Over sized skimmer??

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I purchased the Regal 250int for my new build and I’m thinking I went too big. The skimmer is still in the box with the original packaging. My tank size is a 210 with 50 gallon sump. The actual water volume of the tank is about 190 gallons when you do the math off the internal dimensions. And the sump volume would be around 22 gallons running 7 inches of water. So about 212 gallons total. And then you think about displacement from substrate and rock. I’ll probably be a little under 200 gallons when you account for that. I feed only once a day, so probably a medium biolaod. I was thinking of down sizing to maybe a Regal 200int.

I also like the Elite 220int and it has about the same footprint as my Regal 250int. It’s not quite rated for the same water volume, but I’m not sure I need it. The upside to the Elite is the skimmer body is removable from the base. And also the discharge is lower in the water, so I figured it would be quieter. And the silencer seems to be built for a quieter air intake. I even thought about the Regal 250sss. I know it’s rated the same as the Regal 250int, but at least the body is removable. I’m not sure why the ratings are the same bioload wise with both 250 models. Usually space saver models are less efficient due to the pump being in the skimmers body. Now when you look at the rating between the regal 200int and regal 200sss they are different on the BRS website. I do like the ease of maintenance on the Int models. But like the removable body on the elite line. The Elite sss models look like they’re more difficult to assemble/disassemble than the regal sss models. All this being said, I’m not sure what I should do. I likely send the skimmer back and do something a little smaller. After watching all the BRS videos on skimmers. Particularly the one on one “Choosing the right skimmer for the right job”, I think I might have over sized. So out of the models I talked about above, what are y’all’s opinion? Fish wise I’ll be keeping a yellow tang, blue tang, 7 azure damsels, melanurus wrasse, Royal Gramma, Clownfish pair, and Emperor angel. So the tangs and Angel would be the heavy bioload fish. Of course the less you feed the less they poop! Lol. I’d love to get some opinions on my current skimmer and the ones mentioned. Does anyone have experience with any of these models for this size tank? Then main thing is, I don’t want to over size: I have no idea why the recommended tank sizes for these skimmers are so different from one website to the next. There’s so many variables and every system is different. I think the manufacturer guidelines/recommendations are possibly over exaggerated.
AE657626-86FB-4A87-8D58-6DD02457C708.jpeg
1151037C-9003-4854-B468-8650ED047E16.jpeg
D9FDEE93-862B-41BD-AC13-D803F43302A9.jpeg
4EB0D99E-A761-443A-BCAB-1F349C637AA7.png

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

I would go with 200. The other would be overkill. I think either would be fine, it would be personal choice. I like space savers, but the int will probably perform a bit better. It may also depend on your sump space. I don’t think with you planned tank either one would be bad.

OP
OP
JCTReefer

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

I would go with 200. The other would be overkill. I think either would be fine, it would be personal choice. I like space savers, but the int will probably perform a bit better. It may also depend on your sump space. I don’t think with you planned tank either one would be bad.
I didn’t expect to get a reply. Ha! Thanks for your opinion on the matter. I have narrowed it down to either the Elite 220int or the Regal 200int. I’m thinking the only real advantage on the Elite is the ability to remove the skimmers body from the base plate. So cleaning would be easier. Performance would be about the same im guessing. Both are rated really close to the same “bioload wise”. One with gate valve and the other with wedge pipe. One made from acrylic and the other from heavy duty pvc. Space wise I have room for either. The skimmer area of the sump is 20”x22”... I emailed BRS and they said either would be just fine for my size system and it really comes down to personal preference. So what you said!!!! They were quick to send me a return shipping label.:D

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the reply was late. If you run into that again don’t hesitate to bump the thread or even pm me. :)

OP
OP
JCTReefer

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the reply was late. If you run into that again don’t hesitate to bump the thread or even pm me. :)
No worries on the late reply! I am just happy to get a reply! There’s so many new threads being posted these days! A lot of them slip through the cracks. Especially one like mine. There’s been a bazillion skimmer size questions posted. Kinda like “what is the best reef salt”? Lol! It’s been beat in the dirt a million times. So it’s understandable if no one wants to respond. No hard feelings here! I’ve been in the hobby for about 20 years, but still value people’s opinions! It never hurts to ask! Thanks again for your input:)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back