Overflow box hairline crack sealing

cec009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I I have these small hairline cracks on internal overflow box.
I filled the back of the box and it does leak very slowly into the display tank.
What's the best way/product to seal these cracks and make it look decent?
I was thinking either some 2 part epoxy or super glue. Maybe silicone but I feel its a bit harder to make it look clean.

Thanks

PXL_20220920_150130943.jpg PXL_20220920_150142266.jpg PXL_20220920_150203022.jpg

OP
OP
C

cec009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if super glue, 2 part epoxy, or silicone ( or combination of the 3) would be best suited for this

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about them unless they where leaking into a dry area or above the drain line. Some of the new add on to turn a tank into a AIO have small gap all the way around the box that is held to the wall with magnets.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Depending on the plastic type Weldon is another option, it comes in different thicknesses. If it’s internal and you’re using stand pipes/silent over flow assembly I wouldn’t worry.

OP
OP
C

cec009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It is an internal overflow. I guess my concern is a pump failure and having the display tank leak into the box and flooding over the sump. My sump can handle if water simply drained to the weir height but not all the way to the herbie main drain several inches below.

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It is an internal overflow. I guess my concern is a pump failure and having the display tank leak into the box and flooding over the sump. My sump can handle if water simply drained to the weir height but not all the way to the herbie main drain several inches below.
no matter if the cracks are there or not if you lose power the water will drain all the way to shortest drain. So may need to increase size of sump if it can not handle it.

OP
OP
C

cec009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no matter if the cracks are there or not if you lose power the water will drain all the way to shortest drain. So may need to increase size of sump if it can not handle it.
If the internal overflow box is completely sealed wouldn't the display tank just drain to the height of the weir and the water inside the overflow box only drain to the shortest drain? The sump can handle it in this situation but not if the entire display tank also drains to the height of the shortest drain (which would be something like ~30 gallons out of the 100 gallon display tank.

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no it would drain to lowest drain. let me put it this way do you think water can just sit on top of a hole and not go down it? nope its going to take the path of least resistance that being the pipe down to the sump. sorry.

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the internal overflow box is completely sealed wouldn't the display tank just drain to the height of the weir and the water inside the overflow box only drain to the shortest drain? The sump can handle it in this situation but not if the entire display tank also drains to the height of the shortest drain (which would be something like ~30 gallons out of the 100 gallon display tank.
ok yes it will drain to weir but also the water in over flow box will drain to the lowest drain. sorry if im not explaining it right

OP
OP
C

cec009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok yes it will drain to weir but also the water in over flow box will drain to the lowest drain. sorry if im not explaining it right
Yes ok I think we are thinking the same thing then. If the pump stops and the display tank drains to the weir + the water in the overflow box drains to the lowest pipe, my sump can handle it.
But if the display tank is leaking into the overflow box through these hairline cracks, eventually the display tank will also drain to the lowest drain inside the box which would be too much water for my sump, which is why I need to seal these hairline cracks.

I think I'm going to try using super glue first on the cracks to see if it seals the water in the box. Just not sure if super glue will hold up to that pressure. Its a 100 gallon display tank with a 40 gallon sump, but the sump will probably only hold ~25 gallons.

OP
OP
C

cec009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are cracks both above and below the lowest drain in the overflow.
I may use flex seal to patch them up.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
@cec009 A product like weld-on fuses the plastic as opposed to a product that just adheres. You’d just need to double check the materials. On the other hand super glue might get the job done.

OP
OP
C

cec009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cec009 A product like weld-on fuses the plastic as opposed to a product that just adheres. You’d just need to double check the materials. On the other hand super glue might get the job done.

I see, I've never used weld-on but I am looking for a solution that would be more durable without making the box look like a mess. Do you think weld-on would be better than super glue. My concern is super glue may not hold under the water pressure long term.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I see, I've never used weld-on but I am looking for a solution that would be more durable without making the box look like a mess. Do you think weld-on would be better than super glue. My concern is super glue may not hold under the water pressure long term.

Happen to know the tank manufacturer? I did a Google search but I’m not finding what plastic internal overflows are of. I’ve used it to build acrylic boxes, fix sumps and replaced overflow ‘knock out’ covers in the past.

It fuses a few kinds of plastic and the thinner viscosities can really get into cracks. Attaching the label of the bottle I have on hand.

FB3F0D28-CDED-4C55-80A8-56A5BBA02190.jpeg

OP
OP
C

cec009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happen to know the tank manufacturer? I did a Google search but I’m not finding what plastic internal overflows are of. I’ve used it to build acrylic boxes, fix sumps and replaced overflow ‘knock out’ covers in the past.

It fuses a few kinds of plastic and the thinner viscosities can really get into cracks. Attaching the label of the bottle I have on hand.

FB3F0D28-CDED-4C55-80A8-56A5BBA02190.jpeg
The tank maker is CAD Lights. The model is 100 gal Artisan 2. To patch the cracks would you suggest the thinner Weldon 3/4 or 16?
I read also that weld on might make the cracks worse? https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/90290-fixing-cracked-acrylic/

Thanks!

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The tank maker is CAD Lights. The model is 100 gal Artisan 2. To patch the cracks would you suggest the thinner Weldon 3/4 or 16?
I read also that weld on might make the cracks worse? https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/90290-fixing-cracked-acrylic/

Thanks!

I read the thread. Seems to suggest that it’s just not solving the underlaying issue of why the cracks started in the first place.

I’ve always used 16 (or a thicker one).

Worth point that article is about an acrylic tank. Still need to make sure it’s able to the type of plastic your overflows are made of.

OP
OP
C

cec009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read the thread. Seems to suggest that it’s just not solving the underlaying issue of why the cracks started in the first place.

I’ve always used 16 (or a thicker one).

Worth point that article is about an acrylic tank. Still need to make sure it’s able to the type of plastic your overflows are made of.

I'm not sure how to tell what type of plastic the overflow is made of. I'm thinking its acrylic but not 100% sure. Maybe flex seal would be enough to do the job...plus it seems easier to get than weld on.

RealFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first try a thin bodied Weldon product. I've never fixed an overflow, but I've built a small sump before and the capillary action will pull the Weldon into the open space as long as it's not too large.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.tapplastics.com/image/pdf/PB-IPS2354.pdf

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back