Owning a Reef Tank: A Trick or Treat?

Has owning a reef tank been a Trick or Treat for you, or somewhere in between?

• Trick

Votes: 29 9.0%
  • Treat

Votes: 147 45.7%
  • In Between

Votes: 145 45.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to say it's been all sunshine and rainbows but I've had a few tricks so far. My first tank was a 14 gallon that had dinos, ich, and after I had those two things in line it decided to split a seam. Now I have what was gonna be a temp 40 gallon tank but due to outside forces is going to be my main tank until January at the earliest. It started getting dinos due to the sudden move of the coral and fish from the previous tank but it's way more controlled now and now I know more to keep it in check.

More of a treat now that the 40 has settled in and the corals are starting to grow. But that first year? Yikes!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the experienced reefers tell the new reefers (aka me) that you need patience they are not kidding! One to two years to achieve stability is correct. This hobby can crush your soul and break your spirit if you let it. When I started I had no idea how different saltwater keeping is from freshwater. I think the secret is knowing what inhabitants can safely be added to your tank as it progresses. We newbies all want the instant reef. That way of thinking will crush you. Pace your expectations. My tank is going on 16mos old and it's just starting to stabilize. I have healthy, fluffy albeit easy corals but if anyone told me I would achieve this success last year when the uglies started to take off I wouldn't have believed them. I have come out the other side stronger (and now I probably just jinxed myself). LOL

FishFamilyRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beware! Very spoooooky picture below:

Attachments

• 78DEE99B-547F-4311-9DD0-64C61F5D6FAC.jpeg
    78DEE99B-547F-4311-9DD0-64C61F5D6FAC.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 56

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a treat for many years . In the beginning there are tricks for being successful and mitigating / managing failures . And even now every once in awhile something comes up that might be a little frustrating but over all the visual joy and calming effects make it truly a treat . :cool:

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This year has been a major trick! Between flukes and major livestock die off from that, tank breakdown for a seam repair and livestock die off due to stuffing too many fish in smaller tanks... I'm kinda over it as of late. But the view tho... That keeps me in the game. Now I'm running two tanks @ home and tending to another, thrice the trick, lol.

PXL_20220922_161030416.jpg

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time my tank is a treat. I have not had a total colossal crash since the late 90s when a heater malfunctioned. I have had painful reminders, (tricks) that even tanks that are simply run and have redundancy can not totally prevent the occasional regrettable incidents. Just last week I placed a large rock on top of some palys that are getting too invasive in the hopes that the lack of light would cause them to slowly wither and melt away. Instead they gave off toxins that killed a colt coral on the rock and then 3 yellow tailed damselfish. Uhhg! You'd think I would have known better but I did not.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I wouldn't say I have ever owned a reef tank as the tank really seems to own me! That's a good thing. Without the tank I would have wasted all my money on lottery tickets, house payments, and lawyers fees.

Happy Hocus Pocus GIF by Freeform

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Its been nothing but a treat but trick comes in every so often with acro. Just seems ever since I installed trident, I have high calcium which some acro have suffered. I have disconnected DOS and dose manually for now. The trident for those unfamilar sends message to Apex and DOS and does not dose anything
I set my DOS manually and just use trident for testing.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lil from water column A and a lil from water column B.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My 12g nano was always more stable than my 38g. I must be crazy thinking I want a bigger tank. Every time I think my parameters are stable, wrong! Dosing this or that, feel like I'm all over the place. It's been tricky, to say the least.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Through the ups and downs. I'm amazed by my reef every time I look at it. I have a tropical tank full of corals and fish i only seen in pictures. We are trying to replicate what God created.
I'm lucky my wife gave me a tank in October 2014 and said I want you to have a fish in it by Christmas. Till than it was just a dream.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back