Our Reefing Addiction

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being non-photo, are they hard to keep?
Me and a few others trying, no one's been able to have them for long and thriving so we're trying to break that myth, but time is against us, we have to wait and see if we're successful. But it's time and patience

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me and a few others trying, no one's been able to have them for long and thriving so we're trying to break that myth, but time is against us, we have to wait and see if we're successful. But it's time and patience
Seems like they would almost have to live in a rotifer or pod culture system.

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning fellow reefers,
A question:
In what parallel universe is it a good idea to text a person that you dont know about corals at 1:07am - in the middle of the night?
Answer:
NEVER
When we are not growing coral, I run a home repair business. So that my clients (and family) can reach me in an emergency, my phone sleeps on my night table. It is plugged in and volume is on. Well it never fails that in the middle of the night someone thinks it is a good idea to send a text or 2 about wanting a frag - REALLY???
Dude!
it is the middle of the night, it can wait. You woke my whole family for a frag???

Anyway, enough venting. I need to check all 5 skimmers, add aminos to the SPS heavy system and do a water change. Then off to work - I work 7 days a week - and today I feel a little tired.
Cheers! Mark

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning fellow reefers,
A question:
In what parallel universe is it a good idea to text a person that you dont know about corals at 1:07am - in the middle of the night?
Answer:
NEVER
When we are not growing coral, I run a home repair business. So that my clients (and family) can reach me in an emergency, my phone sleeps on my night table. It is plugged in and volume is on. Well it never fails that in the middle of the night someone thinks it is a good idea to send a text or 2 about wanting a frag - REALLY???
Dude!
it is the middle of the night, it can wait. You woke my whole family for a frag???

Anyway, enough venting. I need to check all 5 skimmers, add aminos to the SPS heavy system and do a water change. Then off to work - I work 7 days a week - and today I feel a little tired.
Cheers! Mark
Well the price of that frag " Just Went Up In Price Dramatically " lol

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank #3 is my son's Bio-Cube 32 that my wife found for free on NextDoor:
thumbnail.jpeg

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"The Canary in the coal mine"
I havent been a big fan of Green Sinularia. Perhaps it is because it grows to easy? or because some people say it is a "garbage" coral? We do have a pretty good sized one in my wife's tank. It is always big and puffy with polyps fully extended. She likes it so I like it. About a month ago, I walked by the reef and it looked wilted. Very droopy with almost no polyp extension. I didnt pay much attention to this. The next day it and a couple other corals looked unhappy. Well I had forgot to flip the switch for the heater back on after doing some maint. a couple days prior. Temp. was 72. Turned the heater back on and a couple hours later the sinularia was happy again.
Today I walked by the reef and the sinularia was looking wilted. Dropped what I was doing and checked the temp. - 68 degrees. Heater failed. Popped another heater in and fingers crossed that I don't suffer any losses.
For me, I now love the sinularia as great warning that temps. are low.
Do you guys have a coral that you watch that is the first sign of an issue?
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
Daddy-o

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love trading corals. It is a great way to increase diversity at no-cost and you get to meet some great reefers! I really enjoy the trades where we are not trying to assign $ values to corals. You bring over some of what is growing good in your reef and then get to go shopping in our 6 packed reefs. Today @Urban came over. Great fellow reefer from Fremont. He brought over some frags of corals that we don't have in any of our reefs:
- Bio Reef Green Anacropora
- Cherry Corals Dark Knight Acro.
- ORA Red Planet
- Battle Corals Ultimate Table
- Green Slimer - we have some but I love this coral
Our tanks have are firing on all cylinders so we have a lot growing. We were happy to give him:
- Walt Disney
- Steve Tyree Gold Meister Chalice
- Space Invader Chalice
- Hawkins E.
- Paletta Baby Blue Stag
- Red Robin Stag
- Sniper SPS Pink Dragon Tails Acro.
- a nice Copps CalaCali
- Peter's Cousin It Acro
- Oregon Tort
Thank! @Urban look forward to more trades in the future.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back