OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did some tests

Alk is at 8.5 so very small drop since 6/23 (3 days ago)

phosphorus 29/ phosphate .089 6/26

so I’m a bit high on that as on 6/23 it was .034 ( could be .035 or 6 can’t remember exactly)

we did over feed yesterday. Could that be the reason?

Lolleo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as additional fish I am considering these, but not necessarily all of them...

Spot foxface
Flame Angel
Banggai / pajama cardinal
Hawkish - flame, longnose, and or falco
a clown
a mandarin
Looks like a good list. For the mandarin I would either hold off or do what I did for the first 6months and I would buy copepods every other week to once a month to constantly seed the tank and now I buy some every like two months or so just in case plus it helps maintain the population in the tank and fish will also eat them. My mandarin is nice and fat and has never had an issue for the last year and a half.

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good list. For the mandarin I would either hold off or do what I did for the first 6months and I would buy copepods every other week to once a month to constantly seed the tank and now I buy some every like two months or so just in case plus it helps maintain the population in the tank and fish will also eat them. My mandarin is nice and fat and has never had an issue for the last year and a half.
I think I may be at my max now, but if the damsel has to go byebye I will probably be getting one! I have lots of pods, and feed phyto every other day now.

Yellow tang
blue tang
midas blenny
flame hawkfish
longnose hawkfish
clown
diamond goby
blue damsel
2 cleaner shrimp
2 fire shrimp
1 porcelain crab
8 or so ? emerald crabs
20-40 hermits
20-40 snails mix of 3 types
then my corals.

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!!! I'd be in a trance watching those fish swim around
Thank you!! The tank is looking now, how I want it to look. 6 months in and Im just in the beginning of it at all. All my fish are my favorite fish and Im so happy with everyone right now. They are all beautiful, all have personalities, none feel like "filler fish" to me. LOL They are all the star!!

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just updated my cost post

Oh My God Reaction GIF by Friends

Im scared to add it up

Stress Wtf GIF

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 5,900 !!

Steve Urkel Oops GIF

Thats with the initial tank costs.

I guess thats not so bad. I hope to not have to make any large purchases soon as lighting, pumps, power heads, skimmer etc is all new basically. So I foresee future purchases to be dosing maintenance stuff and corals LOL

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 5,900 !!

Steve Urkel Oops GIF

Thats with the initial tank costs.

I guess thats not so bad. I hope to not have to make any large purchases soon as lighting, pumps, power heads, skimmer etc is all new basically. So I foresee future purchases to be dosing maintenance stuff and corals LOL
That's not too bad, keep up the great work

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not too bad, keep up the great work
Thank you! If this isnt a labor of love I dont know what is.

Animated GIF

I have killed many corals :( lol, but Im working on getting it all good!

I see you had cyano issues at one point (only on page 10 ) Hope you got rid of it, I feel like I see a spot on my tank, again, and Im tempted to hit the chemiclear. I also just found this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/e...nvegCJmktG6cxN5E1SXzbNIoQFDOOMljW0YVsypnUbF78

So maybe Ill be doing that!

You have a lovely tank! Wish I could get my nem to host my clown... the glass is hosting him now lol

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! If this isnt a labor of love I dont know what is.

Animated GIF

I have killed many corals :( lol, but Im working on getting it all good!

I see you had cyano issues at one point (only on page 10 ) Hope you got rid of it, I feel like I see a spot on my tank, again, and Im tempted to hit the chemiclear. I also just found this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/e...nvegCJmktG6cxN5E1SXzbNIoQFDOOMljW0YVsypnUbF78

So maybe Ill be doing that!

You have a lovely tank! Wish I could get my nem to host my clown... the glass is hosting him now lol
Call me crazy but what worked for me is to have iPad against glass playing clowns hosting with anemoens for about 16 hours. The captive bred clowns sometimes need to learn the behavior lol

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me crazy but what worked for me is to have iPad against glass playing clowns hosting with anemoens for about 16 hours. The captive bred clowns sometimes need to learn the behavior lol
I did the same.
I used this video for about 15-30 minutes during the day periodically whenever I went and looked at the fish for about 3 days and then my clowns hosted. Worked 2 times so far.

Same 2 clownfish, 2 different anemones. I had the original die, but I used the video to get the clowns to host it.

After I got the 2nd anemone, they hosted after watching the same video

OP
OP
Dani305

Dani305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same.
I used this video for about 15-30 minutes during the day periodically whenever I went and looked at the fish for about 3 days and then my clowns hosted. Worked 2 times so far.

Same 2 clownfish, 2 different anemones. I had the original die, but I used the video to get the clowns to host it.

After I got the 2nd anemone, they hosted after watching the same video

This is crazy funny! I guess I’m gonna have to try it!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be using it with every feeding?

The bottle is pretty small, I think I may need to order more just for next time.

Also, talking about food... do you think I can premix it in? Im thinking of defrosting all my foods, and making a custom food blend for my fish. So I am thinking to take mysis, blood worms, this other thing that I have that has fish, scallops mysis, who knows what else (smells very stinky), and then the selcon, and mixing it all, then freezing new cubes?
I make a mix that lasts about a week and a bit and store it in the fridge in a big container that I pull out at feeding time. I add about 2-3 turkey blasters of food 2 times a day. Easy and don't have to wait for it to defrost.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 86 71.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back