Pairing a melanarus?

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shipment coming in that has a male melanarus included with my order. What (if any) are my chances at pairing this guy with a female? Also, how are they with other wrasses (thinking of adding a few different wrasses possibly later on)? Thanks

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male is about 5-6" and doesn't bother a thing. I can add any fish including other wrasses without a problem, but it could be just the individual. I have heard of some being aggressive and eating hermits etc.. if I were to add a female it would be smaller and still in juvi coloration.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male is about 5-6" and doesn't bother a thing. I can add any fish including other wrasses without a problem, but it could be just the individual. I have heard of some being aggressive and eating hermits etc.. if I were to add a female it would be smaller and still in juvi coloration.

Thanks. I only have a few hermits (currently knocking over frags), so no worries, but I heard that too. I appreciate the response Mike.

Country Boy using tapatalk on his EVO

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OT..I like your avatar..I just got an Indo-Regal and after about a month and half I have it eating almost everything and isn't bothering any corals...I had to give my PBT, in my avatar, a time-out until the Angel establishes itself in the DT....how is yours with corals etc..

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OT..I like your avatar..I just got an Indo-Regal and after about a month and half I have it eating almost everything and isn't bothering any corals...I had to give my PBT, in my avatar, a time-out until the Angel establishes itself in the DT....how is yours with corals etc..

I'll find out this week. She has been with my Picasso clowns and black tang in qt. Prior to getting her, my DT broke out with ich (my mistake of no qt on another fish). She eats nori, pellets, flakes, mysis and enriched brine. I couldn't be happier. I have a few clams and few lps, so we'll see. She isn't going anywhere even if she likes corals or clams (she has became my pride n joy).

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Pairing" shouldn't be an issue; males/females are easy to distinguish with this species. Note however wrasses don't "pair"; think Anthias not clowns here, it's all about dominant and submissive.

As for adding other wrasses later, as with any Halichoeres YMMV. It usually works, but not always.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Pairing" shouldn't be an issue; males/females are easy to distinguish with this species. Note however wrasses don't "pair"; think Anthias not clowns here, it's all about dominant and submissive.

As for adding other wrasses later, as with any Halichoeres YMMV. It usually works, but not always.

Thanks. The Lfs has a female, but I passed on it for now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back