Overwhelmed newbie : )

legomaheggos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

As the title states, I am new to the hobby. My wife and I have dreamed of a saltwater tank for years and years and finally decided to buy one. Our tank is 125 gallon wide and we have a few babies in the tank! We have 2 Blue Tangs, 1 Yellow tang, 4 clowns, a foxface and a coral beauty.

I am looking at growing macro algae in my 55gal refugium. I was looking at some Chaeto, Dragons Breath, blue scroll, and Red graciliaria. I have a clip light that maxes at 150w with a 100w energy saving bulb in it currently. I have nothing to grow at this time. Will that light suffice to grow any of those algaes? I'm wanting to grow my tang some festive food to eat and maybe use some to decorate until it gets eaten!

The saltwater community can be very over whelming and divided on the needs of each species. I am hoping to have found a helpful community to be a part of and learn from!

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that a clip light would be safe around water. You might want to see about a light made for aquarium use.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 265

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum:rapture:

I think that bulb is sufficient enough to grow your choices of algae. You came to the right place for all your saltwater questions. There are a lot ppl here that are very helpful so ask away:)

OP
OP
L

legomaheggos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the light yet, planned on purchasing it in the morning.

This is the light I was planning on;

[light](Shop Bayco 150-Watt Incandescent Portable Work Light at Lowes.com)

Or should I get a canopy light for a 10 gallon aquarium and place it on top? I have about 6 inches of space to work with on top of my refugium to the top of the stand, tight space!

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the light yet, planned on purchasing it in the morning.

This is the light I was planning on;

[light](Shop Bayco 150-Watt Incandescent Portable Work Light at Lowes.com)

Or should I get a canopy light for a 10 gallon aquarium and place it on top? I have about 6 inches of space to work with on top of my refugium to the top of the stand, tight space!

I'm using one of those clip on from HD and 6k led bulb and I'm getting good growth with my chaetos

att

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I used back in the day, but be careful with the clip on because it could get knocked off in the h20. My sump was an old aquarium that I had so I put a piece of egg crate over that side as a fail safe. Also phosphates have to be present in your system in order for it to grow.

OP
OP
L

legomaheggos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using one of those clip on from HD and 6k led bulb and I'm getting good growth with my chaetos

Can't seem to find an LED bulb that would screw into that light. Would you happen to have a link to point me in the right direction? I'd be grateful

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
L

legomaheggos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I used back in the day, but be careful with the clip on because it could get knocked off in the h20. My sump was an old aquarium that I had so I put a piece of egg crate over that side as a fail safe. Also phosphates have to be present in your system in order for it to grow.

I believe I should be good to go as far as nutrients go. This aquarium/refugium set has been running for near 6 years. A friend of mine sold it to me for a really good price after he sold his saltwater business. Not sure what all is applicable, but to give an idea, it has 40lb of live rock in the tank, 10 in the sump along with established sand, it runs through a UV light before it goes back to the tank, but after it passes through where the plants will be. 9 total fish, all very small right now, with about 20 snails and 30 hermit crabs. I do not have coral so I mostly run a 50/50 reef light, but run metal halides on the main tank twice a week to help with growth on the live rock, but I doubt that will matter for the plants we are talking about. Not sure what is relevant, so I thought I'd just put the entire setup out there.

The only thing I am missing currently, is a protein skimmer. I plan on buying one within the next few months. I may put a piece of glass under the light for safe measures, but I plan on tightly securing this light one way or another!

OP
OP
L

legomaheggos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R !!! I have seen the clip on lights work as well. Like stated above just make sure it's attached well so it doesn't fall/get knocked into the water.

OP
OP
L

legomaheggos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the light installed, secured to a barrier on the fuge, shook it a few times and bumped it before I plugged it in to make sure it was safe. Will monitor it periodically throughout the next few months for movement. Can't wait to start seeing growth in my dragon breath and chaeto and start feeding the tangs some variety. The LED light is incredibly bright, probably gonna switch my house over to LED eventually. Puts off amazing light, never realized they made bulbs like that until now.

All I'm waiting on now is my skimmer to be delivered and I'll be set!

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the light installed, secured to a barrier on the fuge, shook it a few times and bumped it before I plugged it in to make sure it was safe. Will monitor it periodically throughout the next few months for movement. Can't wait to start seeing growth in my dragon breath and chaeto and start feeding the tangs some variety. The LED light is incredibly bright, probably gonna switch my house over to LED eventually. Puts off amazing light, never realized they made bulbs like that until now.

All I'm waiting on now is my skimmer to be delivered and I'll be set!

Pic of the fuge or it didn't happen:):bigsmile: lol

OP
OP
L

legomaheggos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get one loaded up in a few hours when I get home :). No judging though, the outside of the tank looks like poop with all the sand going down the sides! Putting doors on our stand soon!

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef. I use a 6000K CFL bulb in a shop light and get good results with Chaeto growth. Where in Kentucky are you?

OP
OP
L

legomaheggos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paducah KY. I ended up getting a Bayco 150w light clamp witha 60w LED light. Puts off a tremendous amount of light.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back