Painfully slow acro growth

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a few frags roughly at the same time. In 4 months, the Fruity Pebbles, Bill Murray, and Pink Millie more than doubled in size but the Pink Floyd, Wolverine acros, and Rainbow Loom practically stayed stagnant.

What do you guys do to nudge these guys along? I’ve snipped them a few days ago to encourage growth. Move them to stronger light/flow?

IMG_4541.jpeg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a few frags roughly at the same time. In 4 months, the Fruity Pebbles, Bill Murray, and Pink Millie more than doubled in size but the Pink Floyd, Wolverine acros, and Rainbow Loom practically stayed stagnant.

What do you guys do to nudge these guys along? I’ve snipped them a few days ago to encourage growth. Move them to stronger light/flow?

IMG_4541.jpeg
They do what they do.
Some base out for a long time.
Some go right into growing.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try moving them to different light/flow spot but otherwise they look happy and healthy and pretty ok for 4 months. I have a pink millie from BC that’s still just encrusting after a year…

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As above, some grow faster than others. My Pearlberry hasn't really changed much over a year, but others around it have grown fantastically.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in the middle of the tank, underneath the Radion at 75% peak (have not measured PAR). Flow is plenty — middle path of 2xMP40s at 90% Reef Crest. I could move them way on top though but others around them are growing like weeds!

I’m taking guitar lessons and been playing tunes to them. Perhaps my bad notes stunned their growth? Hmm

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in the middle of the tank, underneath the Radion at 75% peak (have not measured PAR). Flow is plenty — middle path of 2xMP40s at 90% Reef Crest. I could move them way on top though but others around them are growing like weeds!

I’m taking guitar lessons and been playing tunes to them. Perhaps my bad notes stunned their growth? Hmm
Well flow sounds fine… just give it time.. I’ve had some not do anything for months then one day just take off and sprout branches and grow like a weed! My asd rainbow Millie is the latest one..

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok maybe i was checking an older build thread in your signature? I saw an xr30 with 2 small bars

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was shocked how low the par was with my radions at 70% intensity when I par measured. Both lights now run 100% with significant coral growth.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience Grasshopper... I purchased my TGC Redwing as an encrusted "cookie" There was no vertical branches yet, just the top of the frag plug completely encrusted. It stayed that way with great color and PE but zero growth for three years. I had pretty much decided it wasn't ever going to do much, then suddenly it started branching and growing like crazy. It's now one of my faster growing pieces.

TGC Redwing.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a walt disney thats still just a nub from the original frag I bought 2 years ago. Nice and coloful, plenty of PE, just doesn't grow. Other acros have since tripled in size, and friends that got their WD around the same time have put on substantial growth.

Sometimes they just do what they want to do.

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Acros like to be mounted pointing out from a rock. Sideways mounting. Don't ask me why, but every hard to grow Acro I've ever had I take it from straight up to mounting is sideways and it takes off.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proximity is going to be an issue for you very soon. Once they begin to encrust coral warfare will begin. Keep in mind that the slow growers will be overtaken unless you intervene on their behalf. Best advice I can give you is to keep those slow growers protected until they do take off.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_4541.jpeg
Play classical music to them and put some cricket on TV.
The growth will seem really fast compared to a game of cricket.

Patience.

I have a Strawberry shortcake which has been encrusting for almost 2 years but it hasn't grown upwards at all.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some acros like "Walt Disney" are super slow growers. As in years for meaningful growth, in most cases. Eventually they get big all on their own. If you are looking to grow them out quickly to sell frags, then a specialized frag tank with proper lighting, flow, and dosing equipment can make them grow a little faster.

Also, for established (6 months or more and encrusting), stubborn frags, nipping the tips (1/4") off will usually stimulate growth. I don't suggest cutting new frags though. The Disney on the left is 2 years old, the acro on the right is one year old.
PSX_20230429_201040.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back