Overflow Box; does placement matter?

Terr-c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to drill a 55 gallon tank to put in an Eclipse overflow box. Does placement matter or is it a preference where you would rather have it for looks?

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful as many 55g have tempered glass which can not be drilled.

placement side to side is your choice. The height depends on where the water line will end up and is dependent on overflow design and somewhat based on flow rate.

OP
OP
Terr-c

Terr-c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful as many 55g have tempered glass which can not be drilled.

placement side to side is your choice. The height depends on where the water line will end up and is dependent on overflow design and somewhat based on flow rate.

Yes I shattered my first one, it ended up being tempered glass. This one is definitely all glass, I custom ordered it.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm getting ready to drill a 55 gallon tank to put in an Eclipse overflow box. Does placement matter or is it a preference where you would rather have it for looks?
I found with the eshopps overflow kit I had ( and several others) that the pattern placement means everything.
The way I interpreted the instructions after the holes were drilled and box mounted and tank filled with water, the waterline in the tank showed below the tank trim. Which just looked bad. I ended up gluing a thin piece of black acrylic inside the overflow box that raised the bottom of the teeth up a 1/2".
Make sure that when you do it, the bottom of the teeth need to be above the tank trim.
Hope this makes sense.

OP
OP
Terr-c

Terr-c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found with the eshopps overflow kit I had ( and several others) that the pattern placement means everything.
The way I interpreted the instructions after the holes were drilled and box mounted and tank filled with water, the waterline in the tank showed below the tank trim. Which just looked bad. I ended up gluing a thin piece of black acrylic inside the overflow box that raised the bottom of the teeth up a 1/2".
Make sure that when you do it, the bottom of the teeth need to be above the tank trim.
Hope this makes sense.

Awesome!! That is great to know! Thank you mfinn!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Awesome!! That is great to know! Thank you mfinn!
I suppose the best way is to measure the center of the holes on the pattern. And then measure the center of the holes on the overflow box. Mark where it will be on the tank and then measure to make sure the bottom of the teeth on the overflow box are slightly above the bottom of the plastic rim of the tank.
I realize not all tank trim pieces are the same. It might just be that your tank works out correctly just as it is.

OP
OP
Terr-c

Terr-c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose the best way is to measure the center of the holes on the pattern. And then measure the center of the holes on the overflow box. Mark where it will be on the tank and then measure to make sure the bottom of the teeth on the overflow box are slightly above the bottom of the plastic rim of the tank.
I realize not all tank trim pieces are the same. It might just be that your tank works out correctly just as it is.

Thank you mfinn, this is exactly what I was looking for! Good information.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 78.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back