Our Reefing Addiction

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I do my Holiday shopping online, I cant help but to buy some goodies for my reefs as I look to have even better reefs in the new year. I'm gonna add:
- ZeoBak to all reefs
- Apocyclops Pods to all reefs
- A couple more powerheads for increased flow
- A new heater with digital readout for L/R display reef
- New t5s for SPS tank - 4x 6500k Tropic and 2 Super actinic
- New 40 gallon breeder for frags
- New 50 gallon tank for our 4 very large serpent stars
- New bulbs for Bio-Cube
- Once I get the new tanks running I will be adding more fish (probably at least 20 Springer Damsels and some herbivores)
What else do I need.....................?
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is just humming along.
- Increased vinegar to 5ml per gallon of R/O.
- Increased fish feeding a bit. The tanks were getting 1 frozen cube every other day. Now on the days I was not feeding each tank will get 1/2 cube frozen and a "quarter sized" seaweed that has been broken up.
On a side note, Looks like Santa picked up the 40 gallon breeder that was on my wishlist and delivered it early - Yay! It is going to be added to my garage system to house our huge serpent stars.
Cheers! Mark
Image-1.jpg

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Family gave me some Zeobak - bacteria for Christmas. Although I dont currently have any issues, who doesnt want a healthier reef. I am going to dose the little blue bottle into all the reefs til it is gone and then switch to a different brand in hopes of adding different strains of bacteria. I also got a small bottle of ZeoStart which I belive is just carbon dosing. I will be using that on only the garage system. My thoughts on dosing the bacteria is to introduce different strains to the reefs, but not dose it forever.
I also got my bottle of AcroPower and will alternate it with the ME Polyp Extender that I have been using. Never hurts to add a little amino.
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busy reefer day today. Emptied and sold my 200 gallon reef tank. It was 8 feet long and right in the spot I am going to put the new pinball machine. Lot of work pulling a couple hundred pounds of rock/sand and getting a temp tank set up to keep the rock alive for the new tank. Also got new tubes installed in the T5 fixture. I am gonna run 4x 6500k tropics and 2 actinic. Tomorrow I will try to get the stand finished and the new tank drilled.
Cheers! Mark
fullsizeoutput_da.jpeg

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please share some pics of the new lighting when you can. I'm curious to see how it looks and ultimately how the powerchrome bulbs perform. Thanks!
Sounds good! I am upgrading from cheap ebay tubes. I was running:
2- 10,000k
2- 6500k
2- actinic
I was starting to get a liitle red turf algae in this reef and was thinking it may be caused by the 10,000k tubes. This reef shares a sump with 2 other displays running MarsAqua LED and even though all 3 tanks are plumbed together only the t5 lit reef has this issue.
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is built, tank is drilled, and some water and rocks are cycling - YAY!!! The rocks have been cycling in 50 degree water for a couple months. I installed a heater into the new tank and will let the rocks cycle at a warmer temp. for a while and see if I get an ammonia spike before I finish the plumbing into the other 3 displays and sump. Still have more rocks to add. Gonna paint the stand when the temps outside warm up a bit.
Cheers! Mark
fullsizeoutput_de.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back