Pairing Black Cap Basslets

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who here has done it? Just bought 2 black cap basslets online direct from a diver in Florida and hoping to get them to form a pair. I can separate them into separate tanks if they decide they hate each other or if both show up as XL males.

I've paired this species before without issues, but was able to pick 1 larger and 1 smaller from the store, and it was an 8'x4' 380 gallon tank. The tank they will be going in is a 65 gallon tall, only 3' across, but will have about 75 lbs of rockwork and a lot of corals.

OP
OP
Fishfreak2009

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of my previous breeding pair in the 380 gallon tank.

IMG_20161012_095606675.jpg

OP
OP
Fishfreak2009

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to update this:

Fish arrived today. They look great, other than the larger one is missing the point on the upper part of his tail fin, but it should regrow. The larger specimen is roughly twice the size of the smaller, and they are getting along great in the quarantine. They are already eating TDO and NLS pellets, and seem to have settled right in. They were given a 90 minute bath in Ruby Reef Rally Pro as a prophylactic for velvet and Brooklynella, and will be treated in quarantine with cupramine and praziquantel.

I will try to get picture tomorrow. Lights are already out for the night.

OP
OP
Fishfreak2009

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To update this:
The larger of the 2 was dead this morning. No idea what happened or why. Body looked perfectly fine in photo, and can't exactly talk my wife through a necropsy over the phone.

Looks like I'm just going to have 1 in the tank for now, I may add a small one down the road if I can find one.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 54 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back