Palani tang

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped by my lfs a few nights ago to pick up some food. While I was there a friend and employee tried to talk me into the palani tang they have. Evidently they didn't mean to order it and it came in with a shipment a while ago and haven't been able to sell it. According to him (he's been to my house and seen my setup) I have enough room. I'm interested but unsure.

The problem is I can't find much information on them. Hope big do they actually get? I've seen differing accounts. I found several different pictures even. The only thing the lfs could tell me is it is a palani tang and it will get big and more color.

Next issue. It's sick. It wasn't a couple days ago. My lfs won't sell it to me until it is healthy, so it isn't a huge issue. They actually do a pretty good job caring for the fish they have. I'm just curious I guess. The first was eating and swimming fine. The color change and white botchy coloration is the concern. Any ideas? The best pictures I could get are attached. Thanks
bdb6e8acf70f1d674106ad253731bc51.jpg
fa227466517eefe3e1b5586e966ca9f7.jpg
3856692880e8240b0a41688c6cbcea4a.jpg
2b3b8bd1a1116137df6207520b29c34c.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly suspect velvet and maybe even flukes. Closer pics?

Is it swimming in to powerheads? Flashing? Scratching? Hiding and hiding from light? Spots? Dusting?

I’d start copper ASAP and get it to therapeutic levels within 24 hours (several small doses)

Last edited:

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like and is confused with the Dussumeri tang. They are not as vibrant in color as Dussumeri tangs and they grow close to 2 feet long. You’ll need a very large tank!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it’s just the pictures, but that looks more like some kind of bristletooth tang. Does not look at all like this to me...
IMG_6766.jpg
It’s an acanthurus but as juveniles they do look somewhat similar! :)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily's advice above is as good as any that I could offer.

If it's any resemblance to the Dussumieri, then it'll mature to be a gorgeous fish! We have a Dussumieri at the local public aquarium in, I would guess, a 7-800 gallon tank - and I wouldn't go any smaller!

~Bruce

OP
OP
B

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so two feet long is a bit much for my 220 I'm guessing.

@4FordFamily As for the illness, no to all of the normal symptoms. No flashing, hiding, or swimming into the power heads. He are in front of me while I was there with a very healthy appetite. I don't see any white spots, only the blotchy white coloration. My friend who works there and he said he went into copper tonight after closing. Sorry for the poor cell phone pictures, it was all I could get with an impatient for year old tugging at my arm pointing out every fish and coral in the store. I will see if I can get any better pictures, but it is not likely until he is out of qt at the store. That means I probably won't see him for two weeks at least.

I wasn't really sure this is the fish for our tank, but the mystery was intriguing!

OP
OP
B

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I think so too! I'll let them know they have a fan here!

I asked about their qt policy once when I was too new to know what I was looking at and they took me through the back room. Everything that comes in goes through prazi, copper and a week of observation before selling. Anything that gets sick goes back to be treated before they will sell. I had no idea this wasn't standard practice. They have their flaws like any business in any industry, but they truly try to care for their fish and it shows.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bulldog07 I recommend dosing a mild antibiotic, such as Kanaplex, in conjunction with copper. Metroplex wouldn't hurt either. He could be developing an infection.

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily's advice above is as good as any that I could offer.

If it's any resemblance to the Dussumieri, then it'll mature to be a gorgeous fish! We have a Dussumieri at the local public aquarium in, I would guess, a 7-800 gallon tank - and I wouldn't go any smaller!

~Bruce
An LFS near me has a solid 18" dussumieri in a 6ft tank, it looks very healthy but its so sad to see if pace back and forth in such a small tank

OP
OP
B

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is pretty small right now. I don't want to get into the re-homing game though. I have a hard time imagining a two foot fish being happy in a six foot tank. Without moving that covers two-thirds of the tank, so that is probably not the fish for us.

OP
OP
B

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend at the store told me the tang has his color back. Is it possible he temporarily lost some of his color when someone scraped algae earlier in the day? I know my foxfaces change their color at the drop of a hat, but my sailfin doesn't.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
B

Bulldog07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

aquaticcentral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
old thread i know, but update on the tang ?

yes a LFS i totally agree.

and man i want that 18" (20" by now) dussum. got an 1800g with his name on it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back