Pacific Blue Tang

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! So your tank is still relatively new probably not a lot of bacterial film, maybe put them in a container and feed them asterina starfish and mollusks if you can find some, I think that's what they eat other than bacterial films

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! So your tank is still relatively new probably not a lot of bacterial film, maybe them in a bin, and feed them asterina starfish and mollusks if you can find some, I think that's what they eat other than bacterial films
Live mollusks and what mollusks

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams, and oysters. Sometimes they'll take it sometimes they won't. I guess it depends on the starfish, also remember when doing water changes to keep ph temperature and salinity, exactly like your tank so the starfish don't experience a change

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams, and oysters. Sometimes they'll take it sometimes they won't. I guess it depends on the starfish, also remember when doing water changes to keep ph temperature and salinity, exactly like your tank so the starfish don't experience a change
Should I feed him something like hikari clams

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may prefer live food but no harm in trying. You're in Australia right? Maybe you can go to docks and find sponges they might also eat that too, unless your inland

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think any linkia are appropriate for a nano long term.

Linkia stars aren’t appropriate for any reef tank frankly. Getting 1-2 years out of one would be very good going actually. Most starve and fall apart much sooner that’s that. Their natural diet consists of bacterial film and sponge. Just not enough of either to sustain a starfish in most home tanks. Brittles are scavenges and will happily eat leftover fish food.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Linkia stars aren’t appropriate for any reef tank frankly. Getting 1-2 years out of one would be very good going actually. Most starve and fall apart much sooner that’s that. Their natural diet consists of bacterial film and sponge. Just not enough of either to sustain a starfish in most home tanks. Brittles are scavenges and will happily eat leftover fish food.
If I buy a sponge and put it under him how long would that last

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably an expensive diet but possible if you really put in the dedication. But should really be an expert only or not at all caring for them but since you already have him best to leave him

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably an expensive diet but possible if you really put in the dedication. But should really be an expert only or not at all caring for them but since you already have him best to leave him
How do I know if he is hungry

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit or miss, I suggest you try it once and if it doesn't eat it then forget feeding it that kind of stuff.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually, I just might setup an 100 gallon tank, keep it running for 2 years, throw in a mass amount of sponges and liverock and one blue Linckia starfish just to have one lol

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually, I just might setup an 100 gallon tank, keep it running for 2 years, throw in a mass amount of sponges and liverock and one blue Linckia starfish just to have one lol
I will ask my LFS next week and are sponges even easy to care for and what do they do

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not easy to care for at all, they cannot be exposed to air, need to be feed a lot of phytoplankton and have pristine water. Your best bet is to see if your LFS can take it back but if not you can try your best with sponges in the tank

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not easy to care for at all, they cannot be exposed to air, need to be feed a lot of phytoplankton and have pristine water. Your best bet is to see if your LFS can take it back but if not you can try your best with sponges in the tank
Is that for sponges? I exposed a brittle star to air for a minute and he is well... In the rocks but the blue licktia was exposed for 20 seconds and I put in upside down and he lived

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only sponges, starfish shouldn't really be exposed but better than sponges.

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would use the technique people use to move puffer fish. Just fill up a container with the tank water you acclimated the fish to and put the fish in the container so it is always in the water. This is freshwater but it still gives you the general idea of how to do it. Make sure to acclimate it first though. Haha :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back