OP
ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today we had the first bad experience with our tank. While we were gone for the weekend visiting relatives our duncan decided to take a fall and landed right on top of the octospawn. Both were stung but the duncan took the brunt of the damage with half the original head completely stung up and lost 4 out of 5 baby heads. Not the worst thing that could happen but sad since the duncan was my favorite and was growing new heads so quickly. If anyone knows of anything I should do to help heal either one dont hesitate to comment.

OP
OP
ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time!
Thankfully everything survived hurricane Florence while we were evacuated for a week. Neighbors said that there was a 2 day power outage.
Since then I have noticed a couple of bad things though... Began to see some red planaria on the glass about a week ago. Since then they’ve multiplied. I decided to do a little research, and I guess they can become pretty big trouble. So I did some mechanical removal by suctioning them out through 1/4” tubing. Also gravel vac-ed the sand and did a water change... Would rather keep doing manual removal before dosing anything, but I may end up getting some kind of wrasse to see if that would help. Maybe a 6-line?
The octospawn has also been not as full as it use to be. I did do some rearranging of coral and seemed like it didnt like the new spot, so I put it back where it was before. Hopefully this was the reason and it will be back to normal soon.
Pics to come!

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time!
Thankfully everything survived hurricane Florence while we were evacuated for a week. Neighbors said that there was a 2 day power outage.
Since then I have noticed a couple of bad things though... Began to see some red planaria on the glass about a week ago. Since then they’ve multiplied. I decided to do a little research, and I guess they can become pretty big trouble. So I did some mechanical removal by suctioning them out through 1/4” tubing. Also gravel vac-ed the sand and did a water change... Would rather keep doing manual removal before dosing anything, but I may end up getting some kind of wrasse to see if that would help. Maybe a 6-line?
The octospawn has also been not as full as it use to be. I did do some rearranging of coral and seemed like it didnt like the new spot, so I put it back where it was before. Hopefully this was the reason and it will be back to normal soon.
Pics to come!
I'm glad the tank did ok, more importantly though I'm happy to see that you guys are ok after wards. What about your home? Any serious damage?

OP
OP
ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad the tank did ok, more importantly though I'm happy to see that you guys are ok after wards. What about your home? Any serious damage?

Our home did well through the storm. A slight bit of water damage from a leak through a window but other than that completely fine! However, many other houses around the lake got flooded out. Continued support and prayers for those affected would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update, but a very exciting one! My population of copepods seemed to be doing pretty well based off of the amount I saw on the glass, so I bought a female mandarin goby from my LFS 2 weeks ago. Sadly I think she is wild caught and is not yet acclimated to prepared foods or people... Regardless she is doing well and I check almost everyday whether or not I can see copepods in the sump and on the display glass. She’s absolutely beautiful, the blue on the fins is so vibrant it’s insane.
If anyone has any knowledge on how to adjust them to prepared foods I’d love to get some advise!
7a00304164f777bf96324bf3f0c00f92.jpg

OP
OP
ScottandAlisa

ScottandAlisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got these bad boys from the Black Friday sale that Coral Savers Live Sale had on FaceBook (go check them out if you don’t know about them! Still have some good deals!!) Excited to get them and see them in the tank!
f4a63676278b324729bfdf3f3135b07d.jpg
a9525afb2e4a795437ec0fd0c7df5e15.jpg
a6667019cc013fe3458b79d65572068b.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back