Now back to the discussion:)

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're not mods!

I don't acclimate and a lot of people see issues with that. You just gotta present your case and invite them to "your side".

mr11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one place I know of that fully quarantines their fish and that is exotic reef creations. Generally you'll end up waiting a fair amount of time for the fish you request. I have a number of fish from them, as do many people in our local club. If you're looking to play the odds by not QTing and don't need the immediate gratification of new fish this is the route I would go. You can read his protocol on his website.

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one place I know of that fully quarantines their fish and that is exotic reef creations. Generally you'll end up waiting a fair amount of time for the fish you request. I have a number of fish from them, as do many people in our local club. If you're looking to play the odds by not QTing and don't need the immediate gratification of new fish this is the route I would go. You can read his protocol on his website.

I'm also in the DMV and I've heard great things about ERC though I haven't been able to access the site for over a month (it just gets a 404 error). I do see what Marco's posting in the WAMAS forums though and have been thinking about pulling the trigger on a final batch of his fish.

MoneyMike1987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not everyone. I have not quarantined in probably 35 years because I keep my fish immune. But it sounds like you don't have too much experience so it would probably be best if you quarantined for now.
It is not as easy as just throwing fish into your tank and hoping for the best. That will never work which is the reason for all the ich threads.
Immune? Lol

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, lets try a different angle. Can everyone please post a picture of your tank. # of years in the hobby, amount of time since last incodent, and your process of introducing new fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also any ongoing medications or specs thing you do to keep your fish healthy.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Immune? Lol

Yes, my fish have been immune from everything for at least 35 or 40 years, even my 25 year olds which are still spawning. So you can LOL if you like. :rolleyes: Even the fish I collected from the ocean and even though I collect NSW, fish, crabs, seaweeds, amphipods, mud and bacteria in the sea 3 or 4 times a year.
Yes, they are immune and all the paired fish are spawning, that is "because" I don't quarantine. But I did say "most" people should quarantine because they just don't know how to do it and if they do it wrong, they will lose their tank.
If you don't know the procedure, you better quarantine because your fish have a very weak or non existant immune system. But I don't want to get to far into this as I said, just quarantine and forget about it. OK, go about your business and talk about quarantining and forget the people with very old tanks that never quarantine. The Droids you are searching for are not here.
So if you have older fish than me that have never been sick raise your hand.... Higher. :D

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're not mods!

I don't acclimate and a lot of people see issues with that. You just gotta present your case and invite them to "your side".
I acclimate in a goal of 15-20 minutes these days and I simply use a bucket and add a cup of water to the bucket water three times 5 minutes apart then add the fish in. No issues with this at all.

Many think my method is reckless, personally I think that once we expose that bag water to oxygen ammonia becomes more toxic very quickly and the fish need less polluted water ASAP.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Immune? Lol
He means very resistant. His fish don't get ill regardless of what is added. Part of this is that the fish types he keeps aren't too sensitive to parasites -- except he had or has an idol that does well! (IME idols can be very hardy if fed well with good foods that match their wild diet after the first year). But he doesn't keep tangs, particularly not the fragile tangs that are especially susceptible to parasites such as acanthurus tangs -- even more succinctly Achilles, powders, and goldrim.

Heck, I too have an ich management tank and I would even bet $500 that if we tested it it also has velvet but the wrasses and even blonde naso show no signs at all - no scratching no nothing. This is NOT normal and is definitely the exception not the rule.

Pauls husbandry skills, high quality foods, stable water, immense experience, equipment, and great looking women all contribute to his success. He is on to something, unfortunately it's not something 9/10 hobbyists can replicate. His dedication and intelligence in this realm are very rare. Heck I don't have time to be as dedicated as him, he's a great guy who really prides himself in his fish and we all respect him - even if we disagree with him on things. We can't argue with results.

What's unfortunate is that people try to do things the way he does without all of the other dozens if not hundreds of factors that contribute to his success that most cannot replicate. So what happens is fish die. Think of it as using flour but forgetting the butter,baking powder, and cinnamon (I'm not a baker or cook shut up guys haha) and expecting cookies.

My ich management tank will be qt'd and treated once I am done stocking my tanks and my qt is free. Yes it's a pain but I actually think proper qt and treatment protocols are 1/4 the effort of what Paul does. He's truly dedicated!

Last edited:

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on this..

My LFS says he doses all of his tanks with copper. Every tank in his store, minus coral and inverts has copper.

While I still QT to be on the safe side (especially for internal parasites that we can't see), should I still worry about possibility of Ich? or did they essentially cured the ich in store? I've never, ever seen ich on any of the fish in his store.

OP
OP
mgoesma

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for what worked for people. Not what didn't work or what they are trying but have not received results yet.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I guess I'm still at a loss. So everyone has a quarantine tank? I find this hard to believe. Especially for new people. I understand after you have hundreds in the tank.
if they don't, they should. All you need is a small tank, 10-30 gallons, a sponge filter and a few medications. My LFS even rents them. They use 10 gallon tanks and a small HOB filter. You can easly set up a decent QT system for $50 or less by scoring gear off Craigslist.

jimbau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, lets try a different angle. Can everyone please post a picture of your tank. # of years in the hobby, amount of time since last incodent, and your process of introducing new fish.
I have had a tank setup for the last five years. In the beginning I lost a whole tank a fish to Ick and have quarantined ever since. Here is my process;
1. Drip acclimate fish to quarantine tank water ( I check SG of water fish came in and QT tank to determine length of time for acclimation). I usually try to drop my SG in the QT before getting the fish since most fish tend to come in lower SG water, I have seen down to 1.020.
2. Day 1 - Leave lights off and let fish relax for first day and observe for any immediate concerns.
3. Day 2 - Add dose of prazipro.
4. Day 6 - Do 50% water change and start copper.
5. Day 7 to 28 - raise copper slowly over a couple of days, test copper level every other day, monitor ammonia and do water changes as needed. Feed well. Determine what the fish like to eat.
6. Day 28 - 50% water change and add second dose of Prazipro.
7. Day 32 - Add to main tank. During this whole time I slowly match the QT and display tanks SG and temp so I just drop the fish into the DT.
8. If during this time I notice any infections or fungus I use Kanaplex for 6 days. I use this with Copper and haven't had any issues.
Since doing this I have not lost a single fish, everyone is healthy and happy in the DT and I have been able to add hard to keep fish such as a powder blue tang.
Also, have not lost a fish in Quarantine either. MUCH better track record than just adding fish straight to the DT. :)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back