Ozone generator

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at ozone and am still reading about it so not committed to running it on my tank yet.

It seems as everything in the hobby an ozone generator for Marine costs hundreds
Yet you can buy an ozone generator for very little
Am I missing something? Is there a reason why something like this can't be used for a tank ?
Screenshot_20210304_100906.jpg

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Specifications
Size: about 27 x 19 x 7.5cm(10.63 x 7.48 x 2.95”)
Ozone production: 600 mg / h
Power supply: 220V, 50Hz
Power consumption: 12 W
Maximum operating time: 60 minutes per use
Function Time controller: 5-60 min

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ozone in my tank. I have the Ozotech Poseiden unit. I has an air line that allows you to control where the ozone goes. So what I'm not seeing on the unit you have pictured, is a way to control where the ozone goes. Where's the airline hookup? I inject it into my skimmer. Also, you don't necessarily want a timer. I use a Milwaukee ORP controller and use that to turn on an off the Ozotech unit. I wouldn't do ozone without a controller or at least an ORP monitor. It is also a European outlet and a 220V unit. It's not compatible with US power (Unless you aren't in the US).

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ozone in my tank. I have the Ozotech Poseiden unit. I has an air line that allows you to control where the ozone goes. So what I'm not seeing on the unit you have pictured, is a way to control where the ozone goes. Where's the airline hookup? I inject it into my skimmer. Also, you don't necessarily want a timer. I use a Milwaukee ORP controller and use that to turn on an off the Ozotech unit. I wouldn't do ozone without a controller or at least an ORP monitor. It is also a European outlet and a 220V unit. It's not compatible with US power (Unless you aren't in the US).
I was thinking the same as you. I also have the same ozone generator as you have. Not sure how the one the OP was referencing would work without a way to pump air through it.

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.
I have an ORP controller to operate it I was just wondering if they are all the same
One cost very little the marine stamped ones cost a fortune

The one I've listed has an air line the pumps out the ozone
Screenshot_20210318_172713.jpg

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason is because ozone equipment for reef tanks requires hose barbs on the inlet (to draw dry air) and outlet (to direct your ozonated air into the tank).

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a hose bard really worth the extra money?
I understand dry air makes the plates last longer, I'm not sure how this unit draws air in or how easy the plates would be to replace.
The unit has a hose to direct the output into the skimmer or wherever you want to pump it

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only the Corona discharge ozone generators need dry air. My Ozotech is a Corona discharge generator. The UV ozone generators don’t. So if this is a UV generator, then you don’t have to worry about an air dryer. The other thing mine has is an adjustable output. But I don’t know how important that is, because I set it once and haven’t touched it in years. As long as you are properly monitoring your ORP, it is probably worth a try...

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can dial back the output, I would. It looks like my Poseidon is a 200mg/hr generator and the one you’re looking at is 600mg/hr. So if you can set the output to about 1/3, that would then give the same output as the aquarium generators. And that seems to be a good rate.

Also, don’t forget to find a way to minimize getting the ozone into the air you breathe. I have my skimmer air exhausted out of my house through a 1” vinyl hose. So I never smell stinky skimmer water or ozone. Some people use carbon to try to trap ozone, but I have never done that myself. But have a plan to minimize your contact with the ozone gas. It is not something you want to breath in regularly. And you’ll know it , because it has a distinct odor.

OP
OP
A

Aaronreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can dial back the output, I would. It looks like my Poseidon is a 200mg/hr generator and the one you’re looking at is 600mg/hr. So if you can set the output to about 1/3, that would then give the same output as the aquarium generators. And that seems to be a good rate.

Also, don’t forget to find a way to minimize getting the ozone into the air you breathe. I have my skimmer air exhausted out of my house through a 1” vinyl hose. So I never smell stinky skimmer water or ozone. Some people use carbon to try to trap ozone, but I have never done that myself. But have a plan to minimize your contact with the ozone gas. It is not something you want to breath in regularly. And you’ll know it , because it has a distinct odor.

I'm using a co2 scrubber on the skimmer, air inside is recirculated.
Any idea if ozone will cause any ill effects to the soda lime media ?

Not sure of the output is adjustable on the unit. 600 is a little higher than the average aquarium unit. I'm guessing it just means it's not on for as long ? Not sure I think for the price I might try it and keep a close eye on it over a weekend to see if it's any good for long term use

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same as you. I also have the same ozone generator as you have. Not sure how the one the OP was referencing would work without a way to pump air through it.

Is a hose bard really worth the extra money?
I understand dry air makes the plates last longer, I'm not sure how this unit draws air in or how easy the plates would be to replace.
The unit has a hose to direct the output into the skimmer or wherever you want to pump it

As I understand it, the air dryer prevents the production of Nitric Acid and also ensures that your machine is producing a quality ozone concentrate. @Randy Holmes-Farley is the person I'd ask.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure of the output is adjustable on the unit. 600 is a little higher than the average aquarium unit. I'm guessing it just means it's not on for as long ? Not sure I think for the price I might try it and keep a close eye on it over a weekend to see if it's any good for long term use
Soda lime requires humid air, which is the exact opposite of the dry air that ozone requires.

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the ozotech 220 and have never used an air dryer i used to have it hooked to my orp but now just run it on a timer for a few hours before my lights go on the water is always clear and i never noticed a difference in clarity from running it 24h to the 4 i run it now

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 50-100mg/hr. 24/7 on my 90 gallon. No ORP monitor or controller.. The only drawback I've seen is xenia melted and a couple of peppermint shrimp died when I was up around 150mg/hr. Stay under that 1mg/gallon 24/7 mark, and you don't "need" orp control. I will say, my very old ozotech generator was far superior to the wiepro one I got off of Amazon. Thw wiepro is of far east origin, and it clogs with nitric acid crystals about every 2 months. Air dryer is optional on an ozotech. I found the same "amount" of ozone from the ozotech corona discharge tube is more powerful and effective than from the newer types that use a ceramic disc type generator. They are nor superior. They are cheaper to manufacture, so companies will say what they want to sell them to you. I will being going to ozotech or enaly soon. It's not that scary. You'll smell the ozone before it gets to harmful levels in the air if you have a leak. I am using a diy reactor, and I run no carbonnon the effluent air or water. Like metal halide, it's not a completely dead technology, but rather not applicable to most situations. I'll never run a tank without ozone again

Tuan Vu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Aaronreef did you ever get a conclusion on this? I just did same set up, found your post, and am curious about your experience.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 92 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back