Pail sailfin tang

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes 4" in a 125 hes always like that color, is it normal? He eats, he does everything, hes fed nori with selcon/high quality pellets each once a day, parameters are okay, hes not bullied or anything, lots of caves

07CABB94-870D-450E-A54F-3BE2028D9572.jpeg 76D55555-4C8F-42E4-A00A-F51004FB21A0.jpeg 8A682F7E-DDE3-439E-B9FE-4367E41B0D56.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes 4" in a 125 hes always like that color, is it normal? He eats, he does everything, hes fed nori with selcon/high quality pellets each once a day, parameters are okay, hes not bullied or anything, lots of caves

07CABB94-870D-450E-A54F-3BE2028D9572.jpeg 76D55555-4C8F-42E4-A00A-F51004FB21A0.jpeg 8A682F7E-DDE3-439E-B9FE-4367E41B0D56.jpeg

Typically being pale is a sign of stressed tang fish. Blue tang seems light but you don't call that out so perhaps anomaly of photo in above.

How long has the fish been in that tank? What are your water parameters in that tank? How long have the water parameters been stable in that tank, and if there are ranges, what are your ranges for water parameters in that tank?

That tank is SO clean is seems like brand new tank.

FYI some fish can be lighter than others ... but that tank is SO clean in above photos that instead want to rule out water quality...

Then want to find out if you are feeding occasional nori.

Quality feeding can prevent issues with tangs long term. In addition to fresh macro algae (which is optional) or dry nori (which should be considered required), these are some of the foods I feed mine:
Frozen Food as of 2021-05-13.JPG

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree.....tank looks to be very new with minimal rockwork. I think he is just stressed and adjusting. How long has he been in there?

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree.....tank looks to be very new with minimal rockwork. I think he is just stressed and adjusting. How long has he been in there?
The rocks are really scattered right now thats why it looks emptier, when put together and on top of each other its a live rock wall (which looks xactly like a reef wall), tank has been running for 4 months now, theres no coralline algae because I have not introduced any. Theres no green algae because my white light is very weak and have not introduced it, all I've put in the tank is food and rodi warer, hes been there since 4 months ago, he eats nori with selcon and hq pellets, sometimes spirulina flakes, ammonia is 0.25 nitrites near 0, nitrates 15ppm

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks are really scattered right now thats why it looks emptier, when put together and on top of each other its a live rock wall (which looks xactly like a reef wall), tank has been running for 4 months now, theres no coralline algae because I have not introduced any. Theres no green algae because my white light is very weak and have not introduced it, all I've put in the tank is food and rodi warer, hes been there since 4 months ago, he eats nori with selcon and hq pellets, sometimes spirulina flakes, ammonia is 0.25 nitrites near 0, nitrates 15ppm
I am not understanding....you are saying right now the rocks are scattered but normally they are stacked? Every time you move rockwork around it "resets" territories and can start the stress period over again. I would set the tank up as you intend to have it and just leave it so the fish can all adjust. I am still shocked there is 0 algae or diatoms...even with room lighting you can grow that stuff. I grew GHA in the dark in Brute garbage cans lol. Also, I assume you are using API tests for ammonia?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back