Oxygen help???

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are absolutely normal to feel the way you are feeling. I didn't even know my first coral WAS a coral. You will make mistakes. You will have losses. With each of those, you will learn how to do it successfully, or at least know why it failed.

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get them bad. I really wish they’d come out with a nitrate one.
I'm not sure if this can be used on aquariums but it does claim to measure nitrate but the price tag is the biggest kicker. The problem with something like this is no one can really justify spending 300$ on a nitrate test because nitrate becomes rather trivial to some extent. We arent looking for an exact number with nitrates I look moreso for a ballpark range. Being able to see alkalinity at 8.3 vs just guessing the shade of a dripper test is much better because theres sort of a margin of error when we look at shades tests because we see color differently and can have issues differentiating one shade from another when they are so similar.
With nitrate I feel theres much more wiggle room in this margin of error because we dont need an exact number really just a ball park

Screenshot_20190918-002235_Chrome.jpg

Mayerlyn A

Entre_Jardines
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank yall all so much! Hopefully 6 months from now I wont feel like a complete dummy! My kids excitement makes it all worth it though!
6 months from now you will be a complete addict and already thinking about upgrading the tank. You found a great resource in this forum. I have learned soooooo much here. I would recommend watching the BRS video series as you will learn so much . They also carry a lot of the initial things you may need.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby can be quite a challenge at the start, so much to learn. But the people here will help you!

Can you tell us a little about what you did to set the tank up? Did you get everything at the LFS? Did you mix your own salt water, or did the LFS sell you saltwater in a container? Are you replacing the water that evaporates with fresh water, or salt water, or haven't you had to do that yet? besides the water, did you add anything else to the tank to get it started, maybe a bottle of bacteria?

The more we know about what you have done so far, the better we can help. From your posts so far, we get a sense that you are really starting from scratch, and need help with the basics, and that you are ready to learn. That is great!

There is a whole section of this community devoted to people who are new to the hobby: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/new-to-saltwater-reef-aquariums-post-here.130/ There are a few sticky threads (threads at the top of the forum) that may help you. There is also a whole section dedicated to the kind of setup you have - an all-in-one: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/all-in-one-aquariums-aio.388/ If you check that out, you will see threads started by people who are also new to the hobby who have JBJ tanks, you may be able to learn from those as well.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm..... So very surprised everyone suggests the 52 weeks of reefing series, but no one mentions @Bulk Reef Supply for supplies!

bulkreefsupply.com for everything and anything you will need for the tank. While there are often times cheaper options(amazon, ebay,etc), I personally like to support companies that support the community. And no one supports the community more then BRS. Once you get a couple orers in, you can sign up as a prefeered reefer and get points on evertyhing you purchase(along with free shipping!). When I initially setup my tank many years ago, I accumulated enough points to buy my first vortech free of charge. That perk is a nice one!

OP
OP
MANDAMARIE

MANDAMARIE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby can be quite a challenge at the start, so much to learn. But the people here will help you!

Can you tell us a little about what you did to set the tank up? Did you get everything at the LFS? Did you mix your own salt water, or did the LFS sell you saltwater in a container? Are you replacing the water that evaporates with fresh water, or salt water, or haven't you had to do that yet? besides the water, did you add anything else to the tank to get it started, maybe a bottle of bacteria?

The more we know about what you have done so far, the better we can help. From your posts so far, we get a sense that you are really starting from scratch, and need help with the basics, and that you are ready to learn. That is great!

There is a whole section of this community devoted to people who are new to the hobby: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/new-to-saltwater-reef-aquariums-post-here.130/ There are a few sticky threads (threads at the top of the forum) that may help you. There is also a whole section dedicated to the kind of setup you have - an all-in-one: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/all-in-one-aquariums-aio.388/ If you check that out, you will see threads started by people who are also new to the hobby who have JBJ tanks, you may be able to learn from those as well.
The tank was brand new jbj 28nano cube. All equipment is stock only thing we added was a heater which is set to 77°. When we set up the tank the day after we added turbo start. All water is from the LFS. I have added some fresh from LFS if water was lower in the back but I was told the water needed to be about a inch down in the back which i think the girl got confused thinking i was talking about the front so my back has been too high and the water wasnt filtering well but all my water test have been great so far! We added 2 clowns on the first week and a clown goby the 2nd or 3rd week he wasnt eating the mysis shrimp that the clowns ate so we added some copepods to the tank and our clowns went to town eating them. Havent seen any site of any so not even sure if they have any left but the clown goby did eat them. Later he still wouldnt eat mysis so they told us to try the rods food which FINALLY he ate some and now eats at the mysis now too! Yes we are starting fresh! We have never had a salwater aquarium before but I have 2 kids 5 and 2 and they told me a great starter tank would be this one bc it has a top and all so the kids cant put things into it. My Hope's are to have a mini reef tank and eventually get a seahorse only tank too which they told me you dont want to do seahorses and fish together. Not sure how everyone feels on here about that I wish I could put one in my tank I have now but they said it's not a good idea so I have to learn this tank first before I even think about another! We also have a blood shrimp since that was all my husband wanted.

Grape_City_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size doesnt matter too much, most can agree what parameters are acceptable. For example
Nitrate ~5ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm
Phosphate under .05 ppm
Calcium 420ppm
Alk 9dkh
Salinity 1.025

Most test kits will say what's "acceptable" a 100g and a 10g will have basically the same parameters if they have the same goals for the tank. I would order a all in one liquid test kit as soon as you can
I probably should finish reading the thread prior to posting but, where size comes into play is how quickly parameters change. I think this is a good analogy for easy understanding:

If you have two containers of boiling water a Dixie cup (small tank) and a five gallon bucket(large tank) and you add a ice cube what do you expect to be the results?

You could probably tell a very large change in the dixie cup temp, but the five gallon bucket would probably not change at all.

Now to relate this to a fish tank fresh or salt, imagine dosing, adding premixed saltwater, topping up, adding food, etc. Any addition to a small tank will have large consequences same as the ice cube in the dixie cup. That is why larger tanks appear to be more stable.

Grape_City_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any possibility you could attach a picture of which one? Or who to order it from? That's another question? I'm all about helping out and supporting my LFS but who else online could you get things from where I dont have to keep going back and forth?
I agree I love supporting small local businesses my wife is one of them. But unfortunately not all stores are created equal, I have two LFS within 30 mins of my home. But I have come to the realization that they are there to sell more then assist, don't get me wrong they try to help but they are not advancing with the modern technology, products, and systems available to today's consumer. I have luckily found two suppliers one clownish/fish breeder and a coral vendor both 1-1.5 hrs away from my home in different directions that together create a great resource for us.

My whole point is you may have to look else where to help you learn and get the products you want/need. R2R is definitely one of them...

Mayerlyn A

Entre_Jardines
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is one of my favorite threads on cycling a tank. It seems based on the timeline that the tank simply was/is not yet ready to support fish. The tank needs to establish in order to be able to process ammonia. Ammonia is harmful to the fish and the likely cause of the little clown dying.

You can search the forum for seahorse info. There is a lot of great info on that, but they are very finicky and require lots of care and experience.

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably should finish reading the thread prior to posting but, where size comes into play is how quickly parameters change. I think this is a good analogy for easy understanding:

If you have two containers of boiling water a Dixie cup (small tank) and a five gallon bucket(large tank) and you add a ice cube what do you expect to be the results?

You could probably tell a very large change in the dixie cup temp, but the five gallon bucket would probably not change at all.

Now to relate this to a fish tank fresh or salt, imagine dosing, adding premixed saltwater, topping up, adding food, etc. Any addition to a small tank will have large consequences same as the ice cube in the dixie cup. That is why larger tanks appear to be more stable.
Yeah, the post bout size of tank and parameters was that she was wondering if there is a chart for what parameters need to be at certain sizes. She was wondering if parameter requirements change with size and not asking about the dilution effect. But good point I shoulda brought it up lol

chris jones 105

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any possibility you could attach a picture of which one? Or who to order it from? That's another question? I'm all about helping out and supporting my LFS but who else online could you get things from where I dont have to keep going back and forth?
Bulk reef supply (on line) AKA BRS

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a skimmer in the back? If there is a skimmer then the O2 cannot and will not be low at night. If there is no skimmer, and the water in the back chamber is too high, there will not be enough aeration since there will not be any "waterfall" effect as water flow from the main chamber to the filter chamber. At nigh when the light is out, the O2 level may drop and cause hypoxemia and kill fish, some or all of them. Invert tolerate these episode with no significant problem.
Problem like this can be seen in tank that does not have a sump and does not have a skimmer. I think the LFS may be right in diagnose your problem. If this is the case , fish will died overnight with no visible problem during the day. Can solve this by lower the water in the filter chamber, or put an air stone somewhere in the tank.

chris jones 105

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a skimmer in the back? If there is a skimmer then the O2 cannot and will not be low at night. If there is no skimmer, and the water in the back chamber is too high, there will not be enough aeration since there will not be any "waterfall" effect as water flow from the main chamber to the filter chamber. At nigh when the light is out, the O2 level may drop and cause hypoxemia and kill fish, some or all of them. Invert tolerate these episode with no significant problem.
Problem like this can be seen in tank that does not have a sump and does not have a skimmer. I think the LFS may be right in diagnose your problem. If this is the case , fish will died overnight with no visible problem during the day. Can solve this by lower the water in the filter chamber, or put an air stone somewhere in the tank.
No skimmer in my 30 gallon jbj.

20190824_201527.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think MANDAMARIE tank is small, with COVER top, minimal flow, not at all the same as Chris Jones's tank (high flow with an MP40 in adition to the circulation pump. From what I read so far, while not certain, it is not at all far fetch to think that there maybe hypoxemia at night in MANDAMARIE's tank.

Small children that can reach the tank is a problem. A danger for them and for the tank. Move the tank out of reach. You need to have a open top (screen top) for air exchange. Either that or put an air stone to the back chamber. Good luck.

chris jones 105

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has glass top also due to shedding dog, also has mp10 not mp 40. Ran my jbj full of water in the back and never lost a fish. And I'm sure her return pumps r pushing close to 600 gallons back into the tank per hour,( plenty of oxygen)...

20190824_201603.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris,
I have a 30 gal cube tank that I used for QT. have 2 MP10 in it for circulation, open top, not glass cover. I have healthy fish died overnight in it due to hypoxemia. I solved that problem by put an air stone in the tank.
It does happen. There are a lot of other factors that compound or mitigated hypoxemia. Health of the fish, number of fish, how active fish are, is there anything else in the tank that consume O2. How much photosynthesis activity going on prior to the light goes out, thus how high the O2 is in the tank before the light goes out and a bunch of other factors.
It is not far fetch, IMO even likely, that MandaMarie's fish is killed with low O2 at night. It happened to me. The inverts and algae are totally unaffected. I use this tank to QT corals, clams and anemones. I don't QT fish. The pair of clown fish that died were a healthy pair of breeding clownfish that I have for long time. I keep them in there when I am trying to shuffle my pairs around. They were fat, healthy and were breeding. They did not died from disease. Here healthy eating up a storm the night before and dead without wound in the AM.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back