Oyster Reef Importance

Teebo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be old news for some of you, but I recently learned about oyster reefs in nature and how they are just important to the shore in some areas as coral reefs and mangrove trees. The same way coral dies and leaves a carbonate skeleton for new coral to grow on, forming a reef shelf, is carried out with oysters. It may just look like a pile of bleached carbonate but it is very important.

I saw a video showing a comparison of how fast some oysters can clear a tank filled with green algae water, I was shocked how well they clean the water column. Since they are filter feeders I assume it would be way too much maintenance to care for them in a reef tank? I wonder if coral can or does grow on old oyster reefs since its a perfect base for them, except many oyster reefs are very shallow being exposed to the air for too long during low tide to support coral life.

Just raising some awareness of oyster reefs on the forums. Cheers.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool info. Thanks for sharing. :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the custom phyto drips and culture available nowadays and with a fifteen inch deep sixteen year old sandbed that's never been touched they'd grow

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back