Pairing Potter's Angels

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I recently realized that I have 2 male + 1 female Potter's Angels in different tanks. They are fairly easy to sex. The males are larger and have more purple. The females have more orange.

MALE

male-MakuaOahu100ft_zps424bdfa4.jpg

FEMALE

femalepotter-MakauOahu100ft_zps22c471e9.jpg

I have a 29 gallon holding tank in the dining room that I can see from my living room (to watch for aggression). So, I put a female + male in there; with the male going into an acclimation box to start. There is also a Yellow Coris Wrasse + a couple of black mollies in this tank, so the angels' attention wouldn't solely be on one another.

The female showed aggression towards the male through the box at first, but calmed down after an hour or so:

I got impatient and let the male out after only a few hours. Everything was going great between them, but then just before lights out the male was aggressively chasing the female all over the tank. So, back in the trap he went. :rolleyes: But then the female started hovering around the trap, acting like she's upset that "her man" is locked up. :p

The next day I let the male out again, and everything has been fine ever since. A little chasing here & there, but nothing too serious. I've noticed sometimes the male goes back into his "man cave" (I left the door to the acclimation box open) whenever he needs some alone time. ;) I guess its sorta like when a guy goes into the bathroom for 30 minutes to get away from it all. ;)

The happy couple begging for food:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a size or age appropriate for sexing? I've always been curious is mine is male or female.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty interesting! Do other dwarf angels have sexual dimorphism? What's your goal with the pairing? Just for fun, or are you trying to breed them?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty interesting! Do other dwarf angels have sexual dimorphism? What's your goal with the pairing? Just for fun, or are you trying to breed them?

I haven't decided yet. Wife wants to keep them, but we will be moving in early 2020. I've got a friend who wants them.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if kept alone its likely female?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if kept alone its likely female?

If small and mostly orange around/above the anal fin then you probably got a female.

However, if it's a larger specimen with mostly purple around/above the anal fin then you must have bought a male.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous fish!
Great post humble :)

This is pretty interesting! Do other dwarf angels have sexual dimorphism?
Flame angels are another that have definite differences between the sexes others not so much, also some are so aggressive to other dwarfs(lemon peels) that perhaps dividing the tank for a few weeks might be better than an acclimation box and taking careful notes of their interactions.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is well known and documented sexual dimorphism in a bunch of the centropyge. In addition to the Flame and Potters, the Rusty, Whitetail Pygmy, Herald's, Keyhole, Resplendent, Shepards, and Interruptus all exhibit permanent sexual dichromatism. With a number of others showing temporary changes during courtship.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back