Overstocked or can I add just 1 more fish.

Warpigdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's a duplicate post but I wanted to change the title to hopefully get more of a response.

I have a 90g reef tank, just a couple corals right now but looking to expand. Also have a sapphire 39 (40 gallon sump, not full obviously about 2/3 full), reef Octopus classic 150ss skimmer, brs dual reactor. Good sand bed and rock. I’m on top of water changes and checking levels. I use 3 sock filters that get rinsed regularly.

I was wondering about my stock list and opinions in adding one more fish.
I’m wanting to add a flame fin/tomini tang but am not sure. I would get rid of the anthias only because I'm afraid of their need to eat so much. Or the purple firefish if I could catch it. But I’m sure my lfs is tired of me changing my mind. I was trading fish in quite a bit changing my mind, as my tank was set up as a FOWLR, and went to reef. Adding the Tomini Tang would make my tank have nearly every fish I desired for a tank this size.

Also as far as corals go would they count against the fish limit?

here’s what i currently have. They are all pretty small.

fish
Yellow Watchman Goby
Flame Angel
Bar Goby x3
Purple Firefish
Solor Fairy Wrasse
Lyretail Anthia x3
Clownfish - Frostbite x2

Inverts
Pistol Shrimp
Halloween Crabs x2
Fire Shrimp
Banded Shrimp
Fighting Conch
A really good cleanup crew

Corals
Zoa - Utter Chaos
Ricordea- Ultra
Candy Cane - Blue

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has different opinions on stocking. Some are going to tell you that’s too many others will say add as many as you like as long as your tank can handle the bio load. I’m in the middle. I’ll have a couple more fish than I probably should but my intentions are to get a bigger tank or rehome a few when they start bigger

OP
OP
Warpigdave

Warpigdave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may eventually get a 125G, but that's not going to be for 3+ years. If at all. I currently like the look of my 90 and how active it seems. Getting rid of the Anthias would decrease that. My clowns stay in 1 spot for the most part. My yellow watchman definitely does. My purple firefish doesn't swim around much either. I'm thinking I overstocked myself with the Anthias. They were the most recent add, but what happened is I wanted one and was appropriately told I should get 3. Now I'm regretting my choices again.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back