Overflow

M1i1t1c1h1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I am posting way too much! I have been doing so much research lately. The more I research the more questions I have!
I am looking for a new overflow. My old one is way undersized and siphons directly from the tank (no holes bored). It is loud and very slow. I am looking at a few different options.
One of the ones I am currently looking at is the Eshopps Eclipse overflow box. The reviews that I have seen range on both ends of the scale. Some people swear by it, some people say it was overpriced for the quality. It has 2 holes drilled through the tank and has 3 different outlet holes (main, backup, and emergency). It claims to be extremely quiet, as do all other overflows.
Thoughts and opinions? What other brands do you suggest (sold in Canada preferably).

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't even remember the brand I used... it was so long ago. sorry. But any overflow with 3 drains should be able to be tuned to be dead quiet.

I just built my DT and for the first time I have all 3 drains and a gate valve on the main flow drain. It's almost too easy to adjust to quiet. BTW, a varialbe speed return pump can be quite useful as well.

Oh, it just popped into my head, it was a CPR siphon overflow. But back then it only had 2 drain holes.

OP
OP
M1i1t1c1h1

M1i1t1c1h1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't even remember the brand I used... it was so long ago. sorry. But any overflow with 3 drains should be able to be tuned to be dead quiet.

I just built my DT and for the first time I have all 3 drains and a gate valve on the main flow drain. It's almost too easy to adjust to quiet. BTW, a varialbe speed return pump can be quite useful as well.

Oh, it just popped into my head, it was a CPR siphon overflow. But back then it only had 2 drain holes.

I checked out that link you posted. I think the CPR Siphon is cool, but I don't want a siphon directly from the tank. I would definitely prefer a drilled connection (unless I find out my glass is tempered) in order to keep everything hidden on the back of the tank.

Does anyone have any information on KollerCraft overflow boxes? I don't see a tonne of information out there..

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to drill the tank, why not do a 3 drain full bean animal and build the overflow box yourself?

bean-animal-2.jpg

So this is how I did mine. It flows right at 900 gph which is what I wanted. It's the upper limit of what my return pump can do with a 4' head figured in.

20191125_170220.jpg

OP
OP
M1i1t1c1h1

M1i1t1c1h1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to drill the tank, why not do a 3 drain full bean animal and build the overflow box yourself?

bean-animal-2.jpg

So this is how I did mine. It flows right at 900 gph which is what I wanted. It's the upper limit of what my return pump can do with a 4' head figured in.

20191125_170220.jpg
Definitely a cool idea! It sounds like something I would do too.. My only concern would be longevity of the seams. For how many years would the seams last?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my 6th tank build and the oldest one is now 9 or 10 years old and still in use. What makes you think they won't last? It's not like the commercial tanks use anything super special so they are better and last longer.

Back