OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think make this successful compared to the traditional method? Is the size of the container or the colder water temperatures? I want to replicate it but indoor, as I have no garden/balcony. Not sure if it works though, I tried with 2g jars and somehow they don't last long there. I fed them fresh nanno and kept some airline. My guess would be that with smaller containers it's much easier to overfeed or kill them with the remaining F/2 from the phyto.
In case I think I would need some light for growing the photosynthetic stuff inside?

Never cultivated them indoors.
What do you think make this successful compared to the traditional method? Is the size of the container or the colder water temperatures? I want to replicate it but indoor, as I have no garden/balcony. Not sure if it works though, I tried with 2g jars and somehow they don't last long there. I fed them fresh nanno and kept some airline. My guess would be that with smaller containers it's much easier to overfeed or kill them with the remaining F/2 from the phyto.
In case I think I would need some light for growing the photosynthetic stuff inside?
I have never tried to breed podsinside so I can only guess. Started out as a little experiment and was a success during the summer months here in the UK.
I believe the pods need to be kept warm for them to breed I would guess between say 18c and 28c but don't hold me to that.
Being outside they have plenty of oxygen in the air and less CO2 if they were indoors.
Natural sunlight allows the phyto to multiply and keep the pods in food.
A large container than is usually used indoors so more stable maybe.
The phyto helps filter the water naturally.

Greystoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if they would tolerate living in an area with regular high daytime temperatures and also large daily temperature swings like 95F/35C highs in the day to 50F/10C low at night? It is also very dry here in Colorado, low humidity and not very much rain.

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so confused. I was about to buy the expensive poseidon phytotank to set up a station in my garage but based on this post, I don't need any of that fancy stuff. Literally just a bin and a banana peel?

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if they would tolerate living in an area with regular high daytime temperatures and also large daily temperature swings like 95F/35C highs in the day to 50F/10C low at night? It is also very dry here in Colorado, low humidity and not very much rain.
Doesn't sound good for pods but you could try, there's little to loose

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so confused. I was about to buy the expensive poseidon phytotank to set up a station in my garage but based on this post, I don't need any of that fancy stuff. Literally just a bin and a banana peel?
Correct as per my how to. You may need to add a little nitrate plant food now and again to keep the phyto going.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phyto spores come in the old tank water I assume. The phyto feeds off the nitrate in the water . I add a little nitrate based plant food to keep the phyto going.
Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! :D

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you siphon the pods out? I am guessing you don't just pour the water with pods directly into tank?

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you siphon the pods out? I am guessing you don't just pour the water with pods directly into tank?
See Ying Yangs post above. No siphoning done in fact you never want to siphon as you want to leave the bottom etc as is. The eggs of the pods goto the bottom before hatching. Just leave the bottom and the pods will emerge when the weather warns up.

Hitchhik3r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See Ying Yangs post above. No siphoning done in fact you never want to siphon as you want to leave the bottom etc as is. The eggs of the pods goto the bottom before hatching. Just leave the bottom and the pods will emerge when the weather warns up.
Oops I meant to use the word sift, not siphon. I appreciate the explanation though.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct as per my how to. You may need to add a little nitrate plant food now and again to keep the phyto goin

I started to do this in a salt bucket in a spare room. Couldn't be easier. I need to get a net for this, what size mesh is recommended?
Cut up an old fine mesh filter sock

Greystoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it under shade in the Australian summer where temps often go over 100F 38c
Thanks for your input. Sounds like similar conditions, we also get waves when it's in the 100sF. Is yours under a porch or something, with no direct sunlight at any point of the day? The little dudes would have to endure some serious heat. Does the phyto need direct light?

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input. Sounds like similar conditions, we also get waves when it's in the 100sF. Is yours under a porch or something, with no direct sunlight at any point of the day? The little dudes would have to endure some serious heat. Does the phyto need direct light?
When I did this it was under cover.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • None.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back