OVERSIZED CA REACTOR HELP PLEASE

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tanggirl12
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Tanggirl12

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 15, 2015
Messages
382
Reaction score
680
Location
Brandon, MS
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can I use an oversized reactor on my tank by just running a slower drip rate than usual?
I have a 225 sps dominant tank and dose approx 200 ml of Alk and Ca daily of Randy's recipe. I've got my eye on a good deal for a used set up but it's over rated. Reef Octopus 5000 with a bubble blaster pump. Holds 20-24 pounds of media. It will be run on a ph controller.

image.jpeg
 
Just run it with less media. You don't have to put 20-24 lbs of media in it.
 
When running a CaRX, you have to adjust the CO2 to match your effluent rate and tank consumption. It is not a set rate designated by the CaRX.

Either way, more or less media used, you'll have to adjust your CO2 input to set your desired pH in the reactor.
 
When running a CaRX, you have to adjust the CO2 to match your effluent rate and tank consumption. It is not a set rate designated by the CaRX.

Either way, more or less media used, you'll have to adjust your CO2 input to set your desired pH in the reactor.
I understand that, more water will take more CO2 to get desired ph. I'm going to try it full and see if I can cut the drip rate enough for it to work, if not I'll just get another reactor. Thanks for the suggestions. I found plenty of info on an undersized reactor but nothing about running an oversized one.
 
I've run 4 reactors, of all different sizes. My preference is to not cut the effluent rate too slow... you tend to get more clogs that way with precipitation at the the of the hose.

I ran an oversized Deltec (rated for 600 gallons) on my 215 gallon. I just put in half the media and ran the same pH at the 6.7 pH I normally run and basically same effluent rate. Yes, it will use slightly more CO2 because of higher water volume but CO2 is super cheap. I think I refilled my last 20-lb cylinder for $25 and it lasts me almost 1.5 years.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new