Ozone. Why don't we use it anymore?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by saltyfilmfolks, Oct 28, 2017.

1. ZaneTer

ZaneTer Well-Known Member

I have used ozone for the last 2 years. Water clarity is unmatched but I only run mine for less than an hour a day. I run a triton system so no water changes and a very large amount of chaeto. Within a month yellowing can be noticed if I don’t run ozone.
    Mine runs straight into the skimmer and my ORP rises to a max of 300. I am not chasing ORP figures. I wanted it to keep my water clean and it does exactly that.

rkpetersen likes this.

2. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Do you notice macro faunal changes ? Depending on the amount used?

3. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Lol.
    They were marketing really big ozone machines for a while to clean the air in houses and apattments , especially out here on the west coast and the Lovely LA smog. Caused a few problems in small city apartments.

Uh, when did culottes go out of style ?

4. Want2BS8ed

Want2BS8ed Active Member R2R Supporter

Oh what I learn here on R2R... had to look up culottes. LOL

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  5. rkpetersen

rkpetersen walked the sand with the crustaceans R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019

I don't think so, but very hard to say. I did notice more life in the sandbed after I decreased my overall ozone use (and ORP dropped below 400), but I had also stopped vacuuming the sand a month or so earlier and my refugium was becoming more productive as well. I have not been a very good scientist, changing multiple variables in overlapping sequence; cause and effect were not well documented. ;Meh

As far as corals, nems, fish, snails, etc; I never really noticed any effect I could clearly attribute to ozone. I have noticed negative effects from many other supposedly safe things, sometimes as simple as a water change.

6. DanConnor

DanConnor Active Member

I run it into my skimmer nightly for a few hours in the middle of the night. My reef octopus skimmer has a handy fitting that makes it easy. I tried a Geo reactor but the configuration of my system made it hard to implement; need to sell that I guess.

7. tigé21v

tigé21v Active Member

I've always thought a speece cone would be the best way to introduce ozone into the water column, but I've never seen an example of anyone doing it.
    Anyone here ever try it?

Draft saved Draft deleted