the board.

OP
OP
bluetang77

bluetang77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. WOW Guess youve seen a bunch of these. Thank you. What would be the process to get that done? Andy

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sole US repairman for 20 years. Just send it in with a note with return address and phone number-

Tunze USA
2121 Cole Springs Rd
Buda TX 78610

I only need the 5017.000 controller with attached sensors. Usually I complete a repair within a day of receipt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bluetang77

bluetang77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Its in the mail. What does this cost me btw. Thank you. Andy

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only charge on water damage repairs if you need a new controller or power supply or other major component. It is not warranty, but other than some time, solder and cleaning supplies they aren't a big costs to do.

OP
OP
bluetang77

bluetang77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! I checked the tracking today and there was an attempted delivery but wasnt successful. I did pay for delivery confirmation to ensure it wasnt lost. Thanks again.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, we were here all day, no one left for lunch, Andy Dardy? We did get one from Andy Dardy and I should get to it today.

OP
OP
bluetang77

bluetang77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had the same problem with another of my units. I am sending it to you as well. BOTL. Thank you.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back