OP
ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So nice to get feedback on what we have done so far and ideas for the next steps. Keep the comments coming!:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I did the same thing on my first tank (standard 55g). After a couple weeks of listening to it gargling while cycling I couldn't take it. Looking back I wish I would of drained the tank and drilled another hole and did a durso. I ended up using pvc piping that wrapped over the tank rim and down into the overflow box. Same idea as a HOB overflow. Had a valve on so it ran on a siphon.

did the gurgling start as soon as you set up the tank or did it progressively get louder? I ask because we set up the tank a while back to check for leaks and ran all the plumbing and it didn't seem too loud then. I still think it would probably be a good idea to modify it but I was just wondering.

A4goulet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did the gurgling start as soon as you set up the tank or did it progressively get louder? I ask because we set up the tank a while back to check for leaks and ran all the plumbing and it didn't seem too loud then. I still think it would probably be a good idea to modify it but I was just wondering.

I can't recall if it was gurgling or not right from the start. A lot of it depends on return pump size and the flow its producing. Also as the tank matures and stuff grows in the over flow it changes flow rate. So if it's not gurgling now, hard to say if it will or won't in the future. Either way you still have a high risk failure point with only one hole/down pipe.

OP
OP
ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't recall if it was gurgling or not right from the start. A lot of it depends on return pump size and the flow its producing. Also as the tank matures and stuff grows in the over flow it changes flow rate. So if it's not gurgling now, hard to say if it will or won't in the future. Either way you still have a high risk failure point with only one hole/down pipe.
Thats true, maybe at some point he'll drill another hole and we'll just re-silicone the overflow. Thanks again for the advice.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re going to drill better now than when you have fish and coral.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the color variation of your corals. What kind of coral is that in the top right next to the pump?
It is an Indonesian Gold torch that had 3 heads with mint green tips. Now there is 2 heads. I have two of those. The Aussie Gold Torch is the one in my profile pic. Big price difference! Indo was $50 for 3 head. AUS $120 a head.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2114796A-053B-4570-BE14-D27EC719F347.jpeg
Lost a bunch of coral due to a dino bloom. So in the midst of restocking.

CherryStReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! :)
I would say go straight for SPS. Top three hints I wish I knew when I started: use a refractometer, make a DIY gravity-fed top off with a float valve, don't starve your SPS. Enjoy!!!

OP
OP
ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! :)
I would say go straight for SPS. Top three hints I wish I knew when I started: use a refractometer, make a DIY gravity-fed top off with a float valve, don't starve your SPS. Enjoy!!!
I would like to have some SPS but Id like to gain some more experience before just to be safe. Unless theres any really hardy ones which seem like theres not many.

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep sps in a 40 breeder. For flow I'm using a jebao pp4, a small cheap koralia type wavemaker both on right side, and a jebao pp8 on an oscillator on the left side of the tank. Return from sump is handled by a jebao dcp 5000. I'll likely be getting rid of the wavemaker on the right side of the tank and adding another pp8.

Flow is a very underrated piece of the reefkeeping puzzle.

OP
OP
ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep sps in a 40 breeder. For flow I'm using a jebao pp4, a small cheap koralia type wavemaker both on right side, and a jebao pp8 on an oscillator on the left side of the tank. Return from sump is handled by a jebao dcp 5000. I'll likely be getting rid of the wavemaker on the right side of the tank and adding another pp8.

Flow is a very underrated piece of the reefkeeping puzzle.
Would you be able to post pics on this thread of your tank? Just so I can get a visual reference of where you position your powerheads?

OP
OP
ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit difficult to see, but you get the picture.

Also:
36ed9e9c5c8e32123823fd15ae08e929.jpg

Thanks for the pics, nice tank. Does the equipment that allows you to swivel come with that powerhead or was that a separate purchase. I really like the functionality of it. Also, what chemicals and equipment are you running in your sump?

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pics, nice tank. Does the equipment that allows you to swivel come with that powerhead or was that a separate purchase. I really like the functionality of it. Also, what chemicals and equipment are you running in your sump?
Thanks for the compliment. The oscillator is actually a diy project I just recently completed. Details can be found here.

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/354844/

I run a pretty simple 20 long sump setup. I have a fuge with chaeto but honestly it doesn't grow very well for me. I am currently using an sca301 skimmer. I dose esv two part using a bubble magus doser. I also occasionally dose seachem phosphorus and potassium nitrate if my levels are getting too low.

OP
OP
ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you think a dose pump would be a necessity even if Im just growing softies and LPS?? Ive been wondering whether or not dosing the tank manually each time will be enough just so I can save some cash and buy better equipment for the long run.

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For softies it's definitely not a requirement. For lps, it depends. I kept euphyllia and softies in a 20long low tech reef for 3 years with nothing but a hang on back filter, a black box led and weekly 5 gallon water changes. It didn't grow too much (may have been the xenia infestation that took over the tank) but it was healthy. The dosing pump mainly helps with stability, which is mainly an sps requirement.

BTW, don't buy Xenia, green star polyps, or anthellia. You'll like that they're easy to grow at the beginning. You'll hate them at the end.

OP
OP
ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, don't buy Xenia, green star polyps, or anthellia. You'll like that they're easy to grow at the beginning. You'll hate them at the end.

Does the rule about placing them on islands not really work? I was kind of excited to buy some long tentacle GSP that my LFS sells. I like the movement it has.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be following along, I'm fairly new as well. One thing, I used window tint on the back of my tank as well. I found a hint to go around the edge with clear fingernail polish to create a water proof seal. The goal being keeping water from getting between the glass and tint. I haven't filled my tank yet but you can tell it created a great seal and will probably work well. Plus its easy and cheap so it will be worth a shot.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back