Our first tank!

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by ScottandAlisa, Feb 6, 2018.

1. ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa Member

So nice to get feedback on what we have done so far and ideas for the next steps. Keep the comments coming!:)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018

2. ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa Member

did the gurgling start as soon as you set up the tank or did it progressively get louder? I ask because we set up the tank a while back to check for leaks and ran all the plumbing and it didn't seem too loud then. I still think it would probably be a good idea to modify it but I was just wondering.

3. A4goulet

A4goulet Member R2R Supporter

I can't recall if it was gurgling or not right from the start. A lot of it depends on return pump size and the flow its producing. Also as the tank matures and stuff grows in the over flow it changes flow rate. So if it's not gurgling now, hard to say if it will or won't in the future. Either way you still have a high risk failure point with only one hole/down pipe.

sfin52 and ScottandAlisa like this.
  4. ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa Member

Thats true, maybe at some point he'll drill another hole and we'll just re-silicone the overflow. Thanks again for the advice.

5. sfin52

sfin52 Valuable Member

If you’re going to drill better now than when you have fish and coral.

6. 40B Knasty

40B Knasty Valuable Member

It is an Indonesian Gold torch that had 3 heads with mint green tips. Now there is 2 heads. I have two of those. The Aussie Gold Torch is the one in my profile pic. Big price difference! Indo was $50 for 3 head. AUS $120 a head.

sfin52 likes this.
  7. sfin52

sfin52 Valuable Member

2114796A-053B-4570-BE14-D27EC719F347.jpegLost a bunch of coral due to a dino bloom. So in the midst of restocking.

8. CherryStReef

CherryStReef Member

Looks good! :)
    I would say go straight for SPS. Top three hints I wish I knew when I started: use a refractometer, make a DIY gravity-fed top off with a float valve, don't starve your SPS. Enjoy!!!

ScottandAlisa likes this.
  9. ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa Member

I would like to have some SPS but Id like to gain some more experience before just to be safe. Unless theres any really hardy ones which seem like theres not many.

A4goulet and CherryStReef like this.
  10. mstockmaster

mstockmaster Active Member

I keep sps in a 40 breeder. For flow I'm using a jebao pp4, a small cheap koralia type wavemaker both on right side, and a jebao pp8 on an oscillator on the left side of the tank. Return from sump is handled by a jebao dcp 5000. I'll likely be getting rid of the wavemaker on the right side of the tank and adding another pp8.

Flow is a very underrated piece of the reefkeeping puzzle.

11. ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa Member

Would you be able to post pics on this thread of your tank? Just so I can get a visual reference of where you position your powerheads?

12. mstockmaster

A bit difficult to see, but you get the picture.

Also:
    [​IMG]

ScottandAlisa and sfin52 like this.
  13. ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa Member

Thanks for the pics, nice tank. Does the equipment that allows you to swivel come with that powerhead or was that a separate purchase. I really like the functionality of it. Also, what chemicals and equipment are you running in your sump?

14. mstockmaster

Thanks for the compliment. The oscillator is actually a diy project I just recently completed. Details can be found here.

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/354844/

I run a pretty simple 20 long sump setup. I have a fuge with chaeto but honestly it doesn't grow very well for me. I am currently using an sca301 skimmer. I dose esv two part using a bubble magus doser. I also occasionally dose seachem phosphorus and potassium nitrate if my levels are getting too low.

ScottandAlisa and sfin52 like this.
  15. ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa Member

do you think a dose pump would be a necessity even if Im just growing softies and LPS?? Ive been wondering whether or not dosing the tank manually each time will be enough just so I can save some cash and buy better equipment for the long run.

16. mstockmaster

For softies it's definitely not a requirement. For lps, it depends. I kept euphyllia and softies in a 20long low tech reef for 3 years with nothing but a hang on back filter, a black box led and weekly 5 gallon water changes. It didn't grow too much (may have been the xenia infestation that took over the tank) but it was healthy. The dosing pump mainly helps with stability, which is mainly an sps requirement.

BTW, don't buy Xenia, green star polyps, or anthellia. You'll like that they're easy to grow at the beginning. You'll hate them at the end.

17. ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa Member

Does the rule about placing them on islands not really work? I was kind of excited to buy some long tentacle GSP that my LFS sells. I like the movement it has.

18. mstockmaster

Islands are fine. Just don't do what I did.

My 20 long one year in then 3 years in. [​IMG][​IMG]

19. mch1984

mch1984 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Hub City Reef Club

Will be following along, I'm fairly new as well. One thing, I used window tint on the back of my tank as well. I found a hint to go around the edge with clear fingernail polish to create a water proof seal. The goal being keeping water from getting between the glass and tint. I haven't filled my tank yet but you can tell it created a great seal and will probably work well. Plus its easy and cheap so it will be worth a shot.

20. ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa Member

okay great, I already have a small rock I plan on putting that GSP on. Even though you lost control of it theres something about a tank full of xenia or GSP that is so pretty.

isaacalves likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted